TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Selma, TX

Discussion in 'Texas Supercharger locations' started by brkaus, Aug 4, 2018.

1. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

This was noticed by @Bruce W in a different thread.

Creating in the Texas supercharger specific area.

C20D7C97-AA55-4D75-8010-F1AF0FD6ABB8.png

• Like x 2
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

This may be the HEB in Schertz that had a utility survey for Tesla recently.

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

True. Could be anywhere (if it even happens). Figured the city name Tesla used might be the best start.

4. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Really hoping that this opens before November so that I can use it when I take the family to six flags. If not, I need to figure out another plan, maybe using the SC in san marcos, though that's terribly inefficient coming from Austin.

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Make other plans. No way this will be open by November.

Can you explain how San Marcos is "inefficient"? Because it is too close to Austin? Drive to Fiesta Texas (BTW, if you ask for directions in SA to Six Flags You will end up in Dallas -- it's Fiesta Texas) and stop off in San Marcos on the way back.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Xd85

Xd85 Member

Plan to do the same thing. If you drive really efficiently a 75D can do it without supercharging, but why miss out on the fun? :D

7. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

@BerTX I’m driving from north Austin down to Fiesta Texas. I will have a pretty high SOC by the time I hit San Marcos on the way there. (The inefficiency that I was referring to was charging on the way there, since it’ll be a slow charge.)Then I’m going to park the car all day at the park and then start my drive back. I haven’t done a long trip on the car yet, so I’m a little uneasy of seeing where my SOC is at by the time I hit San Marcos on the way back from Fiesta Texas. I was worried I might not be able to make it all the way back. That’s mainly my ignorance in an X 75D. I haven’t done enough long range driving to get an idea of how far I can go!

8. Xd85

Xd85 Member

or just don't start with a full charge? enough to make it to san marcos with 20-40% SOC would be better on paper. Bear in mind they only have 5 stalls, and last I checked perhaps not all of them reach 100+ kW.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

That isn't a very long trip. Take a few highway trips before then if it will make you feel more comfortable. Leaving from Round Rock, going to the Park, then going to San Marcos should have you arriving with 30% or more SOC -- it's only 150 miles. November can be cooler and you may encounter wind at any time, but that is still a VERY comfortable margin. It should be a good trip to build your experience level and confidence. Use your Energy screen on the main screen, set your destination, and select the "Trip" tab on the Energy screen. It will tell you your level of charge upon arrival IF you continue to drive as you have been driving. If it dips to an uncomfortable level, then slow down and it will come back to a good buffer. It'a amazing how much a fairly small decrease in speed will affect your range.

This trip is more complicated than some, since it has a waypoint in the middle, meaning the in-car Nav can't accurately estimate your SOC upon arriving back at San Marcos on the return leg. This is where the auxiliary routing apps will help you. There are several, the simplest and cheapest being EVTripplanner.com. You can play around with that, but be very careful because it's estimate of range for the MS75D is overly optimistic.

• Like x 1
  10. Xd85

Xd85 Member

@TexasRat Everything @BerTX said. I've driven to Dallas a few times in my MS 75D and have similar quandaries since Italy SC is placed similarly to San Marcos in your situation. Tho OP has Model X, so perhaps that's why the margins are smaller :)

11. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Thanks for all of that info! Sound like I need to make a few trips and see how things go

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I drove from Northwest Hills to the area near Fiesta Texas, and back home with a stop at San Marcos on the way home in my S60, so that should be similar to an X75. Start with a 100% charge. If you're getting nervous about charge on the way from Fiesta Texas to San Marcos, slow down by 5 mph.

• Informative x 1
  13. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

Not really. Let's say you need to charge in San Marcos to 80% before leaving. Would you rather start that charge at 30% or 70%?

• Like x 1
  14. Xd85

Xd85 Member

My bad. Got focused on OPs concern of inefficient charging a high SOC. Agree always start a trip with 100% at home to avoid impact of surprises (wind,rain, elevation effect, etc)

• Like x 2