Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Scotch Corner Fine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also beaten these legalised thieves. The car park I was caught in went from as long as you wish after 6pm to an hourly rate and I over stayed by 20 minutes without realising.
If they charged £20 or so I would pay but £100 makes me see red as its more than many spend on food for a week!

I went online and printed as much relevent info as I could find for nearby car parks as well as taking pictures of signage.
Some was well out of date but I wanted to flood the buggers with paperwork.

The "solicitors" they use to stay marginally legal are on a small retainer for each "penalty" they churn so make it difficult and they will capitulate.

You should call the hotel first as they have the power to cancel it but certainly appeal on their web site.
I used Scotch Corner early this year and they didn't need my reg number then.

Tesla need to sort this soonest as they are the ones to organise the install and I'm sure pay for the privelege.

It would only take a second to confirm a car is using the chargers. There is nothing close by anyway so why would anyone park there if not charging or using the hotel.
I spoke to the hotel manager, wasn’t interested. Just said appeal through Parking Eye

It wouldn't be too difficult for them to simply not issue tickets to cars registered as a Tesla. Not like there's that many Tesla's around just parking in their car park for fun. It would save their reception a lot of work!
Ridiculous really, Tesla vehicle into Tesla charger bay, half hour and leave, here’s a 100 quid fine cos you didn’t come in and tell us you were there.

My, possibly outdated, understanding is that they need to take you to court to claim lost revenue. If there was never any need for you to generate revenue for them when parking then presumably you'll be OK.
I think they get round this by having a contract with the hotel whereby each parking infraction costs parking eye £100 in fees to the hotel

• Informative
Reactions: 15Peter20
If I recall the detailed post on the MSE forums ref appealing - visibility of that entry-sign is a good attack point.

I’d appeal on the basis of the sign on car park entry being unreasonably/unreadably high. It looked like HGV cab height IIRC. You’re exiting a busy roundabout at speed with a short deceleration area - and there’s often a puddle that hides a pothole....your eyes can’t make the sign out further back - and closer too you’re not looking up at the top of the hotel...but the road.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
0EA0F812-BB1F-4077-8901-6A8197EE8FBE.jpeg

Here’s what’s on each tombstone if it helps - may also breach font-size requirement - it’s A4. ‘Discounted rate’ = zero according to the staff - but it seems misleading not to say free. Staff says it came-in approx Nov.

Another attack might be wrt entering details on a terminal to get a ‘permit’. They could claim they mean an abstract permit like a licence - but you don’t actually get a bit of paper from their terminals which is how I would interpret it. Staff indicate you should register as a visitor - so it’s relevant - but show one thing is invalid and I think the industry body time-consuming appeal process will chuck it out.

I’ve appealed one before for my Mum/another location and they timed-out their response rather than say anything formal along the lines of ‘fair-dos, we withdraw’ to set a precedent.

Last I was up there on a dark snowy night - I saw a few cars charge - but no other drivers go in. I doubt they saw the notices or spotted it on the car display. You’re not the only one being caught by these pirates.

Not the UK Supercharger Site News thread

Good luck fighting it.

Last edited:
The joke is - both Washington and Scotch Corner are not near anything that would make people want to use their car parks anyway. If you are not using the hotel or the chargers then you wouldn't be there!
If this is true then why have Parking Eye muscled in. It may be worth appealing to the hotel owners (not manager). They will pay for this either directly or lost reputation amongst the growing EV Community.

What’s the hotels process for registering? If it’s telling someone who inputs into a computer, claim you went and they must have logged the detail wrong or not bothered. The only evidence then is a cctv recording but I suspect they won’t bother looking too far as it eats into the profit.

The above will only work if you acknowledge you had seen the signs. If not then you would need to try evidence why you didn’t see them.

At Scotch Corner you go in and their is an ipad on the reception desk. You put in your details, but when I went there was no option for EV charging, you just had to put "Hotel Guest". The guy in reception told me that was fine. There is nothing stopping a malicious-parker to do the same so seems totally pointless.

I consider introducing a system which forces you to go inside and play with a shared ipad to be totally tone-deaf in the current pandemic. I had phoned ahead and asked the hotel if, in order to avoid contact, I could phone them from the carpark so that they could enter my details for me and they said they wouldn't do that. If (like me) you are travelling to support a lone person who is isolating then going inside a hotel on the way there is out of the question, which meant on the way there I avoided Scotch Corner and had to spend ages at Leeds instead (incidentally the new chargers at the service centre are in a terrible spot that is overcrowded with customers who aren't there to charge). The whole setup seems to me to be just trying to catch people out

At Scotch Corner you go in and their is an ipad on the reception desk. You put in your details, but when I went there was no option for EV charging, you just had to put "Hotel Guest". The guy in reception told me that was fine. There is nothing stopping a malicious-parker to do the same so seems totally pointless.

I consider introducing a system which forces you to go inside and play with a shared ipad to be totally tone-deaf in the current pandemic. I had phoned ahead and asked the hotel if, in order to avoid contact, I could phone them from the carpark so that they could enter my details for me and they said they wouldn't do that. If (like me) you are travelling to support a lone person who is isolating then going inside a hotel on the way there is out of the question, which meant on the way there I avoided Scotch Corner and had to spend ages at Leeds instead (incidentally the new chargers at the service centre are in a terrible spot that is overcrowded with customers who aren't there to charge). The whole setup seems to me to be just trying to catch people out
I’ve sent a details appeal to Parking Eye. They’ll not be getting a single penny out of me.

I’ve sent a details appeal to Parking Eye. They’ll not be getting a single penny out of me.

Follow the process in the "Newbie" thread on the MSE forum. Appealing to Parking Eye will get you absolutely nowhere and you are much more likely to incriminate yourself (for example, admitting that you were the driver). Start by badgering the hotel manager. Write to the CEO of the hotel telling him/her that its a disgrace and you are going to splash their name all over Twitter. Getting them to cancel it first makes the process easy.

Overturning these spurious invoices (they are not fines) can take a bit of work at times (my last one lasted over 2 years before they chucked the towel in).

I had a close call in a parking lot outside a hotel in Lincoln. I went into to try out a different charger. I started charging after 5 mins of faffing.

I then noticed some signs saying 15 mins max stay or £100 fine, unless you were a hotel resident. or £35 parking fee per day!

I stopped charging almost immediately. Took photos of the charging station charge time and actiual time. Quickly left just before the deadline. Fortunately nothing came of it.

What the hell are EV charging points setting up with these ridiculous parking arrangements..

I'll stick to Tesla supercharging in future

What’s the hotels process for registering? If it’s telling someone who inputs into a computer, claim you went and they must have logged the detail wrong or not bothered. The only evidence then is a cctv recording but I suspect they won’t bother looking too far as it eats into the profit.

The above will only work if you acknowledge you had seen the signs. If not then you would need to try evidence why you didn’t see them.
I always take photos of the screen during registration on the touch screen just incase

Reactions: adsheff