Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Simi Valley, CA - Tierra Rejada Rd. (LIVE 22 Sep 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick update. First Supercharger was placed today. Very exciting.
IMG_4563.jpeg

Is it true that newly open superchargers are free for about a month?
Not really. It has been true that if the supercharger is operational, but not yet listed in the car's navigation system or on Tesla's web map, then people might get free charging sessions until the site is added and those systems updated. How long this period lasts isn't some set time, though. And this doesn't necessarily happen at all with every new station. What's more, sometimes people were retroactively charged for earlier sessions they thought had been free. Tesla has lately changed/improved their processes for updating their systems to show new locations, so it's less regular for there to be a significant wait between a supercharger being commissioned/operational and when it gets listed in Tesla's system. In fact, in some recent cases, Tesla has added the stations to their systems before the superchargers were operational at all and then just listed the location as "Temporarily Closed".

All of this to say, it sometimes happens that a newly opened supercharger may give free charging sessions for a (usually) short period of time between activation and Tesla's system being updated, but there's no guarantee that they will or that the free charging session will stay free forever (i.e. you might get billed retroactively).

I always figured there was a 'trial' period at first where the units were tested at a lower rate and slowly brought up to full capacity. During this phase there were no charges (money). After units were 'certified' and then listed on the Tesla system as operational, the charging began.

Reactions: wildguess
I always figured there was a 'trial' period at first where the units were tested at a lower rate and slowly brought up to full capacity. During this phase there were no charges (money). After units were 'certified' and then listed on the Tesla system as operational, the charging began.
I just checked my payment history.
E Katella Ave supercharger was opened on 12/24/2019.
I brought my car there several times and was charged only 4 out of 6 times.

02/xx/2020 $9.xx
02/23/2020 No Charge $0.00
02/xx/2020 $8.xx01/xx/2020 $8.xx
01/01/2020 No Charge $0.00
12/xx/2019 $5.xx

• Informative
Reactions: smartypnz
Should look something like this image attached. Typically painted green in Southern California. I have seen them beige in Arizona. Transformer installation is usually one of the final installs before the site is energized.

Attachments

• CSE1503_MAG_PP_FTRANSFORMER_Fig1_485x350.jpg
    CSE1503_MAG_PP_FTRANSFORMER_Fig1_485x350.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 82