Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Silverthorne, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week ago, 12/15/19, it was still a big problem. I think it was the three chargers 2,3, and 4 counting out from Starbucks. One guy said one of the chargers hadn’t worked for many months. It seemed a central problem was the chargers sitting on the ground in the snow. The hang up latch is worn down and it barely stays when you’re careful. I assume an average wind would knock them off. PS, a couple pulled into a spot with a regular car as we discussed which ones worked. They seemed unfazed by the attention. Fortunately, they pulled into the broken one. If they’re not going to fix them they should at put up out of order signs. There was a ton of wasted time as each person discovered they were in an out of order stall.
PS. Tesla threatened time charge me for 3minutes after charging complete even though this 3 minutes was finishing conversation about Silverthorne charging. I wouldn’t leave my working spot until I arranged for it to be a Tesla. That means the couple were less rushed with their 30min parking than me.

Yeah Tesla needs to figure this crap out. Maybe after this final quarter proves they can break 100K cars delivered they’ll start moving some resources to the network.

I agree there has to be a better option for hanging the charger. Vegas has tons of broken ones because the latch is worn down and the charger handle has smacked the concrete.

Avoiding Silverthorne

I have an Inno Ski Cargo box and Blizzak tires on my Model 3. It’s a little tight, but with ideal conditions (except cold which is standard in the morning) I was able to get from East Denver, to A-Basin via Loveland pass, back over pass, drop skiers and return home on a single charge. The Distance was 160 miles (approximately using map app) but range used was 210. If you are using snow tires (necessary or you will be in a Loveland Pass snowbank) and a cargo box, and the usual cold weather of parking at A Basin, i would likely need to estimate an additional 35-40% range consumption. With bad weather or worse traffic likely even more. When Loveland Pass is closed, I definitely need Silverthorne even if I need to wait for a slot or skiing might be disturbed by range anxiety. 05B568A6-E112-4FD4-B1BE-707BBD74E601.jpeg

Avoiding Silverthorne

I have an Inno Ski Cargo box and Blizzak tires on my Model 3. It’s a little tight, but with ideal conditions (except cold which is standard in the morning) I was able to get from East Denver, to A-Basin via Loveland pass, back over pass, drop skiers and return home on a single charge. The Distance was 160 miles (approximately using map app) but range used was 210. If you are using snow tires (necessary or you will be in a Loveland Pass snowbank) and a cargo box, and the usual cold weather of parking at A Basin, i would likely need to estimate an additional 35-40% range consumption. With bad weather or worse traffic likely even more. When Loveland Pass is closed, I definitely need Silverthorne even if I need to wait for a slot or skiing might be disturbed by range anxiety. View attachment 493839
I personally assume 40% range loss to and from Denver to ski. I don’t have anything on the roof and Hakkapolita R3 snow tires which are supposed to be low rolling resistance so I’m sure that helps. We did Keystone on Christmas Day and I think left the house at 95% and got back at 38%. I never put it on miles so not sure what that equals.
I have done Beaver creek road trip without charging but got home at a little less than 20% remaining.

Thinking about going from the tech center up to Dillon and back this weekend to visit the ice castle. abetterrouteplanner says I shouldn't have any issues making the trip starting out at 90% SoC, but I'm still a bit nervous about it since I've only had the P3D- for a few days. May stop at the Silverthorne SC, hopefully all these issues have been resolved.

Thinking about going from the tech center up to Dillon and back this weekend to visit the ice castle. abetterrouteplanner says I shouldn't have any issues making the trip starting out at 90% SoC, but I'm still a bit nervous about it since I've only had the P3D- for a few days. May stop at the Silverthorne SC, hopefully all these issues have been resolved.
You should be able to make it but since you will be so close to Silverthorne, you might as well stop to try Supercharging for a few minutes. The nice thing is that once you make it through the tunnel heading east, it's almost all downhill back to the metro area so you'll hardly use any energy for that stretch.

Reactions: Matsayz
You should be able to make it but since you will be so close to Silverthorne, you might as well stop to try Supercharging for a few minutes. The nice thing is that once you make it through the tunnel heading east, it's almost all downhill back to the metro area so you'll hardly use any energy for that stretch.
Agree with @MorrisonHiker you should be fine but the SC is right there. Definitely put the SC as your destination and stop on your way west. If it’s below freezing don’t be surprised if you are only get 40-50KW even with a warm battery. I don’t know about others but I got 90+ in the summer and have never cracked 70 in the winter.

@runelind
I went to Breck yesterday. Left my house at 94% and got home at 27%. The car sat in the cold for five hours while I snowboarded and I had the heat on 73 the whole way.
I typically use 5-6KW from Silverthorne to the tunnel and the 4-5KW the rest of the way home.
For fun reset the trip A when you come out of the tunnel and see how far you get before the energy used is no longer a negative number.

We tried to drive the Tesla to Steamboat Springs this evening, but I70 was a parking lot, and I think Rabbit Ears Pass was closed.
Before turning around near Georgetown, I saw that 3/8 chargers would be available in Silverthorne if not for the parking lot between us. I’m wondering if Silverthorne was actually packed with 3/8 chargers dysfunctional or Ice’d. Every street in Georgetown was full of wandering cars.

I definitely see a spike in broken stalls at superchargers since the Model 3 has been on the streets in large numbers. Not that they cause damage, just the superchargers are being used far more and thus problems occur far more often. I have a few superchargers I go to regularly and they have broken stalls almost all the time. I see them getting fixed by Tesla service people and just a week later there are stalls not working again.

It's simply a part of the deterioration in Tesla's customer service over the last 2-3 years.

That is probably another contributing factor. They really have dialed back on anything related to service. Not having any way to talk to someone when you have an issue with a supercharger station is really messed up. Every other charging network provider has a number you can call and a person to talk to.

Reactions: Barry and KJD
Was driving through this supercharger today and had all 8 spots full. Interestingly there's a ton of construction on the north side of the lot that looks like new EV charging stalls being setup. Didn't take a photo but may be an expansion underway?

Interesting! I think an expansion has been rumored there for a while, but it wasn’t clear if there was really enough space to allow it. Did it look like they were using existing parking spaces for the expansion or making new ones?

Interesting! I think an expansion has been rumored there for a while, but it wasn’t clear if there was really enough space to allow it. Did it look like they were using existing parking spaces for the expansion or making new ones?

Not sure if there were spots there before - but they have pedestals and conduit laying across the lot entrance on the north now. It didn't look like any new pavement... Should have taken a pic! I saw the crew working there but didn't realize what it was until I was leaving the lot.

Reactions: CO_MY
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: smartypnz