TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Santa Rosa NM

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by reddy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. reddy

reddy Member

I just received the following from the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS in Santa Rosa, NM

Their address is 2516 Historic Route 66, Santa Rosa, NM 88435

"
    Hi there ....,Yes we are getting a Tesla supercharger which should be up an running in less then 2 weeks.
    It is currently being installed as we speak.
    Please if you have any additional questions feel free to contact the Hotel directly at 575-472-5411
    Sincerely
    Michaela Dodson
    General Manager

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Nice! I-40 is filling in nicely between Gallup and OKC.

3. gene

gene Active Member

They likely meant an HPWC.

4. reddy

reddy Member

I just called them. They say there are 6 stalls under construction, definitely superchargers. I asked for a photo and the person on the phone told me they were at the desk by themselves, and to try calling tomorrow.

5. gene

gene Active Member

My mistake. That's excellent! I had thought since they said finished in two weeks, it would be something less than a real Supercharger.

6. berryja

berryja Member

Excellent, just in time for a road trip!

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

That might just be the main construction before the nervous wait for the transformer. We know the work itself takes 2 weeks.

But, hooray, really making the connections (everywhere but here).

8. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

Great News. We will be travelling Amarillo to Albuquerque on 3/16 and if either Tucumcari or Santa Rosa is operational it will eliminate an RV Park stop by Tucumcari. Our return trip is on 3/23 so we will give them a second chance. :smile:

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

It doesn't take two weeks to install a HPWC!

10. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#10 Mark Z, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Very pleased to see the progress on I-40. The only concern is for late night drivers who may encounter ICEd SuperCharger spots when a hotel is full. Some threads have mentioned using traffic cones and barrels or hotel employees parking in the spots to prevent waking guests to move their cars or possible towing.

In hotel locations it is critical that at least one SuperCharger parking spot is never allowed to be ICEd between 10 PM and 7 AM to help reduce late night visits to the hotel desk. Ideally, only the A or B spots would be ICEd so maximum charge speed is available for those charging.

One solution is for Tesla Motors to manufacture a 20 foot SuperCharger extension cable allowing access to charge at any ICE'd SuperCharger. It should be cheaper than a CHAdeMO adapter. Hotels that have frequent problems could have the cable "on loan" with a deposit of drivers license, credit card and phone verification from Tesla. This could save the driver from buying and storing the heavy and bulky cable during a motor trip.

Another solution is for Tesla to install at least one SuperCharger at hotels with a drive-in configuration using a long enough cable to park in front of the ICEd parking spot. Existing locations could have a pull-out cable from behind the wood fence that Tesla could unlock remotely when needed.

Above all, stay calm. We must understand that charging delays may occur, so plan for extra time during a motor trip just as you would with severe weather or mechanical repairs.

11. thatheard

thatheard Member

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    Any updates on this? I'm hoping to head west over spring break, driving through Friday. If this supercharger is up and running, I'll make it into AZ before I have to stop for the night. If not, I'll be overnighting here-ish.

12. berryja

berryja Member

You making that trip from Ft Walton? Ill be doing that route 29 Mar. Been figuring out places to RON, PM me we can compare notes.

13. thatheard

thatheard Member

No, Sorry I haven't updated my location. I've moved to Stillwater OK. I'll be going East in May, hopefully Mobile will be open by then. Looking at the supercharger map, even with this open it's gonna be a nail-biter to get to here from Shamrock, and from here to Gallup. My current plan is to overnight as near to Santa Rosa as I can, and start the next day with a full charge.

14. berryja

berryja Member

I am going to overnight Lake Charles then next night Arrowhead State park Wichita Falls then Shamrock, Amarillo, and Santa Rosa to remain overnight.

15. thatheard

thatheard Member

Sounds like a pretty good plan. You'll probably have to stop before Santa Rosa to juice up a little, or drive slowly. Then you'll probably have to do the same before you get to Gallup, since that's a long stretch of the legs. You can probably find somewhere to charge in ABQ, and it's a quaint little town to boot.

For me, I'm taking the northern route, through Colorado. It'll be several hundred more miles, but without Santa Rosa it'll still take less time. Hopefully Santa Rosa will be energized for my return trip.

16. sb11

sb11 Member

Hi Berryja - I just did Austin to Miami and back - after Baton Rouge - long way to next supercharger heading east in DeFuniak Springs FL- so I went south of Mobile and took the Mobile bay ferry across - saves a bunch of miles and you do the 5.6 miles on the ferry for "free" (call first to make sure the Ferry is running - sometimes it does not go in bad weather - otherwise it is a regular ferry service. After the ferry - you can charge on a 240/50 amp RV outlet (Nema 14-50) - at the Gulf Shores State Park just south of Foley (you should book a RV spot reservation if you stay the night) or there is a free to use HPWC in Foley AL - at Benson Appliance right near the middle of the town - I used it in the middle of the night - no problem.

17. skip

skip New Member

I just got off Michaels and she said that the super charger is now open!!!!!

18. thatheard

thatheard Member

Damn, and I've already committed to the northern route. At least I'll get to come back the more direct way. Thanks for the update!

19. HillCountryFun

Skip, just to confirm...you're saying the Santa Rosa, NM SuperCharger is now open?

Thanks...

20. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Great to hear this!!! :)