Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Rosa, CA (LIVE 20 Nov 2019, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Just noticed this sign at the corte Madera chargers. Wonder how long that has been out.
@channing saw and reported a sign at the Corte Madera superchargers saying that there were 20 stall superchargers coming soon to Novato and Santa Rosa. Based on that I was able to find a Santa Rosa building permit for one on Santa Rosa's online permitting portal--Record B19-1548. They are going in at the Coddingtown Mall. Interestingly, alongside the superchargers Tesla is also going to install a storage system with 4 PowerPack batteries.

Address: 380 Coddingtown Ctr, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
GPS: no information on exact siting within the property

Santa Rosa.JPG

@BlueShift @Chuq

Last edited:
Great job, mociaf9! I gave up on checking the Santa Rosa permitting system when they put in the Rohnert Park supercharger. I am going to avoid mentioning a certain letter and number (one should be sure before claiming a unicorn sighting), but between the 4 PowerPacks and one switchgear for 20 pedestals, this does not sound like the kind of set up we are used to.

Reactions: Ulmo
Great job, mociaf9! I gave up on checking the Santa Rosa permitting system when they put in the Rohnert Park supercharger. I am going to avoid mentioning a certain letter and number (one should be sure before claiming a unicorn sighting), but between the 4 PowerPacks and one switchgear for 20 pedestals, this does not sound like the kind of set up we are used to.

I'd guess a typo of "1" for "10" is more likely? I doubt any supercharger would be be able to support 20 stalls with a single switchgear unit. (The revision-that-won't-be-named would need 5 for 20 stalls IIRC.)

I'd guess a typo of "1" for "10" is more likely? I doubt any supercharger would be be able to support 20 stalls with a single switchgear unit. (The revision-that-won't-be-named would need 5 for 20 stalls IIRC.)
The switchgear is just the big breaker box that distributes the power from the utility transformer to the individual Supercharger cabinets. 10 Supercharger cabinets for 20 stalls can easily be supported by one switchgear box.

The switchgear is just the big breaker box that distributes the power from the utility transformer to the individual Supercharger cabinets. 10 Supercharger cabinets for 20 stalls can easily be supported by one switchgear box.

Ah, I stand corrected. But in that case, it sounds no different from a typical install with storage. Curious that the supercharger cabinets aren't explicitly mentioned in the list of things to install.

Probably because Teslas ownership data shows there are increasing numbers of cars in the area. Also, locations may be easier to come by than they are on the SF Peninsula.
North bay has been severely lacking in SuCs compared to the Peninsula, South Bay and Tri-Valley. The density in those areas is very extreme. Glad to see there is acknowledgement of the NorthBay Tesla owners.

Reactions: AlasCon and PLUS EV
Judging by those cabinets it will be a V3 Supercharger!!!
No. They have not installed any of the charger hardware. The Supercharger cabinets and pedestals are all missing from the installation. That is all the Powerpack system and switchgear that was installed first. The pictures show 4 Powerpack battery cabinets and one Powerpack inverter cabinet in front with the switchgear behind them. It looks like they will have 5 pairs of Supercharger cabinets arranged in an backwards L shape next to the Powerpack Inverter.

For reference, this is a similar Powerpack system installation by Recargo in Prunedale California. It has the same battery and inverter setup, but the chargers are BTC CCS + CHAdeMO pedestals and charger cabinets.
343287.jpg

Last edited:
No. They have not installed any of the charger hardware. The Supercharger cabinets and pedestals are all missing from the installation. That is all the Powerpack system and switchgear that was installed first. The pictures show 4 Powerpack battery cabinets and one Powerpack inverter cabinet in front with the switchgear behind them. It looks like they will have 5 pairs of Supercharger cabinets arranged in an backwards L shape next to the Powerpack Inverter.

For reference, this is a similar Powerpack system installation by Recargo in Prunedale California. It has the same battery and inverter setup, but the chargers are BTC CCS + CHAdeMO pedestals and charger cabinets.
343287.jpg
That would’ve been my 2nd guess, but where are the cabinets for the Superchargers? If you look at the photos, the Superchargers are to the right of the cabinets, whilst there are no signs for the Recargo chargers (if there will be any). I just contacted one of the reps at PlugShare who could probably give me an answer of whether this is a Recargo install or not (PlugShare was created by Recargo).

That would’ve been my 2nd guess, but where are the cabinets for the Superchargers? If you look at the photos, the Superchargers are to the right of the cabinets, whilst there are no signs for the Recargo chargers (if there will be any). I just contacted one of the reps at PlugShare who could probably give me an answer of whether this is a Recargo install or not (PlugShare was created by Recargo).
At the Santa Rosa Supercharger site, the Supercharger cabinets will use the conduits circled below. I believe that layout is for all 10 cabinets.

Santa Rosa Supercharger Site.jpg

Recargo has nothing to do with the Santa Rosa Supercharger site. I was just using the Prunedale site photo as an example of a similar PowerPack installation.

At the Prunedale Recargo site, the BTC charger cabinets are lined up behind the pedestals. Recargo won a grant to establish a charging network along several California highway corridors. One of their corridors is US-101 between Salinas and Santa Maria. Another is US-101 from Healdsburg to the Oregon border. The Prunedale site is a prototype for those and was funded by the Monterey Bay Air Quality Management District. At that site there is a 200kW BTC charging cabinet dedicated to each pedestal even though the cabinets can split power to multiple pedestals. With the exception of the Livermore Electrify America site, it is probably the most powerful industry standard charging site operational in California today. It opened before the Livermore site too.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
There seems to be some confusion as to whether this will be V3 or not. I notice this reference by @mociaf9 in another thread that points out an image (computer generated - not a photo) provided by Tesla regarding a different site, and it clearly shows different cabinets to the V2 layout. Western Canada Superchargers
It might be useful in confirming (or otherwise) the V3 status of this site!

Reactions: Macbest