Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Place (LIVE 19 Feb 2019, 14 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I walked the mall 5-days ago and noted a street front store (referenced in the Santa Monica Daily Press article "Tesla taking retail space on the first and second levels of the mall, near the entrance at the intersection of Broadway and the Promenade") that looks to be the future Tesla store (1st image) and in the adjacent lot (2nd image) there are already a row of EV (paddle & J-1772) dedicated parking spaces where the Superchargers might go given the electricity infrastructure already in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1861.JPG
    IMG_1861.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1860.JPG
    IMG_1860.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 328
It's most notable that these spaces (all or most) will likely be dedicated to use by the Tesla Store).

In the article linked to by WalterB (emphasis added):

“Tesla will be engaged in sales of electric vehicles similar to how it operates in other shopping malls, using the 10 parking spaces for parking and charging of the tenant’s test drive vehicles and for parking by its customers,” said the report.

That said, even if all 10 were always available for public use they would still be very busy.

Reactions: rrosenbl
Regular Tesla wall chargers. That’s what they use to charge test drive demo vehicles at Tesla stores. With Model 3 demos coming they need many many more spaces.
Did you look at the permit that was linked?

Tesla EV Charging Station
395 Santa Monica Pl - Installation of EV Charging Station for Tesla Vehicles. Project will include the installation of (5) Tesla charging cabinets, (10) Tesla charging posts, (1) QED switchgear and (1) utility transformer

Heh... Chuq beat me to it...

Urban chargers in place of L2s would be a nice touch. Since Tesla will pay exorbitant rent and other fees for the mall space, I don’t know how concerned they need to be with providing any Clipper Creeks either. Let the property management firm deal with that (see South Coast Plaza for a decent L2 deployment that includes well-marked spaces and one dedicated Tesla space replete with HPWC).

Not Supercharging stalls
The building permit language suggests they are very likely Superchargers.
Tesla EV Charging Station
395 Santa Monica Pl - Installation of EV Charging Station for Tesla Vehicles. Project will include the installation of (5) Tesla charging cabinets, (10) Tesla charging posts, (1) QED switchgear and (1) utility transformer

Here's hoping that is in place by end of September. I will be driving my new P3D+ end-to-end on Interstate 95 then the Trans-Canada-Highway then end-to end of Interstate 5 coming back to Santa Monica to begin the end-to-end of Interstate 10. It would be superb to start I-10 with a Supercharger.