Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Rosa, CA (LIVE 20 Nov 2019, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why weird? Each V3 cabinet services 4 stalls. So they are labeled nA-nD. (They may not share power capacity, but they still share a common cabinet so it makes sense to number them as such so that you can call and report a specific stall and they know immediately which cabinet it is hooked to.)
Interested to see how the kW sharing will happen. Easy with the 120KW chargers split between two stalls. But 250kW how is that split between 4 stalls, or is it?

Tesla said the cabinets are 1MW each and as such they do not share power between stalls. But the site could be limited which could cause sharing across the whole site.
That turns out to not be true - the 1MW part. Each cabinet can only draw about 350kW of AC power, but there is a DC bus that connects between the cabinets to share power. So, if you happened to connect 4 cars at a 16 stall site, all to one cabinet, you could theoretically draw 350kW + 575kW = 925kW with those 4 cars. However, the chances of all 4 cars being able to pull 925/4=231kW simultaneously would be unlikely or contrived.

Reference: V3 Cabinet rating label

That turns out to not be true - the 1MW part. Each cabinet can only draw about 350kW of AC power, but there is a DC bus that connects between the cabinets to share power. So, if you happened to connect 4 cars at a 16 stall site, all to one cabinet, you could theoretically draw 350kW + 575kW = 925kW with those 4 cars. However, the chances of all 4 cars being able to pull 925/4=231kW simultaneously would be unlikely or contrived.

Reference: V3 Cabinet rating label

It may also be that Tesla was talking about burst capability being 1MW while the rating labels normally state the continuous load rating.

My app is showing now as fully open.

Attachments

• 95D20B55-DAE2-4201-9212-4DD2A7D6CED0.png
    95D20B55-DAE2-4201-9212-4DD2A7D6CED0.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 97
Just got back, still only got 50KW. Also used the ones facing the library. I have a 2018 Model S 75D. Wonder if it's specific to the model? I do have the car scheduled for a service on 1/9. They can apparently check the logs and see what's going on. Also have an issue when charging at SFO and it charges past the limit (80%) to 100%.

I went to this supercharger the afternoon of Christmas Eve - even though in the nav it listed all 18 working stalls available, I attempted 8 of them that had no charge at all. I wasn't alone, as frustrated customers left the charger cables hanging on top of the supercharger stalls on dead stations. Stall #9 did work for me at 250Kw. I called Tesla and reported the issue, and they said they were already aware, but no resolution eta.

This location is a sorry excuse for brand new V3 SuperCharger. If it was as old or ravagedly used as the Mountain View location (with its issues) I would have some sympathy... not here
Are you saying there shouldn't be a V3 supercharger here, or that the performance is embarrassing considering it's brand new? If the former, I disagree. I find that any Supercharger is a good addition to the network. If the latter, I definitely agree. This up and down nonsense is a very poor launch.

My wife stopped in this morning to charge and a Tesla employee was there to tape up the four inop units in the middle of the Guerneville road side of chargers. He said that those four had been real trouble and taken offline from the beginning and that they were still having trouble with the other units. His job was to just to mark the bad units.
No indication of when things might get back to normal.

Ironically, while they were talking a new Model 3 backed into one of the taped up units to charge