Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sechelt, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Info from Drive Tesla Canada. 12 stalls are coming soon to Tsain Ko Center on the Sunshine Coast Hwy. @Vancity-Tes1a

Sechelt.jpg

A start up the Sunshine Coast! Hope to see a loop up to Powell River, across to Courtenay, and thence south. A great loop - as BCers must now more than I.
I've done that drive twice. And it is great fun as long as you pack your patience for the ferry waits (or have impeccable timing). It isn't really that much driving though so it wouldn't really require much more in the way of charging. I guess a supercharger in Powell River would be nice, but I went from Nanaimo to Vancouver via Powell River without issue in my Tesla a few years ago.

Am I missing something here or does this sound like a mall employee misunderstands the difference between destination chargers and superchargers? 50k residents in the region and sub 500k pre-covid annual tourists (many from overseas) does not a 12 stall supercharger make.

Am I missing something here or does this sound like a mall employee misunderstands the difference between destination chargers and superchargers? 50k residents in the region and sub 500k pre-covid annual tourists (many from overseas) does not a 12 stall supercharger make.
There are a gazillion Teslas in Vancouver and the Sunshine Coast is a popular summer destination. I mean Wyoming has 11 superchargers. They aren't (primarily) intended for Wyoming Tesla owners.

Destination chargers wouldn't make much sense as it's unlikely through travelers would want to spend hours at this mall.

Destination chargers wouldn't make much sense as it's unlikely through travelers would want to spend hours at this mall.
That's just it though, even an SR+ could do the trip to Powell river and back again (or over to the island and back via Nanaimo) without needing a charge or just a small L2 top up to account for passive/sentry drain.

It's effectively an island though. People who are staying in the area for a few days will appreciate the supercharger.
Exactly this. Doing a trip here last summer was a pain because we wanted to road trip all over and check out the region but we could not secure accomodation with charging.

A Sunshine Coast SC means freedom!

You would think Tesla would address the 1500km supercharger gap on the US/Can border before dumping 12 stalls of freedom on a tourist trap.
[emphasis mine]

Some people seem to, but I don't. Many (most?) people understand that they can work on multiple things at once, and there are dozens of factors in SC site selection and priority.

It looks like the mall here offered up the location, so that's always going to help move things along.

That would be a really unusual excavation for a supercharger site. Maybe it's necessary at this location for some reason I can't fathom? But at this point, I am (and will remain) dubious that this is for the chargers.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Could be sandy soil that is super easy to dig, but hard to keep trench walls from collapsing. Also makes easy work for the conduit guys. Since it's in the right location and we're just about to hit peak summer road trip period, I'll take the other side of the bet and say this has to be the supercharger.

Reactions: PStewart
That would be a really unusual excavation for a supercharger site. Maybe it's necessary at this location for some reason I can't fathom? But at this point, I am (and will remain) dubious that this is for the chargers.
Was thinking the same thing. Could be for some non-supercharger EV charging I suppose, but even that seems unlikely.

Drive Tesla Canada published today that construction is under way:

Reactions: J569