Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste Marie, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Canadian Super Chargers could be completed by Thanksgiving, but I am guessing they won't and I am willing to put money on it. They could have been completed in 2018, as was originally announced. The Model 3 could have been released on time. The Model X could have been released on time. But none of these things ever happened on time.

• Disagree
Reactions: mirovuko
I don't think Elon would give us a $Billion, but the odds are that all the Canadian Super Chargers could be completed by Thanksgiving. Almost all the ground work is completed in Canada. Even some hardware and wire pulled. Depends on how many crews are installing the electrical/hardware and IF they even have the hardware. I'd allow about 3 days for each location to get it installed. Might be a bit optimistic, but shouldn't really take much more. Maybe 4 days if you allow travel time.
The chokepoint is pedestal gear. We now how multiple SC locations in Canada waiting only on pedestals, and the local regulator inspection & Tesla tech activation that follows that, to complete. How many are active a month from now hinges on that supply.

As Regina shows, a construction crew can get a V3 SC location to that point within about a week, which is really fast and says good things about the design. But it’ll then sit until the pedestals show up, and there’s been a supply crunch on those for months now.

Realistically if you have a longer range Tesla (300 mi and up) you don’t need -all- the SC to drive the #1 in a somewhat timely manner, especially now if you have access to a Chademo adapter. The #1 has been L2 covered for years for summer/fall travel, so every SC that’s added is just speeding up the trip about 6-8 hours, rather than an actual requirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedSafari
The Canadian Super Chargers could be completed by Thanksgiving, but I am guessing they won't and I am willing to put money on it. They could have been completed in 2018, as was originally announced. The Model 3 could have been released on time. The Model X could have been released on time. But none of these things ever happened on time.
How many billion internet bucks are you willing to risk?

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
You can do that trip right now. Embrace the adventure of non-supercharger EV travel :)
Speaking as someone who just did a 16-hour drive from Toronto to Thunder Bay with three children under 9 years old in the backseat, I embrace shorter drive times like I embrace a lifejacket in the ocean during a shipwreck.

Don't get too carried away. Thanksgiving in Canada is second Monday in October (Oct. 14th) so that cuts 5 weeks off your deadline. :)

I see several sites along the TCH have the white cabinets installed, all that's missing are the pedestals. More and more potential sites are now fully (base) prep'ed. The big unknowns are Thunder Bay to Kenora now that it appears North of Superior is well involved, but I presume work has been underway, just nobody to report on it.

Reactions: noicepls
Taking a trip to Calgary from Toronto next week. So sad that this is not possible via TCH. Hopefully by next year this will all be a distant memory.

Agree that once they arrive, all of this waiting will quickly fade.
It seems that "Elon Time" is a real thing...
Kid/Grandkid live in SSM, and hoping my spring purchase of Tesla Model 3 will coincide with completion of any of the SSM, Blind River or Espinola SC. Hoping the pedestal hardware bottleneck will make this trip with my new Tesla possible!

Reactions: navguy12
What were all those photos I saw months ago of charging stations going in at the Water Tower in SSM? They sure looked like Tesla superchargers. Red and everything.
You must have been looking at the bollards. The Supercharger will be where the conduits are.
2DA18CA9-1A79-4D66-93A0-B2174C85A236.jpeg

Reactions: SammichLover
I'm not sure bottlenecking is the issue, I think it's prioritizing and strategizing. Locations started in the US after some of those in Canada are now operational. I'm in the camp that thinks there'll be a blitz on SCs across the TCH once a majority are ready for the pedastals. I just hope it's before the Grey Cup so I can drive out to Calgary.

Reactions: Big Earl
Just to be clear, this is "confirmed" by supercharge.info, a crowd sourced user site. It hasn't been officially confirmed by Tesla.

People report it on TMC -> Supercharge.Info uses that information in their list -> Electrek does an article based on Supercharge.info -> Electrek article posted in TMC as "confirmation". Some circular journalism.

Just to be clear, this is "confirmed" by supercharge.info, a crowd sourced user site. It hasn't been officially confirmed by Tesla.

People report it on TMC -> Supercharge.Info uses that information in their list -> Electrek does an article based on Supercharge.info -> Electrek article posted in TMC as "confirmation". Some circular journalism.
citogenesis.png

Citogenesis

XKCD is awesome.

I have an Ottawa to SSM trip planned for thanksgiving. I really wanted to take the Tesla but it’s looking less and less likely :-(
Ottawa to SSM is already possible in a Model 3 LR. But you need to have a suitable plug to charge overnight in SSM before your return journey. I use a 30A extension cord (sold for RVs) and a suitable NEMA 14-30 (or NEMA 14-50) adaptor, plug it into a dryer (or stove) outlet, and "Bob's your uncle!"

Reactions: SammichLover
Ottawa to SSM is already possible in a Model 3 LR. But you need to have a suitable plug to charge overnight in SSM before your return journey. I use a 30A extension cord (sold for RVs) and a suitable NEMA 14-30 (or NEMA 14-50) adaptor, plug it into a dryer (or stove) outlet, and "Bob's your uncle!"
Alas I only have an SR+. Would have to do a major detour down through Huntsville :-(