Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sealy Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hmerrill3

Texas Rail Jail Survivor
Jun 10, 2018
Houston, Texas
Found this online record TDLR TABS - Project Details The TDLR website is where one registers a construction project for accessibility compliance, a required precursor to applying for construction permits valued over $50K in the state of Texas
Address: 6701 US Hwy 90 Sealy, TX 77474.
Location County: Colorado
Start Date: 1/6/2020
Completion Date: 3/6/2020

What’s the deal with Columbus?
Small (6 Chargers), slower than most, frequently ICE'd, hidden at the back of the Holiday Inn, a trek to any restaurant with no sidewalks on a heavily trafficked street, low (i.e. it will flood). The restrooms at the Holiday Inn are good though.

Basically the worst supercharger location I've ever been to between Austin and Mobile.

Small (6 Chargers), slower than most, frequently ICE'd, hidden at the back of the Holiday Inn, a trek to any restaurant with no sidewalks on a heavily trafficked street, low (i.e. it will flood). The restrooms at the Holiday Inn are good though.

Basically the worst supercharger location I've ever been to between Austin and Mobile.
And I thought Alexandria, LA was bad.

• Funny
Reactions: TexasDuke
Not sure why this got logged as having 10 stalls. There is nothing in the TDLR record online that gives a stall count.

I see ReadyLeaf's point about a semi-SC. That would be an interesting development.
There is no stall number on the document, and I needed to put in a specific number of stalls, and I decided on 10, which is pretty much the average amount of stalls. If you want me to put 1 stall, I can do it, but it will stir up useless speculation.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Sealy, TX

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: None

I-10

To: Katy, TX - 31.7 miles
Diversion: 0.6 miles
To: Channelview, TX - 75.9 miles

Another alternative to Columbus, TX along I-10.
Recent TA Travel Center opened 1 to 2 years ago. According to Google Streetview it's still an open field. :p

can we use the cost as a guesstimate of the number of stalls?
Who knows, 170k could be the cost of the 2 stall temporary setup in South Padre.
[edit]
OK, using cost to connect to stalls and using the Leon Springs site
Supercharger - I-10 Leon Springs, TX
This site has a cost estimate of $168k for 10 stalls, so it sounds reasonable that Sealy could also be 10

Last edited:
There is no stall number on the document, and I needed to put in a specific number of stalls, and I decided on 10, which is pretty much the average amount of stalls. If you want me to put 1 stall, I can do it, but it will stir up useless speculation.
The standard on supercharge.info has been 8 stalls when they are uncertain. You guys should be consistent, because if I see something other than 8, I assume someone has specific information.

I’ve been charging there since 2013 and would disagree with all these statements. I’ve never seen it ICEd. It’s not a Holiday Inn, and the Mexican restaurant (Los Cabos) next door is great, as is their sister restaurant Nancy’s across the street for salad bar and hamburgers. Better food than at most superchargers in Texas.

I’ve been charging there since 2013 and would disagree with all these statements. I’ve never seen it ICEd. It’s not a Holiday Inn, and the Mexican restaurant (Los Cabos) next door is great, as is their sister restaurant Nancy’s across the street for salad bar and hamburgers. Better food than at most superchargers in Texas.
You disagree with all of those statements but don't directly talk about half of them. It's widely known that it has flooded multiple times before. And with only 6 superchargers it's one of the smaller supercharging locations in Texas; that's simply a fact. And add to all of that there have been on going issues with with charging speed and charging not working at all which I've personally experienced.
I remember when a lot of us here questioned why Flatonia was added when it's relatively close to Columbus, but I'm very glad they were added though.

I've charged there maybe 5 times and agree with TexasEV. Particularly since I know where it is, location is not a problem and many others are further from the highway or harder to find. I don't think I ever saw even 1 ICE. Maybe 1 or 2 bad pedestals, but never a real problem and that happens elsewhere. Most important for me is that Los Cabos is at least a couple of notches above the usual SC food and is close.

Flooding definitely a potential issue, but rare. YMMV, but Columbus is somewhere in the top half of the approx. 25 SC's that I have been to.

It should also be noted that the cabinets are elevated at Columbus, so the flooding doesn't damage the supercharger functionality. I can't remember how the parking lot was laid out, but I was there a week after Harvey and it was dry. Obviously if the whole parking lot gets obstructed by floodwaters, you wouldn't be able to access the superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
No construction underway yet and the only thing that looked as if construction might be getting ramped up is a large (50') storage/shipping container on the east (or right) side of the property. It appears the utility power is located on the opposite side of the property.

Attachments

• 20200115_115910.jpg
    20200115_115910.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 198