Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another pano showing the northern entrance.

The slight elevation rise and the equipment hides the Superchargers as you approach heading south.

Once again you’ll have to zoom.

Attachments

• 46EB14E6-B552-463E-AC6D-2C347F0E6EDD.jpeg
    46EB14E6-B552-463E-AC6D-2C347F0E6EDD.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: SSonnentag
Drat! But better than nothing.

It may be part of a new strategy for Tesla or it may just be due to local power availability. For someplace like Sedona, it makes sense to have slower chargers. Anyone who goes through Sedona going anywhere else is not in a hurry to get there. Most of the use of those chargers will be locals and people who are staying in the area. It's also a laid back town.

It may be part of a new strategy for Tesla or it may just be due to local power availability. For someplace like Sedona, it makes sense to have slower chargers. Anyone who goes through Sedona going anywhere else is not in a hurry to get there. Most of the use of those chargers will be locals and people who are staying in the area. It's also a laid back town.

I'm not saying you are wrong... but I still want to spend the least amount of time on a charger as possible.

I suspect the 72A chargers are aimed at local non-homeowner Model 3 owners. They're the "local gas station" equivalent to get past the "I would buy a Model 3 but can't charge at my apartment" issue. We'll continue to see full speed chargers on main highways. That's what my crystal ball says...

I suspect the 72A chargers are aimed at local non-homeowner Model 3 owners. They're the "local gas station" equivalent to get past the "I would buy a Model 3 but can't charge at my apartment" issue. We'll continue to see full speed chargers on main highways. That's what my crystal ball says...

I think you're mixing charger types. 72A chargers are AC chargers (240V) that are essentially HPWCs. They are given away/sold as destination chargers for people who are going to be parked for a while. They are mostly available now at hotels, but a lot of wineries have put them in too. Even if you're charging at 72A AC, it can take a few hours to charge a low battery at that power.

The urban superchargers are about 1/2 power from the highway superchargers and they charge with DC. They are faster than AC chargers, but slower than the highway chargers. They are mostly putting them into shopping centers where people might park for an hour while they do their grocery shopping.

The highest power AC chargers are around 18 KW, though you can hook an HPWC up to three phase and get a bit better. The urban superchargers are around 75 KW, though the actual rate will vary depending on how many cars are charging and the state of charge of the car.

The cabinets on these chargers is the urban superchargers.

The difference between the "highway" and "urban" style superchargers is slim to none anyway. Also the urban superchargers tend to be located in areas where there is a lot to do (usually food and shopping) so you rarely are finished with whatever you are doing as a diversion before the battery is close to full. Also, thus far, the urban style have been more consistent. A lot of times with the highway style superchargers you get disappointed by the charge rate.

The highway superchargers might be capable of 120kW but often step down quickly as you charge. These urban ones are not connected in pairs and should not slow down because there are other people charging. The net effect of 75kW max should be hardly noticeable in most cases.

Glad to see the charger there and thank you everyone for the updates and pictures.

Reactions: MarkoC