Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seattle, WA - NW. Ballard Way (LIVE Dec 2020, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 and I charged tonight starting at ~60% and it never got above 35 kw. I was not sharing. I thought about moving but didn’t.

Thanks @chrstna4 I wonder how other cars were getting around 62KW with similar models, weather was cold for everyone tonight and similar SOC. I think this supercharger maxes out at 72KW? Maybe I need to get a better sample size from other superchargers before I get paranoid about my battery.

One more thing interesting is when I arrived there were two cars charging, and 6 spots available on the nav, that’s fine. Then when I plugged in, there were 3 cars charging in total, but only 2 spots available on the nav. Phantom SC occupation seems to be a problem.

I don't know if something is seriously wrong with my battery. I have a 2016 Model S-75. I went in this evening at 100 miles range so SOC was ~42%. Max I ever got was 34Kw :(, hovering around b/w 28 to 34KW. Isn't that way too low?
  1. I was not sharing charging with anyone (like 1A, 1B, etc)
  2. I talked to 4 other Tesla owners, each one of them were around 50 to 65Kw similar SOC
Did anyone else notice this slow supercharging speed? If not, looks like its my battery and I need to reach out to Tesla service :(

View attachment 617136

Was the battery cold? What had you been doing prior to Supercharging?

I didn’t investigate too thoroughly but are the stalls all As on one side and all Bs on the other?

A on one side, B on the other.

• Helpful
Reactions: chrstna4
Prior to supercharging, car was idle in a cold garage at home. I live 1.6 miles from this supercharger so likely there wasn't enough time to precondition/warm the battery but still 28KW at 100 miles is ridiculous and getting me worried about my battery...

Sounds like a normal charge rate for the car having been stationary in cool weather with minimal preconditioning prior to plugging in.

I don't know if something is seriously wrong with my battery. I have a 2016 Model S-75. I went in this evening at 100 miles range so SOC was ~42%. Max I ever got was 34Kw :(, hovering around b/w 28 to 34KW. Isn't that way too low?
  1. I was not sharing charging with anyone (like 1A, 1B, etc)
  2. I talked to 4 other Tesla owners, each one of them were around 50 to 65Kw similar SOC
Did anyone else notice this slow supercharging speed? If not, looks like its my battery and I need to reach out to Tesla service :(

View attachment 617136

Cold temps and higher state of charge will cause “slow” charging. The car basically needs to be at highway speed for like 30+ minutes or city speeds for an hour or so to get the battery up to temp.

Reactions: goneskiian
I’m using AT&T and got zero signal on the site. Anyone using other carriers have decent coverage?
With all my scouting trips while this was under construction, I can tell you that the media (usually TuneIn app) in my Model S consistently stopped working on the lower level of the garage. My Verizon phone seemed to be hit or miss, probably good enough to send a text message, but not good enough to surf the internet. That being said, it's very easy to just take the escalator up to the ground level where the phone works like normal. Only takes about 15 seconds as the escalator is right there.

Maybe I need to get a better sample size from other superchargers before I get paranoid about my battery.
This is definitely the case. I would never contact Tesla service after just one bad supercharging experience. There are so many potential causes. The most likely culprits here are cold battery and new supercharger, both known causes of slow supercharging. FWIW my battery was cold and SOC was well over 50% so I don't have any other data points to offer. I got a slow charge as expected under those conditions.

Reactions: goneskiian
Just used this site ... battery was cold but saw 72 top rate for little time mostly sub 50....

Not great but maybe it was cold battery ?... $16 , there’s a free site around Seattle just requires more time and luck. .... I’ll go back to .

Well, we have a stall down already. I went back tonight and with 60% SOC and a preconditioned battery, I got ~47kw. I would expect about twice that.

3D353DD2-494F-4CBE-8154-6F0B28A6069C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: DSolie
Did you get a better charge rate on a different pedestal?
I charged yesterday (2B) and today (3A) at different pedestals. Both chargers gave me about the same charge at close to the same SOC but I did get more preconditioning today because yesterday I forgot to set the navigation to the charger until about 5 miles out (today it preconditioned for about 15 miles). I didn’t move around to other chargers either day because other people were there and I wasn’t sharing with anyone on the charger I was on.

We charged our Y there a few hours ago after preconditioning the battery and a lengthy 2 hour drive. The Y sustained a charge rate in the mid-140's KW, which is pretty much the max for a version 2 charger like this. Our state of charge at arrival was about 10%.

I'm guessing that in all your cases where you were not able to see the full charge you expected, there were predictable reasons for it. SOC too high, cold battery, being paired with another charging car, having a throttled battery, not having preconditioned long enough, these could all be reasons. There's probably nothing wrong with the output level of these chargers.

I charged yesterday (2B) and today (3A) at different pedestals. Both chargers gave me about the same charge at close to the same SOC but I did get more preconditioning today because yesterday I forgot to set the navigation to the charger until about 5 miles out (today it preconditioned for about 15 miles). I didn’t move around to other chargers either day because other people were there and I wasn’t sharing with anyone on the charger I was on.
Your original post was confusing, it seemed like you were saying the pedestal you pictured was the slow one you used and because of that it wasn't working. As for your slower than expected charge rate, your battery is still cold, 15 minutes of driving and preconditioning isn't nearly enough to get the battery to optimal temperature.

As for your slower than expected charge rate, your battery is still cold, 15 minutes of driving and preconditioning isn't nearly enough to get the battery to optimal temperature.
That might just be the way things will be for a city charger (slow charging because the battery didn’t have long enough to warm up) unless someone is in the middle of a road trip or stopping for a charge at the end of one. The 35 minutes it took for me to drive the 15 miles, with preconditioning starting as I pulled out of my driveway, wasn’t enough to get much speed of charge.

The Y sustained a charge rate in the mid-140's KW, which is pretty much the max for a version 2 charger like this.
Ok, that's good to read. Given all the lower powered charging sessions, I was sort of starting to wonder whether it had actually been an urban supercharger that just used the traditional style pedestals for some weird reason. But that makes it totally conclusive.