TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Santa Monica Place, Parking Structure 7 (LIVE 19 Feb 2019, 10 Urban stalls)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by emupilot, Jun 4, 2018.

1. mlebl1h

mlebl1h Member

Sounds like an awesome drive. I'm assuming you'll have to do most of the Trans Canada Hwy on L2?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It does indeed sound like a great trip! Since it will span the continent and involves dozens of Superchargers, please continue discussing it in this thread I created about it in the North America forum at Plan to drive a Model 3 Performance across Canada and the US . Thank you.

3. WalterB

WalterB Member

electrical permit for supercharger:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 6.35.17 PM.png

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. jvanyc

jvanyc Member

Anybody seen any movement on this?

5. rrosenbl

rrosenbl Member

Have not walked the parking lot recently but the window coverings on the new store have changed, after some private event was held there last month.

6. callmesam

callmesam Member

Drove the lot last weekend and there were no tell-tale signs.

• Informative x 1
  7. Alanant

Alanant Member

The Santa Monica Place Superchargers look like they are going to open imminently. 10 in total, 8 outside and 2 undercover (one handicap). Here are some pictures that I took yesterday and of the construction over the past few months. The trench along 4th Street was probably 25 to 25 feet deep and required the temporary relocation of a bus stop for about a month.

Not sure why the signs say "30-minute general parking"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Because planning/zoning rules require a certain number of general parking spots be maintained for a given square footage of commercial floorspace. Switching general parking stalls to dedicated EV charging stalls would push them under the limits and the planning/zoning boards usually won't allow the property owners to outright convert them all. So what normally happens is that they give a variance to allow a few spots to be charging-only and then put a time limit on the rest so that they can still be counted as general parking. If you're using the supercharger you should preferentially choose to charge in one of the "general parking" stalls if possible, that way you leave more of the dedicated stalls open to hopefully reduce the potential of ICEing. With the Urban-style chargers there's no speed penalty for using a paired stall.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Alanant

Alanant Member

Thank you @mocaif9 for the explanation. For reference, all of the 10 stalls have the 30-minute general parking sign. Santa Monica Place also has five generic chargers: four ChargePoints, and one Clipper Creek. A block away is the 2nd Street parking structure. It has 28 generic chargers if I recall correctly.

• Informative x 2
  10. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Will one have to pay for using these chargers? If so, what’s the time limit for free parking? And I’ve parked there before — are these on the roof of the parking structure? WooHoo!!!

11. Alanant

Alanant Member

@MelaniainLA its 90 minutes free parking. I assume that to use them you will need to pay Tesla.

• Love x 1
  12. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Thanks!! Very nice. Enough time to get a charge. If you have free supercharging you charge for FREE!!

13. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Finally I don’t have to go to Culver City when I forget to charge my X or 3 and realize I only have 20 miles of range left.

14. plugzinSD

plugzinSD Member

Interesting; first I've seen where the auto-transformers are mounted atop the rectifiers. Guess it saves space!

• Love x 1
  15. miimura

miimura Active Member

South San Jose also has this arrangement.

16. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Great news! Planning a trip to Santa Monica over Christmas and I was actually looking a convenient spot to charge close to my friend's place in Santa Monica.

17. jvanyc

jvanyc Member

I don't have any certain knowledge but from what I saw it looks ready to go. Probably waiting for inspections and testing. It's a nightmare garage during day especially at christmas. Plan for off hours and you'll be less frustrated.

18. jvanyc

jvanyc Member

D41E8D9B-769D-405C-B50D-7DD0D221BC0A.jpeg 87F8F7DA-FA4C-49AA-912A-09831FCE6679.jpeg C2E7FAC7-9C2D-4863-A531-F837E5DBF275.jpeg 35CF9B41-65FD-49BD-A6E7-E76D92EDC7E3.jpeg 8976C668-D9F6-4533-A42A-B616F2776952.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. plugzinSD

plugzinSD Member

General reminder/warning; apparently Santa Monica is one of those municipalities that looks toward the lack of front license plates as a way to fill the city coffers. Perfectly legal, understood. I'm sure the local enforcement team will be all over this location once it goes live.

Word to the wise...

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  20. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Very true. 2 tickets so far. Also ticketed there for not having ALL the carpool stickers in place (just had one rear one in the far bottom right corner).

That is why they’re called Soviet Monica!

Now I place the front plate on my front windshield when parked :)

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1