Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gustine, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very true. And the Santa Nella location is nicely positioned for north/south travel on I5. It fills an obvious hole in the California Supercharger network.

Although there are a few very crowded Supercharger locations in California I think Tesla is doing a good job trying to keep up with demand. Once Buena Park and Santa Ana open that is going to help a lot along that stretch of I5.

And of course there are other new Supercharger locations in the works, some of which we certainly are not aware of yet.
Given how many Tesla there are in SoCal and how overcrowded the superchargers are around that area, I am pretty sure Buena Park and Santa Ana will be overwhelmed and running at full capacity within the first week of opening.

Given how many Tesla there are in SoCal and how overcrowded the superchargers are around that area, I am pretty sure Buena Park and Santa Ana will be overwhelmed and running at full capacity within the first week of opening.
Okay Mr Glass Half Empty. I guess there is no point in Tesla bothering to complete those locations because they will be useless.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. It won't take too long before we start reading comments on this forum about how full these sites are and how 'locals' are taking up the spots. It will sound just like San Juan, Fountain Valley and Burbank. Bottom line is, no location is safe from criticism in SoCal. At least not yet.

Reactions: ggnykk
Okay Mr Glass Half Empty. I guess there is no point in Tesla bothering to complete those locations because they will be useless.
Obviously having extra two more superchargers are great news and much better than nothing. I am just saying Tesla needs to build more. Maybe you can take a look of the stats at this thread. California ranks the worst on the list in terms of Tesla/ supercharger stall.

Tesla Supercharger Stats

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Not everyone is driving to/from the Bay area tho...

Wow - someone got out of bed on the wrong foot.

"The value I see..." I think made it clear that this was a pure personal viewpoint. The response could have been stated in a more positive way like "it allows me to skip Harris" or similar.

Santa Nella is a key location for different people for different reasons. I am just happy Tesla is building it.

Thanks for helping confirm. I posted a quick note about it back on 9/25 on the Tesla forum, but didn't get much info. Should of come here first. I see this as being a great stop for Sacto to LA or Orange County. Now that the second one near Buttonwillow ("Bakersfield" Stockdale highway) just opened with 10 stalls plus 10 more at Buttonwillow and 12 stalls here, hopefully take some stress off Tejon and Harris Ranch. Otherwise, Manteca, Harris Ranch, Tejon for the smaller battery Teslas. 2 stops Sacto to Huntington, just like in the old Volvo.

Is there more than 100 miles between any supercharger on I-5 now? I think the gaps are closed.

As mentioned above, Kettleman is another great stop on the route. I think it is only about 30 miles from Harris Ranch. A great duplicate for the Buttonwillow pair of sites.

This will make trips to/from Morro Bay easier. On my most recent trip I had to stop at Harris Ranch, Mantecca, and Corning. Santa Nella to Corning is a bit long, but doable. Atascadero to Santa Nella is no problem. Hopefully they will put in another SpC between Mantecca and Corning soon, that will make it painless (as long as charging speeds aren't glacial).

Thanks for helping confirm. I posted a quick note about it back on 9/25 on the Tesla forum, but didn't get much info. Should of come here first. I see this as being a great stop for Sacto to LA or Orange County. Now that the second one near Buttonwillow ("Bakersfield" Stockdale highway) just opened with 10 stalls plus 10 more at Buttonwillow and 12 stalls here, hopefully take some stress off Tejon and Harris Ranch. Otherwise, Manteca, Harris Ranch, Tejon for the smaller battery Teslas. 2 stops Sacto to Huntington, just like in the old Volvo.

Is there more than 100 miles between any supercharger on I-5 now? I think the gaps are closed.

As mentioned above, Kettleman is another great stop on the route. I think it is only about 30 miles from Harris Ranch. A great duplicate for the Buttonwillow pair of sites.

There are lots of gaps more than 100 miles, Manteca to Corning is 172. Corning to Mt Shasta is just over 100 miles. In Washington and Oregon there are a number of gaps longer than 100 miles, though I think the longest is about 130 miles.

