TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Sealy Texas

Discussion in 'Texas Supercharger locations' started by hmerrill3, Nov 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hmerrill3

hmerrill3 Texas Rail Jail Survivor

Found this online record TDLR TABS - Project Details The TDLR website is where one registers a construction project for accessibility compliance, a required precursor to applying for construction permits valued over $50K in the state of Texas
    Address: 6701 US Hwy 90 Sealy, TX 77474.
    Location County: Colorado
    Start Date: 1/6/2020
    Completion Date: 3/6/2020

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  2. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

Wonder if this will be the one to eventually replace Columbus?

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

What’s the deal with Columbus?

4. hmerrill3

Small (6 Chargers), slower than most, frequently ICE'd, hidden at the back of the Holiday Inn, a trek to any restaurant with no sidewalks on a heavily trafficked street, low (i.e. it will flood). The restrooms at the Holiday Inn are good though.

Basically the worst supercharger location I've ever been to between Austin and Mobile.

• Informative x 2
  5. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

And I thought Alexandria, LA was bad.

• Funny x 1
  6. hmerrill3

Been to Alex. LA, can't compete with BR (hard to compete with stocking up on The Boot at Trader Joes) but Alex. is several steps above the Columbus, TX SC.

7. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Active Member

This looks like a great location for a semi SC.

8. hmerrill3

Not sure why this got logged as having 10 stalls. There is nothing in the TDLR record online that gives a stall count.

I see ReadyLeaf's point about a semi-SC. That would be an interesting development.

• Like x 1
  9. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Mr. PlugShare

There is no stall number on the document, and I needed to put in a specific number of stalls, and I decided on 10, which is pretty much the average amount of stalls. If you want me to put 1 stall, I can do it, but it will stir up useless speculation.

• Funny x 1
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Sealy, TX

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
    Along State Routes: None

I-10

To: Katy, TX - 31.7 miles
    Diversion: 0.6 miles
    To: Channelview, TX - 75.9 miles

Another alternative to Columbus, TX along I-10.
    Recent TA Travel Center opened 1 to 2 years ago. According to Google Streetview it's still an open field. :p

11. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

#11 Twiglett, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    can we use the cost as a guesstimate of the number of stalls?
    Who knows, 170k could be the cost of the 2 stall temporary setup in South Padre.
    [edit]
    OK, using cost to connect to stalls and using the Leon Springs site
    Supercharger - I-10 Leon Springs, TX
    This site has a cost estimate of $168k for 10 stalls, so it sounds reasonable that Sealy could also be 10

• Informative x 1
  12. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

The standard on supercharge.info has been 8 stalls when they are uncertain. You guys should be consistent, because if I see something other than 8, I assume someone has specific information.

• Like x 2
  13. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I’ve been charging there since 2013 and would disagree with all these statements. I’ve never seen it ICEd. It’s not a Holiday Inn, and the Mexican restaurant (Los Cabos) next door is great, as is their sister restaurant Nancy’s across the street for salad bar and hamburgers. Better food than at most superchargers in Texas.

• Like x 1
  14. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

TA travel center. I prefer this over a hotel.

15. electricglider

You disagree with all of those statements but don't directly talk about half of them. It's widely known that it has flooded multiple times before. And with only 6 superchargers it's one of the smaller supercharging locations in Texas; that's simply a fact. And add to all of that there have been on going issues with with charging speed and charging not working at all which I've personally experienced.
    I remember when a lot of us here questioned why Flatonia was added when it's relatively close to Columbus, but I'm very glad they were added though.

16. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

I charged at the columbus supercharger back in September. I can agree that this site is an oddball. Half the chargers worked and the one i used was slow.

17. moorelin

moorelin Member

I've charged there maybe 5 times and agree with TexasEV. Particularly since I know where it is, location is not a problem and many others are further from the highway or harder to find. I don't think I ever saw even 1 ICE. Maybe 1 or 2 bad pedestals, but never a real problem and that happens elsewhere. Most important for me is that Los Cabos is at least a couple of notches above the usual SC food and is close.

Flooding definitely a potential issue, but rare. YMMV, but Columbus is somewhere in the top half of the approx. 25 SC's that I have been to.

18. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

It should also be noted that the cabinets are elevated at Columbus, so the flooding doesn't damage the supercharger functionality. I can't remember how the parking lot was laid out, but I was there a week after Harvey and it was dry. Obviously if the whole parking lot gets obstructed by floodwaters, you wouldn't be able to access the superchargers.