Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Scotch Corner Fine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing that most of these Hotels didn't have a parking issue, rather that the parking companies have sales people on the road offering their "services" and selling their car parking spaces as an extra income stream.

This is why they are loath to cancel these parking charges and Tesla are clearly toothless even though one would assume that they are leasing the Supercharger parking area from the hotel.
This does need sorting and soon because it will only get worse.

Can see it now ParkingSly Rep, ah you have Tesla Superchargers onsite, those people that have those are generally in the A1 demographic and they will pay for us to have you the hotel as cherished customers of ours, we will help solve a problem you don't have with cameras and tech n stuff and it looks cool, and they will pay for it all, as those people they have bags of money! we will all profit together!

That's the key comparison for me. The vehicle clearly needs to be stopped beside the pump or the charger so that it can be refuelled. Nobody ever suggests that you should ever be required to pay for your "parking" spot whilst stopped in front of the petrol pump, that would be absurd!

You can try arguing that until you are blue in the face.Parking Eye are not interested. All they are interested in are profits, and boy, they make profits (it;s why Capita bought them a few years ago).

For the long term, I think the only thing to do is remember to go in to register for ‘parking’ and be an annoyance to the hotel staff by complaining loudly or trying to discuss the signage every single time.

While also trying to do every possible to reduce the number of people who spend money at the hotels and delay their check-in until your charge is finished. Afterall you have 30 minutes to keep talking to the staff for while your car charge.

Reactions: Rustybkts
My understanding is that the driver is responsible for the penalty, and if the registered owner of the vehicle wasn’t the driver then firms like Parking Eye can’t oblige the owner to give the driver’s details. Quite unlike, for instance, a speeding ticket. Three years ago I received a £100 penalty for overstaying in a retail park. I informed the company, quite truthfully, that the person who had been driving lived in France and I gave them her address. Neither of us heard from them again.

I notice that the new supercharger site at Flint Mountain is based at a hotel. It would be useful to know if an unscrupulous parking company is operating there as well.

My understanding is that the driver is responsible for the penalty, and if the registered owner of the vehicle wasn’t the driver then firms like Parking Eye can’t oblige the owner to give the driver’s details. Quite unlike, for instance, a speeding ticket. Three years ago I received a £100 penalty for overstaying in a retail park. I informed the company, quite truthfully, that the person who had been driving lived in France and I gave them her address. Neither of us heard from them again.

I notice that the new supercharger site at Flint Mountain is based at a hotel. It would be useful to know if an unscrupulous parking company is operating there as well.
Aparently not (yet) according to a post on another thread

Top marks to the M3 driver who spotted someone hadn’t noticed the Scotch Corner profiteering-trap on Saturday (~8:15pm), and warned the family to register….nice to see Tesla owners watching out for each other like that.

Reactions: JupiterMan
I've just lost my appeal to POPLA for the Scotch Corner charger. Was in for a 15 mins top up as I wouldn't make it home, pissing down, car park flooded, hotel in darkness due to Covid, no signs on the chargers. That was last December. The delay in them not responding until now was due to Covid.... funny that

Just lost my appeal to POPLA for Scotch corner parking charge. This happened last December when I arrived in the pouring rain driving thru a flooded car park to a Hotel that was shut and in darkness due to Covid. Apparently I should have rang the door bell and a night porter would have opened up for me. Any way I appealed and its taken them 5 months to respond. It took them this long, they say, due to Covid.
Holiday Inn, no chance, nor from the five Sales guys who I work with.

I hope Holiday Inn are reading these posts because I also used to use them and have their loyalty card with plenty of points on it but now go elsewhere due to their use of intransigent parking crooks!
There is a suggestion on a similar thread on kings lynn hotel parking that people should blanket Trip adviser, Google, booking.com etc with negative reviews about the hotel in regards to the parking issues. Not false ones. Genuine negative reviews based on the experiences they have had. Hotels take those ratings seriously. same could apply here

Reactions: Dazguy
There is a possible side effect of this.. That the hotels think "This is too much bother" and make Tesla remove the superchargers altogether, it's what happened at Aviemore. The net result is less SC's at least until alternate sites can be arranged, and a reluctance from hotel chains to have chargers of any kind fitted on their land. I suspect they are very much "stuck in the middle" between the parking companies and "head office" that insists they use them.

While I agree it's a hassle, at least now there isn't much excuse for not knowing that you have to register (can't speak for pre June 2021) at the Scotts Corner site.

The car park and the chargers are plastered with signs telling you to go into reception and register! The car's navigation system also warns you to go into reception and register.

On a side note, despite what the sign implies - you don't get charged for parking while charging :) and the bar/cafe in the hotel serves quite nice cakes with your coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 327
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 98
While I agree it's a hassle, at least now there isn't much excuse for not knowing that you have to register (can't speak for pre June 2021) at the Scotts Corner site.

The car park and the chargers are plastered with signs telling you to go into reception and register! The car's navigation system also warns you to go into reception and register.

On a side note, despite what the sign implies - you don't get charged for parking while charging :) and the bar/cafe in the hotel serves quite nice cakes with your coffee.
except when the hotel is shut due to Covid