Between Los Angeles and the Bay Area the superchargers are beginning to get spaced to a larger battery car can skip superchargers and still make the next one, but in the NW they are often a little too far apart to skip so you end up having to stop at every one. If they put superchargers halfway in between the existing ones hitting ever third one would be possible in a 90D barring weather degrading range.

Between Los Angeles and the Bay Area the superchargers are beginning to get spaced to a larger battery car can skip superchargers and still make the next one...If they put superchargers halfway in between the existing ones hitting ever third one would be possible in a 90D barring weather degrading range.

Bit of OT, but it will be interesting to see what kind of spacing we'll get, especially on well traveled Tesla routes. Right now, you will minimize total trip time with hitting superchargers something like every 50-100 miles (lots of variables...). But...most people don't want to travel like that, understandably so.

I suspect we'll end up with something more like 20-30 mile spacing (where feasible) on the real heavily traveled routes, in CA that would be bay<-->socal, bay<-->Tahoe, socal<-->Vegas, etc. Spacing that almost makes trip planner irrelevant: you just drive until you feel like stopping or you run low on juice, then you charge as long as you want and continue on as far as that charge will allow.

Bit of OT, but it will be interesting to see what kind of spacing we'll get, especially on well traveled Tesla routes. Right now, you will minimize total trip time with hitting superchargers something like every 50-100 miles (lots of variables...). But...most people don't want to travel like that, understandably so.

I suspect we'll end up with something more like 20-30 mile spacing (where feasible) on the real heavily traveled routes, in CA that would be bay<-->socal, bay<-->Tahoe, socal<-->Vegas, etc. Spacing that almost makes trip planner irrelevant: you just drive until you feel like stopping or you run low on juice, then you charge as long as you want and continue on as far as that charge will allow.

I've seen the calculations for frequent stops, but I don't think they take all the variables into account. When you have to slow down, get off the highway, find the supercharger, then get back to the highway and get going again, you're going to burn time and energy that isn't part of the calculations. The Manteca supercharger is, I believe, 7 miles off I-5. When I stopped there, highway 120 was backed up due to construction and it took me a bit to find the supercharger. The SpC is tucked away in the back of a very large shopping center. I made a wrong turn and it doubled the time it should have taken to find it.

The Manteca SpC is the furthest out of my way I've had to go to supercharge, but most of them take a few minutes to get to.

I've mapped out getting from home down to Central California, adding a supercharger in Roseburg, OR and another just north of Sacramento somewhere would make supercharging a lot more efficient. I can get from home to Rosebug without too much trouble (about 200 miles), then Roseburg to Mt Shasta is an efficient run. Finally Mt Shasta to north of Sacramento would be another 200 mile run.

Soon the SpCs south of Sacramento will be spaced efficiently for any destination if traveling on I-5, though 99 could use a couple more SpCs.

I've seen the calculations for frequent stops, but I don't think they take all the variables into account.

I think EV trip planner is actually a pretty accurate resource--the inflection point on minimizing trip time for most close charger 'pairs' is 50 miles. My '50-100 miles' was an attempt to sort of gloss over the actual distance, specifically because of the variables and people's specific experiences with specific situations...

In any case, more superchargers is always better.

Soon the SpCs south of Sacramento will be spaced efficiently for any destination if traveling on I-5, though 99 could use a couple more SpCs.
I agree I-5 efficiency is mostly solved when Santa Nella opens. Visalia would be very helpful for 99. Now you can't quite get in and out of Sequoia/Kings Canyon from the south without using a destination charger somewhere.

sec509.jpg
sec544.jpg
sec548.jpg

I drove by the Santa Nella site today. Still wrapped up. Looks like there are some light standards that are missing as well as a transformer on the pad (pad poured between Tesla equipment enclosure and the tree..not visible in photo), but all the Tesla supplied components look complete.