Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seabrook, NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be a good site for the (very few at present) Teslas in Nova Scotia, or Tesla owners looking to tour here. With the Portland - Yarmouth ferry back in operation, Northbound traffic could arrive at the ferry (and thus in Yarmouth) with 150 miles or range left.
It would be cool to be able to slow-charge on the ferry, but the idea of using a diesel generator to power a Tesla makes me feel dirty.

This site is an important stepping stone along I-95 generally. Portland—Boston round trip is a close thing without charging, so anything further east than Portland (e.g. Freeport) is out of range.
The I-95 additions Tesla shows for 2015 are:
  • Seabrook
  • South Portland
  • Augusta
  • Bangor
Let's hope that they get these in soon!

Source:
http://www.seabrooknh.info/wp-content/uploads/05-19-15-Planning-Board-Minutes.pdf

ONGOING CASE
Case # 2015-07: Proposal by DDR and Tesla Motors Inc. to install 8 electric vehicle charging
stations on 10 parking spaces at Seabrook Commons, 700 Lafayette Road,
Tax Map 8, Lot 55-200.
Attending: Jesse Karp, Regional Manager, TESLA Motors
Janvrin called attention to the Technical Review Committee Minutes of May 11, 2015, and the
letters from TESLA responding to the TRC and DDR, in re their support and re the parking update,
as well as the turning radius drawing as requested. Karp said the TRC comments were
appreciated, noting that per his letter the primary concerns were re the parking spots and safety.
According to the DDR parking memorandum, there were 90 retail spaces in excess of the zoning
requirements in the proposed TESLA vicinity, of which 56 were for Panera and 20 were for
expanding the number of cars for the Outback. TESLA needed 10 spots of which 4 would be
dedicated to TESLA cars, 4 to accommodate other electric autos, and 2 spaces for the transformer
and electric connections.
Karp said the TRC expressed concern about potential impacts on the charging stations; they will
design a system of bollard enclosure that would be satisfactory to the Building Inspector. TESLA
will provide an operational manual and training for fire and police personnel. A lock box allowing
fire department emergency access will be posted. He called attention to the turning radius drawing
showing the sweep for trucks as adequate. Zalewski wanted to see the bollards drawing in
advance. Friberg said to coordinate the drive aisles and bollards with Zalewski.

Chase asked if more parking spots would be a good idea. Karp said they were leasing the spots,
and also working with Unitil. Janvrin commented on the drive aisle protection noting that the
footprint fits the current specifications. Khan wanted to be sure the fire and police concerns were
addressed as a condition of approval. Friberg commented that this was a new technology, so
training plus a fire safety plan was appropriate, noting that the single mishap was with outside
faulty wiring. Karp commented that there were 4 or 5 transformer connections nearby. Zalewski
asked about using the other side of the driveway. Karp said that would require an ok from the
Outback. It would be cost effective to pull the power to the island. Chase asked if they did borings.
Karp said they did. Janvrin noted there were no water or sewer connections. Chase noted there
would be access all around. Karp said there could be different designs, but only single gates that
do not open into a drive aisle. They work in a confined area. Zalewski emphasized the need for
crash hardware on the fencing to protect the transformer. Karp said they would provide a fire
safety plan that addressed extrication in an emergency. Morgan thought the discussion was
getting close to over-engineering.
Chase asked why they would not use a guardrail. Karp said that DDR was concerned about
keeping with the overall aesthetics of the shopping center. Khan asked if they used metal posts.
Zalewski understood they would use steel cylinders with foundations, filled with concrete. Friberg
commented that guardrails could be yielding.

MOTION: Kelley to approve Case #2015-07: DDR and TESLA Motors,
Inc. to install 8 vehicle charging stations on 10 parking
spaces at Seabrook Commons 700Tax Map 8, Lot 55-
200 conditioned on the Applicant:
(i) providing $5000 as security;
(ii) providing a written fire safety plan, and training for
fire and police department personnel prior to opening;
(iii) installing a lock box with the key provided to the
fire department with instructions for emergency
shutoff;
(iv) installing a safety barricade satisfactory to the
Code Enforcement Officer and the peer review civil
engineer;
(v) depict power connections, gates, fencing with
essential information and training for first responders;
(vii) providing a letter from Unitil as to its approval and
satisfaction with the transformer design;
(viii) providing revised plans entirely satisfactory to
the town planner and the peer review civil engineer;
(ix) paying all of the open invoices to date prior to the
Chair signing the plans and scheduling the preconstruction
meeting.
SECOND: Janvrin Approved: Janvrin, Chase, Khan, Kelley,
Abstained: Lowry

Lots of conditions for approval - hopefully those won't result in a holdup.

I noticed the local electric company is Unitil. This is different than Hooksett (PSNH/Eversource) and West Lebanon (Liberty), so don't use utility delays at those sites (*cough*West Leb*cough*) as a proxy for Unitil's connection time.

4 spaces dedicated to Tesla cars and 4 spaces to accommodate other electric autos?

I think this just was confused with the 4 Tesla only spots and 4 Tesla charging and 30 minute parking for others as is seen other places.

All the conditions seem tedious, but are typical of many local authorities these days. My guess is that Tesla will accept all of the conditions and move forward.

Thanks for posting the minutes. To me, the actual decision (the last bit) just approves 8 charging spaces, with no conditions about other vehicles. I think it's a complete win, though who knows how long the utility will take to give its approval. You'd think they'd be all for promoting greater electricity use, but that rarely seems to be the case.

I'm off to Maine in a couple of weeks and will need to go via Hookset and a destination charger. Can't wait for a SC almost anywhere in Maine.

Still nothing on the Bangor Planning Board meeting agendas...

Nothing on Augusta either, and a person at Code Enforcement I email every 2 months hasn't heard anything since maybe an initial general enquiry in March.

Seabrook would be a huge help for Model S owners, I'm sure. Oh well, I was hoping that this Drive Electric Week in South Portland might get some more Model S-driving vacationers.

Last edited:
But it's on the 2015 supercharger map...
That and $4 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck's. But seriously, I do think this station will be online this year. Tesla has markedly slowed the pace of N American SC deployment, but it's not so foolish as to let a permit expire. Getting this station done before winter would be a good goal, not only to make construction easier but also to enable winter travel on this corridor.

Construction has begun! Hallelujah! I just went to Outback yesterday and things are moving right along. I saw boxes for the supercharge stations and they have already dug the hole for the transformer and the channel beneath the chargers. It look like this one might go in quick.

IMG_3825-001.JPG
IMG_3824-001.JPG
IMG_3823-001.JPG
IMG_3822-001.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Here is where in the Seabrook COmmons parking lot the Supercharging stations will be. Right between Outback and Panera Bread. What is it about Panera Bread that attracts Superchargers? :)
- MyTesla
Tesla_seabrook_map.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3822-001.JPG
    IMG_3822-001.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 372