Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Rosa, CA (LIVE 20 Nov 2019, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a pitiful excuse for a V3 here. Just pulled in at just under 50% SOC and am getting 70kW. Not what I had hoped for. Is it Tesla or PG&E?

upload_2020-2-10_13-7-44.jpeg

Drive a 2016 90D. Stopped in with about 90mile left and immediately got about 75kw. Went to the bathroom in the mall and came back to 12kw. Moved and got 60+kw. Just a little bit irritating.
The worst for me had been Truckee behind Safeway, where you could start in the 70’s and come back in a few minutes at 8 and if you stayed and watched you see the KWs race to 75 then immediately drop to zero, then pick back up to something in the 70’s and drop like a rock to zero and continue the pattern till you unplug and move.
Personally, when a charger isn’t working, I tie the chord in a big granny knot and call tesla

I charged here recently at 3am and got expected 120+ kw speeds on my Model S. I was the only one at the site (and the parking lot for that matter)...

V3 is supposed to be 250kW. Just pulled in at 49%. Getting 60kW. Worse than regular V2 in Rohnert Park/Napa/etc. Only 5 cars total, 2+ stalls between cars. No numbers on cabinets. Since these are 4 cabinets per does that mean you need to be every 4th stall for max power? If so I’m only one in the first 4 stalls and still seeing poor power delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Since these are 4 cabinets per does that mean you need to be every 4th stall for max power? If so I’m only one in the first 4 stalls and still seeing poor power delivery.
No, one of the benefits of the V3 architecture is that the supercharger cabinets are connected via a DC bus and can share power between them. So, assuming the hardware is working properly, it mostly doesn't matter which stall you plug into, you'll get the max it can put out to you under the circumstances (when taking into consideration power availability, battery SOC, battery temp, etc).

V3 is supposed to be 250kW. Just pulled in at 49%. Getting 60kW. Worse than regular V2 in Rohnert Park/Napa/etc. Only 5 cars total, 2+ stalls between cars. No numbers on cabinets. Since these are 4 cabinets per does that mean you need to be every 4th stall for max power? If so I’m only one in the first 4 stalls and still seeing poor power delivery.
I’m not surprised that you’re getting less than 250KW at 49+% SOC, but 60kw yeah that’s pretty low. Sometimes there just isn’t enough overall juice in the system. Did it ever go higher?

Nope. 60 was peak, tapered to 40 at about 75%. I have used 4 or 5 SCs so far and this is by far the slowest including Rocklin which was full with a queue. All the others have been V2. If there’s not enough power for 5 vehicles to charge at full rate then why have 20 stalls? Seems like quite a waste of infrastructure

So people are rambling about superchargers in SoCal and Truckee and other random crap in the Santa Rosa thread and completely ignoring the fact the Santa Rosa superchargers have been offline for days now....?
Yes, exactly.

Will just say that I also heard a report from a few hours before you posted that none of the Superchargers were working. Not much detail, so I thought it was temporary or something and didn't post about it.

So people are rambling about superchargers in SoCal and Truckee and other random crap in the Santa Rosa thread and completely ignoring the fact the Santa Rosa superchargers have been offline for days now....?

Moderator note: Moved some posts about V2 vs. V3 Supercharging and technical details to this new thread:

V3 Supercharging Discussion

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele