Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Euroa VIC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless a means of using natural gas as a hydrogen source takes off. Then there would be a real potential to charge up at home overnight.
Taking it further, producing your own gas from sewage could also be viable long term. Sewage farms have been using this form of gas for decades to power various things.

Unless a means of using natural gas as a hydrogen source takes off. Then there would be a real potential to charge up at home overnight.
Taking it further, producing your own gas from sewage could also be viable long term. Sewage farms have been using this form of gas for decades to power various things.

Agree, but why wouldn't you just generate electricity with the methane etc from sewerage and charge the cars up over an existing grid?

Sewage is insufficient. An estimate several years ago was that in the USA, economical production from all sewage + landfill + farm waste could meet about 8% of national NG demand. NG use has increased since then. Not to say that biogas generation is a bad thing; it isn't, and I think it is a necessary part of any sustainable future.

Electrification seems to be the only clear path to sustainability. The technological capability already exists to capture and convert sufficient energy, but humans haven't yet overcome the economic obstacles. Getting lithium batteries down to US$100/kWh would be a huge step in overcoming the economic obstacles.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on how they mine and produce it - although hopefully once mined we will actually start recycling rather than just disposing.

Lithium demand and cost hasn't been sufficient to drive recycling. Yet.

Can someone who's done it let me know if the navigation in the car is accurate with regard to the Euroa supercharger when coming from Melbourne? Do you need to do the loop around the outside road and back down from the north to get to it or can you just drive straight to the service station once you cross back over the Hume from the northbound exit?

The navigation is wrong. You can just take the exit, go over the highway and drive to the service centre. You do need to drive past it then turn left and drive through/around the shell pumps, but it's nothing like what the map shows.

Terrific, thanks Daemon! Google is even worse, it shows you having to go many kms north then doing a U-turn to get back to it southbound!

Take the second exit off the Hume though, not the first one marked to Euroa but the second. As Daemon said take that second exit, turn right and cross the Hume and then through 2 roundabouts and across the petrol station forecourt. Just watch for cars coming on your right there as they exit the southbound Hume to re-fill.

Visited the Euroa Supercharger today and found this new, very welcome signage.

InCarResized_cleaned.jpg
LongShotResized_cleaned.jpg

SignOnlyResized_cleaned.jpg
SignCloseup_cleaned.jpg

Anyone been through or going through today that can confirm all is operational? I assume we probably would have heard if they're not but I'm needing it tomorrow morning for the first time so fingers crossed.

I'm not but I am sure it is. It was working well for the Syd Mel Syd Tesla Superchargers Rally. And I will be passing through there in Saturday week on the way to Melbourne and will be counting on it.

Please let us know if you have any difficulties

Hope it went well. Interested in the numbers around your trip as a fellow S60 driver. Planning trip to Sydney and NSW South coast early next year.

It went really well Barry! South Melbourne to Euroa sitting on speed limit + 5kmh the whole way we used 35.8 kWh. No range mode, aircon on 23 with the outside temp from about 30-35. On the way back it was 33.2 kWh largely due to elevation drop rather than climb. This compared reasonably with EV Trip Planner's estimates which were both a couple of kWh less than what I actually got (using a 1.05 speed multiplier).

We're also doing Sydney and back early next year, may well be on the road together! We're driving up on Jan 10/11 and back on 16/17. PM if you want any further details about this or the Euroa experience.

I charged at the Euroa supercharger a couple of times in recent days, my first time since charging there several times in September and October last year. The charging spots were frequently ICEd back then. There are now Tesla charging only signs in the charging spots which seems (based on my two recent stops) to have made a difference. Neither charging spot was ICEd in my two recent visits. I'm guessing the parking signs have been there for a while now.

Yes the ICEing problem has really been fixed with the signs. Now all I have to deal with is person after person talking to me about the car, its hard to get away in under ½ hour these days

Very interesting - I wonder if signs and bright yellow paint will really fix the ICEing problem. I think there’s a segment of the community that will exploit any free zero-penalty car space regardless of signs, paint or logic. I have a feeling - though I hope I'm wrong - that unless EV charge spaces are physically locked up, it will continue to be an issue. Low cost smart-tag or RFID activated pneumatic or electric bollards may be the only answer.

People talking about the car - I know what you’re saying but I’m happy to engage & promote EV’s of any description. If I’ve got the time I’ll give anyone the sermon. If I don’t have the time, I always apologise profusely about having to rush and direct them here for all the answers. I’m used to stopping & talking at length having ridden Stealth e-bikes for many years…so many people stop me & talk about them and I’m happy to oblige.