Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Scotts Valley, CA (LIVE 30 Jan 2020, 16 V3 stalls + Magic Docks)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 5 or six Teslas charging here at any given time while I have been here charging for an hour. It is not even on the map yet. Damn this one is gonna be really busy with possible wait times.

As with a lot of places, I would speculate that the early bird gets the Supercharger. I was there this morning a little before 9AM and I only saw two other cars charging in 30 minutes (only one at a time).

The physical layout of this site is confusing. I drove down the wrong aisle in the parking lot before figuring things out, and I can see a lot of people making that mistake. Also there's no obvious place to queue up, if it comes to that.

Still, 16 stalls is a lot compared to some other places.

Bruce.

Im curious what charging speeds people are seeing here. I was the one that posted the first picture of charging. I was getting 36 kw, today i tried again and was only getting 20 kw. The other interesting thing is that i dont get charged for the session, and my model 3 still shows the last supercharging as a different location. It seems to me like they are running the site at a low power, and its not even on the super charger maps yet.

Im curious what charging speeds people are seeing here. I was the one that posted the first picture of charging. I was getting 36 kw, today i tried again and was only getting 20 kw. The other interesting thing is that i dont get charged for the session, and my model 3 still shows the last supercharging as a different location. It seems to me like they are running the site at a low power, and its not even on the super charger maps yet.

So, the numbers 36 kW and 20kW don't really mean a whole lot by themselves in isolation. To give some context to the numbers you'd need to give at least the state of charge of your car's battery pack, the model and battery capacity of the car. (There are a couple of other factors having to do with temperature.)

The max rate for the charging session I did this morning was 51kW. My Model S 85D had just pulled in with 53% SOC (after a drive for an hour, so the pack had plenty of opportunity to get warmed up). That's about in line with my expectations.

Bruce.

Reactions: Sherlo
So, the numbers 36 kW and 20kW don't really mean a whole lot by themselves in isolation. To give some context to the numbers you'd need to give at least the state of charge of your car's battery pack, the model and battery capacity of the car. (There are a couple of other factors having to do with temperature.)

The max rate for the charging session I did this morning was 51kW. My Model S 85D had just pulled in with 53% SOC (after a drive for an hour, so the pack had plenty of opportunity to get warmed up). That's about in line with my expectations.

Bruce.

I understand what you are saying, but these are supposed to be LVL 3 superchargers. I have received much higher than 51kW when at 50% capacity at other superchargers. Maybe i am wrong, but i would expect more like 100kW at least for a few minutes while at 50% capacity.

In fact i just found a chart on cleantechnica that shows about 120kW for optimal charging conditions for a model 3 with 50% battery

Today i was about about 60% capacity when i was only getting 21kW. Im sure i was not at optimum conditions, but you would expect quite a bit better than that.

Next time i will provide results after my commute from san jose with presumably much warmer battery with more like 15% remaining capacity. That should be much closer to optimum charging conditions.

oh btw, i have a model 3 long range. you can see my first post with specific numbers a couple days ago

Were you in one of the stalls towards the post office? I peaked briefly at over 120 kW at somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% SoC in my X yesterday in the stall next to the handicapped stall. Today, starting from a similar SoC today, with only maybe five fewer miles of warm-up driving, in the stall right next to the nose-in stall in the other bank, I think it peaked at closer to 72 kW.

So there may be something going wrong with one of the charger stacks already. o_O Or it might just have needed to warm up more, and I might have been at Erik's when it peaked this time. :D

I'd say wait until it's on the map and then if you are still getting low power start complaining. There's several examples of superchargers that are "live" but not officially open putting out sub-optimal power. Once they formally "open" things improved. They might not be at full juice during the final start up/testing phase.

Reactions: Mountian
It looks like the Scotts Valley Supercharger is now shown on the Tesla map

upload_2020-2-4_8-45-20.png

First timer at this SpC or the new 3rd Gen. 2 other cars charging 10:40 AM. Preconditioned battery on the way up Hwy 17 (or actually down - cuz it's south).

With 135 miles on board, started charging at 131 kW or 558 mi/hr. 15 minutes later - on my way and left one car charging. Bill was $8.99 for 29 kWh @ $ 0.31kWh.

Can get crowded by non chargers - very close to Nob Hill Supermarket. Lots of diversions, but probably wasted since charge times will be quick.

Nice town.

Reactions: house9 and Mountian
Is this showing up on anyone's nav map yet?
Yes, it is.

Stopped here in my S 75D today at about 6% SOC. Briefly peaked at 128 kW and stayed well above 100 kW for a good while. I'm guessing that's about the best you can do on a 75D.

Of course, the best part about these V3 chargers is that I was parked next to another Tesla and still got a pretty great charge rate. No more sharing current between neighbors!

I just had a little encounter with someone at this Scotts Valley supercharger location today who I'm guessing is apparently upset at seeing a bunch of parking spaces taken away to accommodate the superchargers (or perhaps he has a more general grudge against Tesla).

We were parked in the adjacent row of spaces next to the supercharger row to buy groceries at Nob Hill. When we came back with our groceries in a cart, we saw this guy take the trouble to shove his now empty shopping cart over the curbs and across the divider to park it in one of the Tesla slots. As he got back in his car and started to back out, I walked over and dragged the cart back over the divider in order to return it to the store with our own. At this point he had pulled back into the parking space and rolled down his window to ask me something along the lines of "Are you trying to say something??" I replied with something like "How's that?" or "What's that?" and then he declared that he had put his cart over there on purpose. I responded with a "That's good..." and my girlfriend with a "We'll just put the cart away for you..." as we each walked off pushing the carts back to the store. When we returned, he was gone. I don't know if he noticed we were loading a Tesla, but I'm sure it wouldn't help his attitude if he did.

Anyway, nothing to see here, just some more unfortunate ill will directed at Tesla.

Last edited:
A couple of times i've been there i've had to have a random conversation or two with those who may not be happy about it. I'd say about 75% of the time there is a truck parked in a spot or two. A few times i've seen bigger trucks blocking multiple stalls on the lower set of chargers facing the post office.

In general nothing too bad. One guy made sure to let me know it was inconvenient and told me that they should make Tesla Charge stations. Another made sure to let me know he wasn't happy about the spots being taken up now and how empty they always are. To that one I just said "honestly I don't see an issue in you parking here if they're not full of Tesla's. That said there are plenty of other spots."

There will be encounters like this in SV simply due to the culture in the Santa Cruz mountains. I've been Coal Rolled a few times on Bonny Doon. It's funny because I also have a 4Runner and would probably own a Tundra/Tacoma if I worked locally in the area. It's a community afraid of change. The biggest fight in this area right now is what to put in the closed KMart.