TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Sault Ste Marie, ON

Discussion in 'Canada Supercharger locations' started by ccudmore, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

New construction site in Sault Ste Marie that looks a lot like a supercharger. At the intersection of Second Line and Great Northern Road. 58590135-B0CA-475B-813D-E939D70BF48D.jpeg

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  2. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

(46.5381429, -84.3172732)

3. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

Thanks. Taken into account. Is there also a section of the parking that is also under construction?

4. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

I have a family member who lives around the corner from this site and provided me with this picture. I’ll get updates from them and post them.

• Like x 3
  5. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

Street view link for the site:
    Google Maps

It’s a perfect location for a SC as that’s the corner where the trans Canada highway splits and has a branch that goes to Michigan.

• Like x 2
  6. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

We definitely need better pics! In particular a pic of the specs on any of the equipment would be good.

7. MD-2000

MD-2000 Member

Weird. Based on Google maps, this is on the south-east corner of the intersection and based on the overhead road signs in the background, they are digging up the grass square surrounding the water tower on the north-east corner. I assume it's so far into the grassy knoll because the transformers and power units will sit far back from the chargers, and the chargers will be facing the parking lot along the east side of that grass square. I hope they will be paving that parking lot area also.

8. MD-2000

MD-2000 Member

An educated guess based on the photo above...? This is where they appear to be digging?
    Who owns the water tower property and can permit construction on it?
    ssm.JPG

9. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

I think the water tower is owned by the city Public Utilities Commission. They proved water and electric services to the city.

10. xcvbn

xcvbn Member

Spoke with a contractor at the site. It's a supercharger, 6 stall. They broke ground 3 days ago. They are the same team working on the other recent Trans Canada sites. Next stop for them is Wawa.

No hardware on site yet. Conduits in place and transformer pad is poured.

Location is as per MD-2000's post above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Love x 7
    • Like x 6
    • Informative x 4
  11. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

Thanks for the update. This is excellent news. My 90 year old father-in-law lives about two blocks from there. He’s lived and breathed cars all his life but has never been in an EV. I’ve been looking forward to taking my M3 there to show him the future of automobiles. This will make it an easy trip.

12. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

Great! Added on Supercharge.info with details given! Enjoy

• Like x 3
  13. Villa-Lobos

Villa-Lobos Member

Awesome. The TransCanada highway is coming along. I hope to travel it next summer from Ohio to Montana.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Hurray! This is the key piece (for me) for getting from Minneapolis to Montreal.

15. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I was about to say that this was a duplicate thread ... until I read the title more closely. You crazy North Americans with your cross-border confusingly named cities! ;)

• Funny x 5
  16. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

Another interesting tidbit from looking at these pictures. It looks like they’re using Smith and Long construction to build the chargers. From their web site their a company with locations across the country with the ability to service what they install. Hopefully that bodes well for keeping the chargers in good repair in far flung locations.

• Like x 1
  17. XHabjab

XHabjab Helping to end the ICE Age

The weirdest thing to me is that there is one phone company for the two cities, in different countries, and they share a phone book. Never heard of anything like that before.

• Informative x 1
  18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Sault Ste Marie, ON

Along National Highways: TCH/ON-17

TCH:
    To: Blind River, ON - 145.7 km
    Diversion: 2.5 km
    To: Espanola, ON - 238.8 km

Well, at least it looks like this year Tesla will complete the TCH from Sault Ste Marie, ON to Truro, NS.

19. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

20. noicepls

noicepls Member