Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Savannah, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Savannah has become a bottleneck in north-south travel along 95. With only 6 charging pedestals I often arrive there and have to wait. To make matters worse lately there have been pedestals not operating at full potential even taking into account the whole sharing issue. I only hope that Tesla either expands this location with more capacity or builds a new Supercharger between Santee and Kingsland. The Tanger Outlets right by 95 in Pooler would be a great location for easy access to 95.
Actually I think the 204 intersection would be the best location (used to live in area). Farther away from the airport SC, lots of amenities and closer to Tesla's local customer base (Southside Savannah/Richmond Hill).

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 6.39.23 PM.png

Reactions: Dan_A
Currently plugged in here and it's awful!

1A and 1B are both completely down. 3 of the 4 remaining were occupied when I got here so I took the last spot. Only getting 30kW for quite some time at the beginning. The car I'm paired with had no owner in sight so I doubt if that's due to it getting max power. After about a half hour it has now gone up to 60kW and plateaued there. If it were the pairing issue, it would still be going up, but it went from 30 to 60 and then plateaued. When I got here I was about 25% full and I'm now about 50% full. I think I will detour to Augusta rather than wait 2 hours for a fill up here. I'm headed to Athens.

family roadtrip to disneyworld. got stuck here. 1a doesnt charge at all. 1b was ducktaped to the supercharger and doesnt function. rest of the stalls full with no owners. It really changed my perception that tesla is on top of the SC experience. nothing in range except horribly slow chargepoint chargers. not a great experience for my first tesla roadtrip with the family. "hon when i said we could trade in the minivan for a tesla, and said we would have no issues charging on roadtrips....ya . about that."

its just a really bad SC station. and by all accounts complaining about it to tesla gets no response or confirmation there is even a problem . so disappointed.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I have to say, from my limited experience, Savannah is the worst supercharger location I've seen. It's in a parking garage with no visible amenities. It's behind a pay wall. It requires parking validation from inside a busy airport. The outlet mall on the other side of 95 would be a better choice in all respects, hands-down. Luckily I live nearby, so I've never had to use it. That said, I can see that Tesla wouldn't be motivated to change it unless the airport parking attendants refused parking validation.

Luckily I live nearby, so I've never had to use it.
Funny, so you comment on the charger without even using it?
I have to say, from my limited experience, Savannah is the worst supercharger location I've seen. It's in a parking garage with no visible amenities. It's behind a pay wall. It requires parking validation from inside a busy airport. The outlet mall on the other side of 95 would be a better choice in all respects, hands-down.

From someone that actually uses this supercharger:
  • It is nowhere near the worst location -- try Warsaw, NC Supercharger Proposal for NC - Warsaw, NC
  • Not sure what is wrong with a parking garage -- around Miami and Atlanta and many of the newer charges are in garages.
  • Amenities are in the Airport (clean restrooms, Starbucks, a brewery themed bar/restaurant)
    • If you bring your own food they have a little courtyard with outdoor seating (on a nice day)
  • And the walk from the chargers to the terminal is less then 900 ft away ... all covered too!
  • The airport is nowhere near busy...
  • I've never had problems validating parking for trips -- but even if you had to pay it's $1/hr of charging, so really max of $2 out the door.

Yeah, it's not ideal, but nowhere near the worst supercharger. If it had more stalls and worked well, it would be fine. It's not even the worst airport supercharger (see: Chattanooga).

The Starbucks and the area around it are nice if you are doing a long charge and as someone said, there are places to sit outside near fountains on the walk to the airport.

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere on these forums that they were having trouble finding a host business in Savannah and Chattanooga so they cut a deal with the airports. I think the leases might be like 5 years or so, so it's possible that the superchargers might move soon. It might also explain why they haven't bothered expanding or repairing this location.

Went to this charger 2 days ago and it was a horrible experience. I had used the charger on 4 occasions before that and it had been fine with no wait and no broken chargers, however 2 days ago the chargers were about half broken. One stall wouldn't work at all, 3 stalls were only going about 20 kWh or 50 kWh (depending on who was there first) even with an almost completely discharged battery (basically it was running at half speed) plus there was a line 8 cars deep to charge on a supercharger station that was at best half working. Thankfully I was able to charge in 2.5 hours from arriving with enough juice to get to the next station on my trip and get out of there. In the future I'll make sure to steer clear of this place. They really do need to either expand the number of stalls or just remove it from the airport completely.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
On last few trips to and from FLA, I charged enough to skip Savannah.

I'm not able to skip Savannah in my Model X...at least not in a way that makes it worth skipping Savannah. I keep hoping Tesla puts something else between Kingsland, GA and Santee, SC. The Savannah stop is the worst one for us on our drive from NJ to Orlando and I would like nothing more than to be able to skip that one. My biggest problem with it is how far it is from I-95. I don't see anything on the "coming soon" map so not looking good.

Reactions: Dan_A and Bobbo8
This SC is 5 years old as of 1/15/2014. They do need to expand/upgrade speed. I have been coming here since 2014. I liked it as you plugged in, walked to the building. 24/7 - a reminder, the mall is not 24/7 (heck - it wasn't really there when the SC first opened).

I was there New Year's week from NY to FL. On the way down, the line was about 6-8 deep. There were 2 attendants at the SC on directing, one at the charger. Kept getting messages as some newbies were checking to see if charging was still occurring. They did not know the plug glow goes away in a few minutes. Of course this has two problems. The biggest is that it stops and starts the charge cycle -- so it screws up the charging ramp down causing everyone to take more time to charge.

I feel that the more comfortable people feel they understand that it is better to come in at a lower charge and if you are using the nav, you are good to go when the app says so. So if you are trying to get full charge it takes a heck of a lot longer.

This SC is 5 years old as of 1/15/2014. They do need to expand/upgrade speed. I have been coming here since 2014. I liked it as you plugged in, walked to the building. 24/7 - a reminder, the mall is not 24/7 (heck - it wasn't really there when the SC first opened).

I was there New Year's week from NY to FL. On the way down, the line was about 6-8 deep. There were 2 attendants at the SC on directing, one at the charger. Kept getting messages as some newbies were checking to see if charging was still occurring. They did not know the plug glow goes away in a few minutes. Of course this has two problems. The biggest is that it stops and starts the charge cycle -- so it screws up the charging ramp down causing everyone to take more time to charge.

I feel that the more comfortable people feel they understand that it is better to come in at a lower charge and if you are using the nav, you are good to go when the app says so. So if you are trying to get full charge it takes a heck of a lot longer.
Was it necessary to stop abt Savannah? Could you have charged at Kingsland and then made it to Santee? Would that have been more convenient avoiding the detour to the Savannah SCs?

I'm not able to skip Savannah in my Model X...at least not in a way that makes it worth skipping Savannah. I keep hoping Tesla puts something else between Kingsland, GA and Santee, SC. The Savannah stop is the worst one for us on our drive from NJ to Orlando and I would like nothing more than to be able to skip that one. My biggest problem with it is how far it is from I-95. I don't see anything on the "coming soon" map so not looking good.

I use that SC often. I sure wish Tesla would put a new SC at I-95 and GA 204.

Reactions: gavine
The WORST charger along I95. It’s almost 100 miles from the nearest charger along I95, therefore you probably need to use unless you spent an hour at the previous charger. There is only 3 pairs of chargers and almost half of them do not provide more than 30kW under the best circumstances.

Reactions: Bobbo8