Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Shelby, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In January 2017, the State of Iowa submitted a proposal to Electrify America offering sites for level 3 charging stations. Of those, three lined up with Tesla "Coming Soon" pins on the Find Us map: 904 Cardinal Ave in Dows IA (now a Tesla supercharger site), 11 or 12 East Street in Shelby IA, and two sites in Altoona IA. Now we have the following from the minutes of the June 5th meeting of the Shelby City Council:

On motion by Honeywell, 2nd by Schlueter, the recommendation from the Zoning Board to allow the variance request for proposed Tesla Motors charging Station at 12 East Street was approved. Roll call: All ayes; motion carried.

In addition, the convenience store at the site is up for sale with the following included in its on-line sales flier:

Tesla is opening a charging station by November 2018 at this location.

While I can't find the word "supercharger" associated with this project, between a) the involvement of the Zoning Board and the City Council, b) the sales flier promising a charging station coming by November, and c) the Tesla Coming Soon pin it seems very likely that this will in fact be a supercharger.

12 East Street, Shelby IA 51570

Last edited:
OK, anyone with leads on Sioux City, IA. If they're going to build in Shelby, IA, they have to be looking at Sioux City, IA. Shelby, IA to Sioux Falls, SD is 183 miles.

There was a rumor that superchargers were going to be installed at the Hy-Vee in Sioux City last summer or fall. Obviously that didn't happen but Hy-Vee would still be a good first place to check.

Did someone see new activity here? supercharge.info has this under construction now.
Yes it is! photos I found from November 22nd : 4 boxes so 8 stalls
8CABF25C-C91E-47C5-B66D-84A2C032CA71.png
8CB745A4-0BD9-4850-A098-F300D528A39D.png
7DB1F805-D965-49E7-8BB3-A6912AA7DB0E.png

Obviously Shelby was not alone... adding another to my collection.

Yeah, I usually just report them, just thought I'd make mention of the Shelby one in this thread since it *looked* close and the Plugshare entry made it look like it was active, but provided no evidence that it was active.

One day someone will make a trip based on one of these incorrect entries. I wish Plugshare would do more to make it clear that they shouldn't be added (people use workarounds by listing them as destination chargers, or wall outlets, or restricted access locations)

Is the utility transformer on site yet? There's only been 1 picture posted that showed the back-end hardware and the framing made it impossible to tell either way.

The transformer is there and a meter installed on the side of the transformer. It was raining cats and dogs yesterday so I didn't grab any additional pics. There was yellow tape strung through the pedestals that hadn't been there on 12/20.