Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Savannah, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing they brought the chargers in from the edge (so the cars will park nose-in) to keep them out of the weather? Other locations are completely exposed so I don't understand this. Seems like they're just asking for a truck to bump into them.

Yes Tesla has had some interesting formations over the different locations. Most surprisingly is the Cheyenne where they don't force the drivers to back in. Makes it difficult to plow the parking lots. Not sure why they don't have standards for these.

I'm guessing they brought the chargers in from the edge (so the cars will park nose-in) to keep them out of the weather? Other locations are completely exposed so I don't understand this. Seems like they're just asking for a truck to bump into them.

I don't see why weather would be a problem when most SCs are just left out in the elements. I'm just hoping no one accidentally drives into one of these stalls and cause them to go out of service or something... I'd rather they were placed outside the garage but oh well.

EDIT: by outside, I mean just the charger part... it's nice that the cars are inside.

Yes Tesla has had some interesting formations over the different locations. Most surprisingly is the Cheyenne where they don't force the drivers to back in. Makes it difficult to plow the parking lots. Not sure why they don't have standards for these.

I'm guessing it is a response to desires and policies of each parking lot and garage. The back-in seems the simplest install, shortest wires and conduits. However, I bet there are parking lots and garages that insist on diagonal head in parking. In Cheyenne, it is crazy because of the problems snow plows with have, and on top of that, it looks like if any significant snow berms pile up on the curb, the cord may not reach from the pedestal to the car... :cursing:

I was thinking the same thing. Someone would really have to go out of their way to ICE these spots because it's hard to claim ignorance (I didn't see the sign). I'm curious what the signage will say at this location. I think Tesla is actually paying for these spots, so hopefully the signs will be of the "Electric Car Parking Only" variety.

Update from nolancn

I stopped by the supercharger in Savannah yesterday (Jan. 12th) and a single man was at the site putting the final screws in the wooden enclosure which surrounds the transformers. He told me that the charging stations all had power and that the site was to be "commissioned" Jan. 14th. I also asked him about the airport parking fee and he stated that Tesla had worked out a deal with the airport so that if you entered the lot with a Tesla you could exit without charge. I suspect there will be some reasonable time limit. I have never seen a supercharging site before but this one appears ready to go.

Update from nolancn

I stopped by the supercharger in Savannah yesterday (Jan. 12th) and a single man was at the site putting the final screws in the wooden enclosure which surrounds the transformers. He told me that the charging stations all had power and that the site was to be "commissioned" Jan. 14th. I also asked him about the airport parking fee and he stated that Tesla had worked out a deal with the airport so that if you entered the lot with a Tesla you could exit without charge. I suspect there will be some reasonable time limit. I have never seen a supercharging site before but this one appears ready to go.

Thanks for the information David and this has answered all my questions.

A quick update here for people monitoring this regional section ... There is a report in another thread that this site may get commissioned tomorrow, Jan 14th.

Exact location and other details can be found here:

EV Charging Location - Tesla Superchargers - Savannah, GA

... and presumably Tesla will create their own page for it here:

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

... but that page doesn't exist yet, and won't until it has officially launched. I bet they are trying to get this one and Lumberton NC done this week so they can make a splashy announcement at NAIAS.

This isn't about the Savannah supercharger but another one being planned in GA. Just thought I'd share what an ATL member received from Tesla today.

Macon Supercharger discussion.
Got the following response to my email to Tesla.
"Our Macon site is targeted for completion in Q1 of this year. Please make any formal site suggestions here so that our developers can easily access the information.
We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology."

https://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/supercharging/

I'm guessing it is a response to desires and policies of each parking lot and garage. The back-in seems the simplest install, shortest wires and conduits. However, I bet there are parking lots and garages that insist on diagonal head in parking. In Cheyenne, it is crazy because of the problems snow plows with have, and on top of that, it looks like if any significant snow berms pile up on the curb, the cord may not reach from the pedestal to the car... :cursing:

Not to to mention that the parking stalls in Cheyenne are narrow, so it's likely that a Model S will take out a pedestal, if the snow plows don't get it first.

Did anyone else just get an invitation for the opening of the Santee, SC supercharger? That supercharger opened weeks ago (and I had gotten an invite for that one at the time) so I suspect they really meant to send out an invite for either Lumberton or Savannah and just messed up the email. The opening on the email says Thursday, January 16th at 10 a.m., so I thinking one of these two is opening that day.