Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seabrook, NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. Does not look good for my trip to Camden on weekend of 9/25-27. Oh, well, maybe next trip.
(Not sure my 70D will have been delivered by then anyway, but if it is, I am not sure I would try going to Camden without this SC in operation.)

Well, I got my 70D in time for my trip to Camden last Friday, but I chickened out. I took my MB E320. We had had the Tesla only a couple of days and my spouse had not yet driven it, so she was very reluctant to drive it on the long ride to Maine as her first driving experience. And I was frankly anxious about charging without the Seabrook site in operation. The motel where we stayed has a 30-amp charger, and that would have been sufficient for overnight charging, but it was getting there and back that concerned me. As it happened, there was a level 2 charger right around the corner from where we happened to stop for lunch in Kennebunk, which might have been enough for the eastbound trip.
Plus there was another factor -- we were going there for a Mercedes Benz Club event! I have been a member for more than 30 years and was unsure how it would "look" to bring the Tesla. As it turned out, it would have been a big hit -- several people had heard I had one and expressed disappointment that I did not bring it. (Members in northern New England have little opportunity to see a Tesla, with no stores there and few owners.)
But our rally also involved a lot of bad roads and some gravel, so I was actually glad not to be subjecting my brand-new car to the gravel.
I have a friend up there, and I promised him I'd come back once the Seabrook SC is in service.

Well, I got my 70D in time for my trip to Camden last Friday, but I chickened out. I took my MB E320. We had had the Tesla only a couple of days and my spouse had not yet driven it, so she was very reluctant to drive it on the long ride to Maine as her first driving experience.
Wise call. The first longish drive my wife and I took in my Model S was from Boston to Portland (ME) round-trip, with no charging available in Portland at the time (2012). It was cold and windy, and while we made it, it was WAY to close for her comfort. She's been gun-shy about taking the Model S ever since.

Well, I got my 70D in time for my trip to Camden last Friday, but I chickened out.

I grew up in Camden and still have family there. I've made the trip in my 60 from Lunenburg. Destination charging is a must; I also stopped each way for an hour at the Nissan across from the Maine Mall. It's an easy walk to the mall and several restaurants - Ruby Tuesday, Friendly's, Chinese, Chipotle, and more. I have just barely enough range to make it without stopping if I drive conservatively, but it gives me a little cushion.

Wise call. The first longish drive my wife and I took in my Model S was from Boston to Portland (ME) round-trip, with no charging available in Portland at the time (2012). It was cold and windy, and while we made it, it was WAY to close for her comfort. She's been gun-shy about taking the Model S ever since.

My 70D was brand new in June and I took it from Miami to Nova Scotia, and it was a fantastic ride and I had no range issues. I super-charged my way to Portland where I got a CHAdeMO at the Fore St. Garage and from there hopped on the ferry to NS. Once in NS there are destination chargers mostly 30A but there is now a Tesla Destination charger 80A about half way to Halifax and a CHAdeMO when you get to Halifax and many 30A J1772's - even at the airport. Almost all are free for the price of parking which you would have to pay anyway.

I am going back without the Portland Ferry but will try the St. John NB ferry and probably slow charge my way down to Portland (or Seabrook if it is up) and Super Charge onward from there. I can understand the issues in 2012, but allot has changed. I would encourage long trips, I never found them fun before my Model S.

I grew up in Camden and still have family there. I've made the trip in my 60 from Lunenburg. Destination charging is a must; I also stopped each way for an hour at the Nissan across from the Maine Mall. It's an easy walk to the mall and several restaurants - Ruby Tuesday, Friendly's, Chinese, Chipotle, and more. I have just barely enough range to make it without stopping if I drive conservatively, but it gives me a little cushion.

Thanks for the tip. I gather that the Nissan dealer has been cooperative. Does he have only one CHADeMO unit? Ever had a Nissan get there first and have to wait?

I might have to consider buying a CHADeMO adapter....

Thanks for the tip. I gather that the Nissan dealer has been cooperative. Does he have only one CHADeMO unit? Ever had a Nissan get there first and have to wait?

I might have to consider buying a CHADeMO adapter....

There is also a fast charger/CHAdeMO at the South Portland Community Center. Free. I was there last week. IIRC I was getting about 110 miles/hr charge rate. About a half mile walk to 'food' or you can go in and read/relax in the community center.

@TslaIsFuture, Will be returning from Acadia NP on this Saturday and would appreciate a "heads up" if Seabrook is online. Much better location than Hooksett. Charged here at Smugglers Den RV park(14-50) for $15.00 and also at destination charger at Newcastle Inn in Newcastle, ME for 2 hrs($5.00) on the way up. Plan destination charging at Kennebunkport on the return trip. Drove to the top of Cadillac Mt and regenerated almost 10 mi on the way down!

@TslaIsFuture, Will be returning from Acadia NP on this Saturday and would appreciate a "heads up" if Seabrook is online. Much better location than Hooksett. Charged here at Smugglers Den RV park(14-50) for $15.00 and also at destination charger at Newcastle Inn in Newcastle, ME for 2 hrs($5.00) on the way up. Plan destination charging at Kennebunkport on the return trip. Drove to the top of Cadillac Mt and regenerated almost 10 mi on the way down!
You might consider the South Portland Community Center;Close to major highways ; free; only issue is need CHaMedo adapter for the fast charger.

Don't forget the 80A J1772 and Chademo at the Fore Street Garage in Portland.

Historically, it's taken a while for the other NH superchargers to have their transformers connected after installation, so I wouldn't expect power by Sat.

But then all three sites are served by different utilities, so who knows.

I was going to chime in with the Fore St. Garage, lots to do in Portland in that area. There is also a charger at Prime Mercedes on Rt 1 in Scarborough, not sure how friendly they are though, and not a ton to do, but it might be free.

AIMc, does your blue S have NY plates? Thought I saw one on my street the other week, down from the Comunity Center, in Scarborough. I rarely see Model S' in this area other than a grey one that I think the founder of Idexx owns.

I was going to chime in with the Fore St. Garage, lots to do in Portland in that area. There is also a charger at Prime Mercedes on Rt 1 in Scarborough, not sure how friendly they are though, and not a ton to do, but it might be free.

AIMc, does your blue S have NY plates? Thought I saw one on my street the other week, down from the Comunity Center, in Scarborough. I rarely see Model S' in this area other than a grey one that I think the founder of Idexx owns.

No. Delaware. I have family that I visited in the Portland area two weeks ago.

I did not see another S in Maine. I have my Portland area brother interested. He has a reservation but will defer until Maine gets a couple SCs

I drove by tonight on my way home and it is close but not open yet. The pic is not great but shows progress.

20151006_183726.jpg