Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Scotch Corner Fine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just received a 100 quid fine for using the Tesla Supercharger at Scotch Corner.

Anyone else had this or similar experience?

Parking Eye seems to be the company. Called the Holiday Inn where the chargers are situated and the guy said I have to “register” with them before using the charger

Afraid this is all over the forums. Need to register at reception
Didn’t see any sign saying so and the car
Ridiculous setup - if their cameras are clever enough to see a car and read the numberplate, then they are clever enough to see that the supercharger was used. I would dispute it, as they are essentially fining you for an admin error. I'm not sure that would stand up in court.
no way I’m paying a penny, when I was there 30 mins, drove straight into a supercharger bay, didn’t get out of the car and stayed in that bay until charge finished, then left

They do have a small bit of A4 sellotaped to the chargers, but not particularly obvious. These parking companies don't have a lot of power if you object - from experience they only pursue a certain % of disputed cases as it's time consuming and can quickly lead to them making a loss on the effort!

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
They do have a small bit of A4 sellotaped to the chargers, but not particularly obvious. These parking companies don't have a lot of power if you object - from experience they only pursue a certain % of disputed cases as it's time consuming and can quickly lead to them making a loss on the effort!
Parking Eye is the company, local company to me too. Looks like I have to appeal through the website. Absolute joke this, just to use an official Tesla Charger.

Parking Eye will not hesitate to take you to court for breach of contract.
@Bootneckshuffl Get onto the Money Saving Experts forum and follow the instructions to the letter. **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!
Do not ignore it or throw any correspondence into the bin.

I've beaten these cowboys three times, but you have to be detailed and timely with your responses., The last time I beat them was when they failed to respond within the timescales laid out by their industry organisation. If their signage is poor then you may get them on that.

I have also beaten these legalised thieves. The car park I was caught in went from as long as you wish after 6pm to an hourly rate and I over stayed by 20 minutes without realising.
If they charged £20 or so I would pay but £100 makes me see red as its more than many spend on food for a week!

I went online and printed as much relevent info as I could find for nearby car parks as well as taking pictures of signage.
Some was well out of date but I wanted to flood the buggers with paperwork.

The "solicitors" they use to stay marginally legal are on a small retainer for each "penalty" they churn so make it difficult and they will capitulate.

You should call the hotel first as they have the power to cancel it but certainly appeal on their web site.
I used Scotch Corner early this year and they didn't need my reg number then.

Tesla need to sort this soonest as they are the ones to organise the install and I'm sure pay for the privelege.

It would only take a second to confirm a car is using the chargers. There is nothing close by anyway so why would anyone park there if not charging or using the hotel.

They are making too much money!

ParkingEye had been bought by Capita for £58 million in 2013. But is has now been announced that the business will now be owned by Macquarie following a sale worth £235 million. In 2017/18, the DVLA sold a record 5.65 million vehicle keeper records to private parking firms.

They are making too much money!

ParkingEye had been bought by Capita for £58 million in 2013. But is has now been announced that the business will now be owned by Macquarie following a sale worth £235 million. In 2017/18, the DVLA sold a record 5.65 million vehicle keeper records to private parking firms.

Indeed. They have their money-making routine down. They are probably the most litigious of all of the Private Parking Company scam artists, so you ignore their demands at your peril. However, they aren't so good that they frequently don't make mistakes in their procedures which is where they can, and have been, beaten.

Indeed. They have their money-making routine down. They are probably the most litigious of all of the Private Parking Company scam artists, so you ignore their demands at your peril. However, they aren't so good that they frequently don't make mistakes in their procedures which is where they can, and have been, beaten.
My, possibly outdated, understanding is that they need to take you to court to claim lost revenue. If there was never any need for you to generate revenue for them when parking then presumably you'll be OK.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
The joke is - both Washington and Scotch Corner are not near anything that would make people want to use their car parks anyway. If you are not using the hotel or the chargers then you wouldn't be there!

That's very impressive, but unnecessarily complicated. ;)
upload_2021-1-6_13-10-26.png

Nah.

My, possibly outdated, understanding is that they need to take you to court to claim lost revenue. If there was never any need for you to generate revenue for them when parking then presumably you'll be OK.

I personally wouldn't assume anything with these rogues. They will use a number of tricks to get you to either admit to using the carpark or to trip you up in court.
AFAIK, they'll happily issue you with a court summons for breach of contract. Their claim is that by using the carpark then you have agreed to the terms and conditions. This obviously relies on you having seen and have read the T+Cs, which relies on proper signage, lighting and so on.

The trick is to avoid having to appear in court- who wants that hassle! The MSE parking forum has detailed instructions on how to appeal, letter templates and instructions on how to prevent incriminating yourself.

Reactions: Rustybkts
My wife opened the mail today & we've received a Parking Eye £100 penalty for visiting a Covid Lab in Salford Manchester on New Years Eve to conduct 3 rapid tests (family members returning home to the USA needing 72 hour negative results). It was dark, raining and Laboratory staff assisted us but no mention of the need to register anything.

Maybe there were signs but we were focused on doing the tests in the car within the Laboratories deadline & a terrified 4y old became our priority.

We were there 32 minutes in total & will appeal.

My wife opened the mail today & we've received a Parking Eye £100 penalty for visiting a Covid Lab in Salford Manchester on New Years Eve to conduct 3 rapid tests (family members returning home to the USA needing 72 hour negative results). It was dark, raining and Laboratory staff assisted us but no mention of the need to register anything.

Maybe there were signs but we were focused on doing the tests in the car within the Laboratories deadline & a terrified 4y old became our priority.

We were there 32 minutes in total & will appeal.

Unbelievable!

Reactions: Sixer