Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste. Marie, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove the entire parking lot even behind the store and there is no sign of any prep for this project. There also seems not to be any room next to the gas station out front. There is plenty of space and with easy access from the highway a great location. I’ll be back in town in August and have my fingers crossed it will be operational as I will be driving my M3.

If anyone goes to check on this, also have a look at the Petro-Canada over on Trunk Road and the intersection of Industrial Park Crescent and Third Line E (both on the Canadian side, obviously). Some L3 DCFCs are supposed to be going in there sometime soon.
Maps based on the description:
s6dTJdo.jpg

QFRmkof.jpg

If anyone goes to check on this, also have a look at the Petro-Canada over on Trunk Road and the intersection of Industrial Park Crescent and Third Line E (both on the Canadian side, obviously). Some L3 DCFCs are supposed to be going in there sometime soon.
Plugshare website shows L3 CCS & CHAdeMO plugs 'coming soon' at the PetroCanada station. For the many Canadians who want to do the trans-Canada road trip this will likely be the preferred option rather than the hassle and time wasted crossing the border just to use the SC. For M3 owners this assumes Tesla will develop an adapter like MS & MX have.

Plugshare website shows L3 CCS & CHAdeMO plugs 'coming soon' at the PetroCanada station. For the many Canadians who want to do the trans-Canada road trip this will likely be the preferred option rather than the hassle and time wasted crossing the border just to use the SC. For M3 owners this assumes Tesla will develop an adapter like MS & MX have.
Eh. I’ve actually heard that there will also be an SSM Supercharger in Ontario, and that it should be breaking ground in July!

Anyone with charging experiences in the yellow box? I'm going from Escanaba, MI to Sudbury, ON this month and it doesn't look like the SSM, ON Supercharger will be open. Looks like I'll need 90-100 miles of charge. in there.

Per PlugShare there is a 13 kW charger on the Ontario side and a 10 kW charger on the Michigan side. Not ideal for long range travel but could allow you to make it. Do you have the 72A charger or the 48A charger on-board?

Edit: 13 kW would get you ~35 MPH on the 72A and ~30 MPH on the 48A. I also don't have experience in the area, just in the western UP but I did check out the 7 kW destination chargers in Mackinaw, MI when I was there last summer before they were activated. They could be another option but would necessitate a round trip crossing of the Mackinaw bridge.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MarcoRP
Per PlugShare there is a 13 kW charger on the Ontario side and a 10 kW charger on the Michigan side. Not ideal for long-range travel but could allow you to make it. Do you have the 72A charger or the 48A charger on-board?

Edit: 13 kW would get you ~35 MPH on the 72A and ~30 MPH on the 48A. I also don't have experience in the area, just in the western UP but I did check out the 7 kW destination chargers in Mackinaw, MI when I was there last summer before they were activated. They could be another option but would necessitate a round trip crossing of the Mackinaw bridge.
I appreciate that input. My 17 X has 72A. I did notice the Hampton one but was thinking it was 7 kW for some reason however they have 4 chargers so I don't have to work about other EVs or ICEings I would think. I must be missing something about pugshare because it is not obvious where they show the kW. I like the Ontario side as it is faster but there is only one.

I appreciate that input. My 17 X has 72A. I did notice the Hampton one but was thinking it was 7 kW for some reason however they have 4 chargers so I don't have to work about other EVs or ICEings I would think. I must be missing something about pugshare because it is not obvious where they show the kW. I like the Ontario side as it is faster but there is only one.

If you look at previous checkins using the "View More" button you can see people that include the Volts, Amps, and/or kW of the charger.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and scottf200
Thanks to @sdoorex in the Escanaba thread reminding me to check at the MI Dept of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), I found Tesla's application for Plan Review for this supercharger (PR2019BCC-001607; may need login to access), with description: "Installation of Tesla Charging stations and all supporting equipment at the Meijer store in Sault Ste Marie, M." The application is dated 2019-07-12 and hasn't yet been approved. Current status is "Awaiting Client Reply", which I take to mean that revisions to their latest plan submission were required and a new set of corrected/updated plans haven't been returned for evaluation yet. Unfortunately, the public access to info on LARA's portal is quite limited, so we can't see the workflow processing status to know when things have been happening, only the total record status. So far, all accrued fees have been paid.

Permit.JPG

Thanks to @sdoorex in the Escanaba thread reminding me to check at the MI Dept of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), I found Tesla's application for Plan Review for this supercharger (PR2019BCC-001607; may need login to access), with description: "Installation of Tesla Charging stations and all supporting equipment at the Meijer store in Sault Ste Marie,...

View attachment 466601

Still no additions. Fees paid...
3C1F3E76-062A-4937-AC78-8FEE8000DB5B.jpeg

Tesla drops supercharger station in Sault Ste Marie!

Find Us | Tesla

is this a typo or did the permit just get dropped?

Personally I’d prefer that the first Upper Penisula Supercharger be setup in Escanaba.

For now it looks like visits to the Locks will require a trip to Canada to supercharge.