Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Scotch Corner Fine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
conning B*£)$)@$rds - this is a total honey trap the first time your stung its not something thats even on your radar. There is Sign overload at these places as it is, and your not used to having to pay to park to charge.. completely shitty of all parties, Tesla, hotel and CP companies.

Sign overload

Agree, and the experience really hurts.

Just money grabbing and double dipping.

At Northampton, even after so long, the signs are ambiguous and to some extent contradictory. You should not need to act on multiple separate signs where it is not obvious if you have done reading!

If one sign says 'you have 30 mins to charge' why would you look for another sign saying you have to do something else out of the ordinary - like sign in at reception.

If it's dark / wet / cold you might not even see the signs at all or expect there to be any.

conning B*£)$)@$rds - this is a total honey trap the first time your stung its not something thats even on your radar. There is Sign overload at these places as it is, and your not used to having to pay to park to charge.. completely shitty of all parties, Tesla, hotel and CP companies.

Completely agree there. Even when you check in at the desk it isn't clear who you check in as and with the choice of 1 - 3 days check in, you may as well check in for three just in case but can you trust it for multiple returns!

These Hotels seem to have an uplift on rates as last week a London Service Centre SC was 24p/kWh yet Scotch Corner and other hotel SC sites tend to be up to 10p higher so if they are being paid (by us) to host the SC site, surely they could be more helpful and/or require the Parking Vultures to recognise a Tesla.

These Hotels seem to have an uplift on rates as last week a London Service Centre SC was 24p/kWh yet Scotch Corner and other hotel SC sites tend to be up to 10p higher so if they are being paid (by us) to host the SC site, surely they could be more helpful and/or require the Parking Vultures to recognise a Tesla.
I think being 'more helpful' isn't one of their key performance indicators.

• Funny
Reactions: arg
Quick update on this one. I also got a £100 fine today from Parking Eye. Thought I would phone the hotel direct before starting the appeals process.

They immediately took my reference and said they would get the charge cancelled. This is a racket, where if enough people just pay without question it is worth their while. The number is 01748 850900 and I spoke to Alex on reception.. If the cancellation doesn't come through I will update the forum.

Hi all

Just received a 100 quid fine for using the Tesla Supercharger at Scotch Corner.

Anyone else had this or similar experience?

Parking Eye seems to be the company. Called the Holiday Inn where the chargers are situated and the guy said I have to “register” with them before using the charger
What happened did you appeal, ignore, it pay up? I was done a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if there’s a legal argument that would defeat these cowboys, such as “I didn’t go in to park but to recharge the car”. They’ll always say the notices are clear, which they aren’t particularly.
All I do know is that we haven’t broken the law, we’ve broken a contract which we never knew about or willingly entered into.

Quick update on this one. I also got a £100 fine today from Parking Eye. Thought I would phone the hotel direct before starting the appeals process.

They immediately took my reference and said they would get the charge cancelled. This is a racket, where if enough people just pay without question it is worth their while. The number is 01748 850900 and I spoke to Alex on reception.. If the cancellation doesn't come through I will update the forum.

A small, but important point. This is not a fine- it is a speculative invoice from a private company trying to claim that you have broken a contract with them. Private companies cannot issues fines.

Don't allow the timescales slip just because the hotel said that they will cancel it. Follow the process as well as waiting for the hotel to cancel it.

What happened did you appeal, ignore, it pay up? I was done a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if there’s a legal argument that would defeat these cowboys, such as “I didn’t go in to park but to recharge the car”. They’ll always say the notices are clear, which they aren’t particularly.
All I do know is that we haven’t broken the law, we’ve broken a contract which we never knew about or willingly entered into.

Yes, there are many ways to defeat them. Sign onto the Money Saving Experts forum, look for the Motoring section and follow the Newbies thread in the Parking sub-forum. Follow it to the letter and you have a chance.
It's not always straightforward, but the alternative is to pay the speculative invoice and add to the profits of this company.

Reactions: Rustybkts
they’ll just remove the ‘discount for early payment’

Also I’d be worried if this provides any kind of validation for what these car parks do - currently you can often just ignore the invoices. Hope this doesn’t change their legal status at all

Happy to be corrected I’m just going by the advice often given in threads like this that they aren’t legally enforceable

It hasn't been like this since the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. It's amazing that this "advice" is still being bandied about.

Some PPCs are extremley litigious- Parking Eye for example. They WILL take you through the courts for breach of contract. Some are much less so and are happy with the amounts coming in via people just paying the charges.

Over the last few years I've fought ParkingEye twice.

First occasion was when I tried 3 different methods to pay but couldn't, so got back in the car and left - appealed to POPLA who eventually agreed with me (needed to get the CCTV footage from the car park owner which was a huge faff, but eventually proved that I'd tried to pay. All this even though I was in the car park for a total of 7 minutes).

Second occasion a car park for a customer of ours. Customer had said they'd 'whitelisted' my car, but turns out they hadn't. Customer went into administration while the appeals process was going on, so essentially not interested in helping. Refused to pay the charge for around 7 months, threatened with legal action which I kindly advised them to crack on with. Got a date to attend small claims court - I turned up but they didn't show, so it got thrown out. Sent ParkingEye an invoice for my time. Strangely enough they've failed to respond.

They are massive scumbags.

I got the exact same response from them, absolutely not interested. I ended up paying the fine in the end.
I took this to their internal appeal process, which was rejected by ParkingEye. Then took it to POPLA after reading very carefully the information posted **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!
I won the appeal on the basis that ParkingEye could not prove they had the right to issue a charge by demonstrating their contract with the landowner allowed them to do that. They fought it all the way to the end using boilerplate letters that had no relevance to the appeal.

I took this to their internal appeal process, which was rejected by ParkingEye. Then took it to POPLA after reading very carefully the information posted **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!
I won the appeal on the basis that ParkingEye could not prove they had the right to issue a charge by demonstrating their contract with the landowner allowed them to do that. They fought it all the way to the end using boilerplate letters that had no relevance to the appeal.
Lol, I won an appeal for a parking "infraction" by trawling local council parking websites and printing as much relevant/irrelevant paperwork as I could find in mitigation of my supposed "offence". The reply envelope was very thick!
They employ jobbing solicitors for a fixed amount per "penalty" and can't be bothered with a long drawn out appeal.
These parking bloodsuckers are simply a licence to print money and should have been closely legislated from the start.
They happily charge more for a minor overstay than many families spend on food for a week for what is usually a short parking overstay worth a couple of quid, or simply forgetting to check in on a tablet after paying to use a Rapid/Supercharger which surely covers the parking costs anyway.

Reactions: Zakalwe
I called the Holiday Inn in Scotch Corner and the immediately cancelled the fine for me.

Idiotic system with unclear signage that is still going strong in mid-2022. If you have to use this location, register inside the hotel. Acceptable coffee served in pleasant bar while charging.

I called the Holiday Inn in Scotch Corner and the immediately cancelled the fine for me.

Idiotic system with unclear signage that is still going strong in mid-2022. If you have to use this location, register inside the hotel. Acceptable coffee served in pleasant bar while charging.
Good result. Welcome to the forum ... if you had been hanging out here for a while you would probably have known about this notorious Supercharger location! ;)