TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Savannah, GA

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by airj1012, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Does anyone live close to the Savannah, GA location? Supposedly the address is 400 Airways Avenue Savannah, GA 31408 and will placed within the economy parking deck at the at the airport based on this article - http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2013-11-30/tesla-build-charging-station-airport

I just wanted to create a thread for this confirmed location and see if we could get some status updates/pictures from anyone in the area. Thanks.

Recargo link - http://www.recargo.com/sites/11383
    Tesla Wiki Supercharger Map - http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/

2. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I wonder if owners will have to pay to access the lot to charge?

Does anyone know how that specific airport lot charges rates? Is there a 0-2 hours free option for parking?

3. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

If this is really to be placed within the economy lot, it appears that the rate is $1/hour. However I believe that I read there is a similar paid structure at another supercharger location but Tesla owners are supposed to have free access to charge. I'm not sure how valid that is or not.

Savannah / Hilton Head International Airport Parking - http://savannahairport.com/parking/parking/

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

5. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

#5 airj1012, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Another member got news this morning from a Savannah reporter that the supercharger should be finished by the end of the year.

"Good news! Airport tells me the work on the Tesla charging station has already begun and will be done by end of the year."

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Hopefully they can add it to the wiki map now !!

7. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Anybody in the area can confirm the construction with pictures?

8. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

9. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Anybody around Savannah or will be driving by during Christmas break that could stop by and see if there is any progress?

10. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

I'll be driving thru on Dec 26th. With any luck, I'll use it to charge up on the way up I-95 to NC.

11. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Since we haven't heard of any progress be careful. It may not be operational. However Santee, SC was a surprise and its almost done so maybe Savannah will be in the same boat.

12. Chas F

Of course I'll assume the worst if there is no news before then, but a quick phone call to the airport should take away some of the guesswork.

13. Chas F

Based on my last conversation with Savannah Airport Facilities, there's almost no chance this SuperCharger will be ready in a week for my planned trip. If I want to drive the Tesla, it will require an overnight stay in Savannah. Anyone know of EV friendly hotels in the area?

14. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

What update did they provide you with?

15. Chas F

Pretty much as stated: "There's no way this will be done by the 26th". They didn't provide ETA. The previous estimate of end-of-month hasn't changed. Dec 31st? I don't think so.

16. fdismuke

fdismuke Member

I was at the airport today. They have broken ground, and there is a little bit of infrastructure there for the charger housing, but nothing remarkable yet. I'll take a picture when it progresses further.

17. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Awesome thanks! Great to have eyes on the ground!

18. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Any updates on this location now that Santee is complete?

19. StefanT

StefanT Member

Just stopped by the SAV SC site. They still have a ways to go. The site ground work is complete and transformer cabinets installed but I didn't see any signs of the container with the SC hardware.

Looks like this might be the first covered SC location for the east coast. The charges are being installed along the west edge of the north economy parking garage. To get to these spaces you follow the signs for economy parking, drive straight through the south garage on the ground floor and across the road to the north garage. The spaces are on your left as you enter the garage.

Attached Files:

20. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

#20 Cottonwood, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    This is actually pretty far along. The big green box by itself on the right in the first picture is the transformer. The triplet of gray boxes on the left in the first picture are 480 Volt switching and circuit breaker boxes. The spaces beside of these gray boxes are ready for the Supercharger cabinets to be installed.

In the first picture, it looks like the Supercharger stalls are behind the green transformer, immediately on the left as you enter the garage from the south, and on the right of the first picture. Is that correct? It is hard to tell from your pictures, but I assume that the conduit is already run to the stalls.