TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Shelby, IA

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by emupilot, Jun 17, 2018.

1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

#1 emupilot, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    In January 2017, the State of Iowa submitted a proposal to Electrify America offering sites for level 3 charging stations. Of those, three lined up with Tesla "Coming Soon" pins on the Find Us map: 904 Cardinal Ave in Dows IA (now a Tesla supercharger site), 11 or 12 East Street in Shelby IA, and two sites in Altoona IA. Now we have the following from the minutes of the June 5th meeting of the Shelby City Council:

In addition, the convenience store at the site is up for sale with the following included in its on-line sales flier:

While I can't find the word "supercharger" associated with this project, between a) the involvement of the Zoning Board and the City Council, b) the sales flier promising a charging station coming by November, and c) the Tesla Coming Soon pin it seems very likely that this will in fact be a supercharger.

12 East Street, Shelby IA 51570

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 5
  2. kvandivo

kvandivo Member

That's some impressive sleuthing.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

OK, anyone with leads on Sioux City, IA. If they're going to build in Shelby, IA, they have to be looking at Sioux City, IA. Shelby, IA to Sioux Falls, SD is 183 miles.

4. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

There was a rumor that superchargers were going to be installed at the Hy-Vee in Sioux City last summer or fall. Obviously that didn't happen but Hy-Vee would still be a good first place to check.

5. jgillispie

jgillispie Member

Did someone see new activity here? supercharge.info has this under construction now.

• Like x 2
  6. JSergeant

JSergeant Member

Someone reported it directly on the Supercharge.info forum:

Shelby, IA

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

Yes it is! photos I found from November 22nd : 4 boxes so 8 stalls 8CABF25C-C91E-47C5-B66D-84A2C032CA71.png 8CB745A4-0BD9-4850-A098-F300D528A39D.png 7DB1F805-D965-49E7-8BB3-A6912AA7DB0E.png

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  8. FalconHeavy

FalconHeavy Member

Just took this photo and talked to a worker. Said they are just waiting for it to be energized. Getting close!

Attached Files:

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
  9. GleanerC

GleanerC Member

Stopped by and took a look this evening. Nice location east out of Omaha. Still not turned on yet.

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
  10. FalconHeavy

FalconHeavy Member

Looks a lot cleaner than when I was there! Should be any day!

11. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Someone has added this site to Plugshare. Since it hasn't been reported as active in this thread, I've reported the Plugshare location (so they will hopefully remove it soon)

12. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

Obviously Shelby was not alone... adding another to my collection. C91067B1-3221-4639-8E4E-895EBBAF5A46.jpeg

13. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Yeah, I usually just report them, just thought I'd make mention of the Shelby one in this thread since it *looked* close and the Plugshare entry made it look like it was active, but provided no evidence that it was active.

One day someone will make a trip based on one of these incorrect entries. I wish Plugshare would do more to make it clear that they shouldn't be added (people use workarounds by listing them as destination chargers, or wall outlets, or restricted access locations)

14. GleanerC

GleanerC Member

Stopped by again late this afternoon. Appears to be about finished but not turned on yet.

15. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

Is the utility transformer on site yet? There's only been 1 picture posted that showed the back-end hardware and the framing made it impossible to tell either way.

16. GleanerC

GleanerC Member

The transformer is there and a meter installed on the side of the transformer. It was raining cats and dogs yesterday so I didn't grab any additional pics. There was yellow tape strung through the pedestals that hadn't been there on 12/20.

• Like x 4
  17. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

Can Anyone confirm this is up and running yet? I am headed to orange city in a couple days and may make the trip doable if its there. thank you

18. FalconHeavy

FalconHeavy Member

Tesla.com/findus shows that opening has been pushed to "2019" I'm wondering for billing sake with the power utility if it will go live on 1/1.

19. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

Yeah< i dont think I can get from there to Orange city and back anyway... Just have to rent something unfortunately... Summer I would have made it work.

20. Bluebullet

Bluebullet Member

Picture from today:
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2