Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Monica, CA (LIVE 18 Feb 2022, 62 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way I'm going to let my kid eat greasy burger and french fries in the Tesla.
I have no issue eating anything in my car. There really aren’t any materials that are easily damaged. I am careful, and if I screw up and make a mess, I clean it up. The car always looks and smells new. Well, except for ski trips when the car is a total mess. Still, always cleans up well.

Reactions: GaryW
Wow. Your tweet made quite an impression. :cool:

Thanks to @WalterB for finding this permit and to @Chuq for starting this thread!

This will be a somewhat unusual location for a Supercharger as it is well off a major freeway/highway route. My guess is that the charging stalls will be the “Urban” type.

Look forward to reading future posts showing the progress of construction!
Well, technically... Santa Monica Blvd is CA HWY 2... :D

• Funny
Reactions: M0DEL J
Well, technically... Santa Monica Blvd is CA HWY 2... :D

I hate to break it to you, RedSage.

The California legislature relinquished SR2 within the City of Sta. Monica and other points east at various times during the '90s.

However, the Transportation Commission directed those communities to keep Santa Monica Boulevard "signed" to direct motorists to its true legislative beginning, US101.

While it may be signed as SR2, it is not part of the California Highway System and is not eligible for state funds for upkeep, maintenance, and other needs. Santa Monica Boulevard is merely another city street.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: tich and TaoJones
Yes, drive-throughs, which is how I initially misinterpreted this site to be. I am not familiar of any location where someone gets delivered food to eat in their car while simultaneously hooked up to a gas pump.
Yes, because it takes like 3 minutes to fill up your tank, so before the food could be prepared, you would be finished pumping and moved to a different location. Food delivery at a gas pump wouldn't make much sense!

If they DO put in a few restaurants, they need to also have a place to move your car to once it is fully charged. Otherwise that $.40/minute idling charge will become a major part of the profit center!

Given how little info there is about this development, it's hard to guess, we don't know how much focus will be on the restaurant vs supercharger side of things. Will it be a restaurant that happens to have superchargers in the car park? Will they cater to non-Teslas wanting to eat (and park) there? How much influence will Tesla have over the operation of the restaurant?

It would be a good guess to say they'll be interlinked in some way. e.g. the food service side of things will be run such that the food can be ordered, served and eaten in the time takes to charge; or perhaps they'll just put SC posts at *every* stall, so moving isn't a thing; or perhaps there just wont be idle fees here.

But it could just be that it's nothing to with Elon's tweet and it's just a normal restaurant that happens to have an 8-bay supercharger in the car park, nothing different.