Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Scotts Valley, CA (LIVE 30 Jan 2020, 16 V3 stalls + Magic Docks)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We stopped here yesterday on the way back home from Monterey (decided to take 17 for a change instead of 156). My first trip to a V3 supercharger. I see some comments about slow speed above, so I'll mention the speed - it was amazing. My car is a Model S 75 which used to top out at 95 Kw when new (due to the 350 v battery) but after the unlocks can sometimes get to just over 100 now. We were in my wife's Model 3 LR RWD though. Came in with a pre-conditioned battery at 30% SoC. We hit 219 Kw briefly before it settled down around 170 Kw. That was amazing. Just over half of the stalls were in use and there was no icing - not even one. This was at 3:15 PM on Saturday the 20th. Fortunately no uncomfortable conversations with locals either. We pulled 150 miles in 20 minutes. We usually do splash and dash but it took a bit to walk over to the Peet's to get coffee and then to use the restroom in Nob Hill so we ended up taking more charge than we usually would have. All in all this was a nice stop.

That was amazing. Just over half of the stalls were in use and there was no icing - not even one. This was at 3:15 PM on Saturday the 20th.

A couple of ICE cars had just left when you got there. I know this because I was leaving right around the time that you got there, apparently. :D (I was on my way down to Santa Cruz, because I'm the show runner for Holy Cross's live stream Mass webcasts.)

And yes, I'm a real fan of the V3 hardware at Scotts Valley. Even in my pre-Raven 100D, it's considerably faster than the V2 chargers ever are, usually by a good fifteen or twenty minutes.

E53C4628-DD57-46C6-8178-FA84995CB441.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon73
This whole magic dock is going to be interesting. MKHD put it best on how confusing things will be with non Tesla taking up two spaces.
It’s why they are doubling supercharger deployment in the next two years. And charging a premium for it. And V2 will remain Tesla only. None of those is exactly reassuring but… too bad they couldn’t make magic dock V2 only (but then it wouldn’t qualify for funding).

It’s why they are doubling supercharger deployment in the next two years. And charging a premium for it. And V2 will remain Tesla only. None of those is exactly reassuring but… too bad they couldn’t make magic dock V2 only (but then it wouldn’t qualify for funding).

Pretty sure it doesn’t qualify for funding, anyway, as it doesn’t meet 150 kW simultaneous requirement. I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: RTPEV