Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ysabel, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are live! Charging my Model 3 at 600 mi/hr right now
Nice. Thanks for reporting.

On a separate note, it's not really useful to describe charging speeds in mi/hr when you're sharing info with other people because the value is dependent on what type of car you're driving and that car's driving efficiency (Wh/mi). So, it will only be accurate information to other people with the same model car. E.g. when charging at the same electrical power level (kW), a Model 3 will report a different number than a Model S/X/Y, etc. So, you should report charging "speeds" in kW which are the same for everyone. If anyone wants to think about their charging speed in mi/hr they can convert for themself because they'll be familiar with what a given kW level translates to for their type/model of car.

Attachments

• 20210330_014528.jpg
    20210330_014528.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 126
Nice. Thanks for reporting.

On a separate note, it's not really useful to describe charging speeds in mi/hr when you're sharing info with other people because the value is dependent on what type of car you're driving and that car's driving efficiency (Wh/mi). So, it will only be accurate information to other people with the same model car. E.g. when charging at the same electrical power level (kW), a Model 3 will report a different number than a Model S/X/Y, etc. So, you should report charging "speeds" in kW which are the same for everyone. If anyone wants to think about their charging speed in mi/hr they can convert for themself because they'll be familiar with what a given kW level translates to for their type/model of car.
I have to disagree -- I would be surprised if more than about 20% of Tesla owners could quickly tell you off the top of their head how many miles per kWH their car gets. And not only that, but that M3 getting 200 kW is completely irrelevant to someone like me with a 2014 MS which tops out at a figure MUCH lower than that. So really, neither value is all that useful unless you know the max rate your car can charge at.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trekker_
And while I'm here, could someone explain to me what a Supercharger is doing out here in the middle of nowhere in the Southern CA desert? I'm saying this because I have been endlessly frustrated waiting FOUR YEARS for a Mendocino Supercharger, which is a major destination resort, and well over 100 miles from the nearest one heading south (ie, Ukiah doesn't count). In other words, you can't drive there unless you either find a local place to charge, or have one of the newer high-range models.

I have to disagree -- I would be surprised if more than about 20% of Tesla owners could quickly tell you off the top of their head how many miles per kWH their car gets. And not only that, but that M3 getting 200 kW is completely irrelevant to someone like me with a 2014 MS which tops out at a figure MUCH lower than that. So really, neither value is all that useful unless you know the max rate your car can charge at.
If you're talking about whether using kW or mph is a better practice, using kW is more clear. If people want to add what model and year their car is, even better.

And while I'm here, could someone explain to me what a Supercharger is doing out here in the middle of nowhere in the Southern CA desert? I'm saying this because I have been endlessly frustrated waiting FOUR YEARS for a Mendocino Supercharger, which is a major destination resort, and well over 100 miles from the nearest one heading south (ie, Ukiah doesn't count). In other words, you can't drive there unless you either find a local place to charge, or have one of the newer high-range models.
A lot of people have been looking forward to this one. Lots of camping, hiking, recreation in the state park and wilderness areas out here which was hard to do with any amount of driving around. The location is a great crossroads to run to for essentials. I have a feeling the Rivian network will also have a charging station nearby!

You answered your question. Destinations (where people are spending the night or more) should invest in bunches of destination chargers.
You get there, plug in overnight - voila!! The car is ready to go. Next night.... do it again. Night before you leave.... do it again - but no need to spend vacation time sitting at a Supercharger. Thing is most people - you get there, plug into a Supercharger and the car sits fully charged all night Which is more efficient use of resources? Maybe Tesla considers these things when prioritizing resources.
Apologies - I know you know this.

Reactions: Cameron A

Santa Ysabel is the intersection of Hwys 78 and 79. Lots of folk heading to the desert, Palm Springs, or maybe Palomar Mountain. I actually found a use for it today. I planned on going to Borrego Springs, which I can make from home and back again, except I had to go someplace else first. By the time I got to Santa Ysabel I was already down to 50%. I'm not sure that would get me over the mountain, down to the desert and back home again. There used to be some L2 in Borrego Springs but they are all broken now and have a note on them promising future working chargers. They've been that way for a long time.

In answer to your whine, looks like there is a new one under construction at Fort Bragg, just up the road. Maybe a future trip north I'll be able to drive Hwy 1 and get a charge.

I agree with you, hgpayne. This is a really helpful and needed location that I will definitely be using! This helps to make the area around Santa Ysabel and also Anza-Borrego Desert State Park region more accessible. However, we still more Superchargers for that.

Specifically, I'd like to see some in Borrego Springs and also right off the 8 freeway in Campo. We'd then have great coverage to play in the desert park area for hiking, camping, resorts (Borrego Springs), etc.

I agree with you, hgpayne. This is a really helpful and needed location that I will definitely be using! This helps to make the area around Santa Ysabel and also Anza-Borrego Desert State Park region more accessible. However, we still more Superchargers for that.

Specifically, I'd like to see some in Borrego Springs and also right off the 8 freeway in Campo. We'd then have great coverage to play in the desert park area for hiking, camping, resorts (Borrego Springs), etc.
I'd love to see a supercharger in Borrego Springs. Right now there aren't even any L2 anymore. I booked a 50 amp campsite and used that for charging overnight but if there were a supercharger there I could boondock (dry camp).

I wonder if we'll see Rivian install some chargers out by the Ocotillo Wells off-road vehicle recreation area? I'd like a supercharger out there too. Maybe one over by Glamis too. Let's let those CyberTrucks rule the dunes.

Charged today there too! Was the only one there @ 10:30AM. It's a small 8-stall location but hyper-convenient for everything Julian/Borrego Springs related. I don't think it'll ever get very busy honestly. There's also fun road trip-ish things to do no further than you'd have to walk if you parked there anyway (always makes it WAY better when you're with family or friends). Having it here allowed for a stretched trip on the day overall. This is a good one!

Reactions: Oil Freedom
We can encourage Tesla's Supercharger deployments to cover gaps in Borrego Springs and Ocotillo/Campo (Golden Nugget Travel Center directly off the 8 Freeway). Here's what I've done, and I encourage you to add your voice.
  • Submit recommended locations as a Tesla owner: Charging Partners | Tesla (scroll down to the Suggest a Charging Site form).
  • Contact businesses, cities, and chambers of commerce asking them to request Superchargers using the same form.
We all know that Tesla drivers go where the Superchargers are, so they bring business!

Stopped by Sunday mid-afternoon to check it out and stop for a bathroom break and snack from Don's Market. I didn't need to charge, but there was a 1-2 Teslas there charging there. One spot ICEd by a minivan.

The restaurant and pie shop were closed for Easter, I know this lot can get fairly busy, especially considering that the spots are close to the restaurant, hopefully ICEing isn't a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom