Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Skokie IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a bit of recent discussion in another thread ( Supercharger - Chicago, IL (Lincoln Park) ) about the fact that "Skokie IL" was listed as "opening soon" on Tesla's map but there was no location spotted by community members.

There was a bit of speculation it would be at the existing Tesla store in the area but today an "under construction" location popped up on supercharge.info, at another location. So I thought I'd make a thread for it!

Red marker indicates the store location - it's about 6 miles / 9.5 km away.

upload_2018-1-1_11-12-32.png

Looked this up and saw this was down the street from my former relatives. Haven't been back there for many years and the area has changed a lot with the new shopping center. Nice area in general. From the photos I'd say it's near Touhy Ave but really more off Carpenter Rd in the parking lot behind Shallots Bistro sushi place & Anytime Fitness and kitty-corner from Buffalo Wild Wings (based on last photo). AMC theater must be just down from Buffalo Wild Wings in the photo. You can see the street light in the last photo and match it to the shadow of the street light in the map below. Given that the health club appears to be sharing that parking lot, hopefully the spaces won't get iced all the time.

skokieSC - 1.jpg

So back to the superchargers I haven't seen any that look like this during construction out in my area. Would these be the new lower profile urban chargers then?

Last edited:
This location is a few minutes from my house. I’ll keep an eye on the construction and will keep this group updated on progress. It’s a great location for chargers—highway is close and the Village Crossing area has all kinds of stores, food options, and a movie theatre.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and Chuq
This is about a mile away from my work; I eat at that BWW almost weekly. Can't believe I never saw this. The trees and fence block most of the view from the other lot and road. I've also never seen a car in that middle section of the parking lot.

Did a more detailed check on this site today. This is a 20 stall installation. It looks like the electrical has been completed mostly but the equipment still needs fencing put up and there is landscaping that needs done at one end. The only uncovered sign said Tesla parking only.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and Chuq
Are you referring to Hammer's post? If so, I think the chargers are in those pictures. Looks like they are the smaller urban chargers.

Yes, the urban chargers I've seen in photos look like these, kind of tall and cylindrical: Tesla unveils new ‘urban’ Supercharger with a slower dedicated charge rate

Now that I'm blowing up the photo I think I can see the scooped black/white bottom design under the black plastic covers. They appear shorter in the photo than I somehow imagined. The plain poles must be for the Tesla signage. Looks like 9 back in and 1 pull in spots from the photo. Wonder where the other 10 will be.

Last edited:
I could only count 9 + 9 tonight.

Ah, I should have realized that the transformer equipment is situated in the middle and will undoubtedly be enclosed, with 10 on each side. If you look at Hammer's 3rd photo (chargers are to the right of the transformers) you can see one charger separated from the rest in the photo. That would be the pull in stall and I'm betting there's a total of 10 on the left side of the transformers (just not visible in any photos I can see), giving it 10 + 10.

Reactions: jgillispie
Ah, I should have realized that the transformer equipment is situated in the middle and will undoubtedly be enclosed, with 10 on each side. If you look at Hammer's 3rd photo (chargers are to the right of the transformers) you can see one charger separated from the rest in the photo. That would be the pull in stall and I'm betting there's a total of 10 on the left side of the transformers (just not visible in any photos I can see), giving it 10 + 10.

Yep, I believe there's two pull-in stalls. The trashbin on the first photo blocks the pull-in stall on that side. I was thinking these are the urban chargers as they looked different in shape than the standard ones.

Not sure about two pull in stalls. On the row of chargers on the left side of the transformers if the charger was mirroring the same position as the one on the right side of the equipment, the charge port would be on the left side of a car pulling in, while the charger and "hose" would be on the right side--kind of awkward and wouldn't want to scratch the car. So I'm thinking it would make more sense to have this be a back in as well as the other 9 there. Sure we'll get more photos soon. I am interested to see the chargers uncovered. Sounds like a nice charging location and first urban chargers for me.

Last edited:
I had a feeling they would try and get this done (less Tesla check) this week while the temps are high; up to ~50F on Thursday. Sure enough I drove by today and there was a crew out running a bunch of cabling between the equipment. Pretty sure this is the first work done since before Xmas.

Not sure about two pull in stalls. On the row of chargers on the left side of the transformers if the charger was mirroring the same position as the one on the right side of the equipment, the charge port would be on the left side of a car pulling in, while the charger and "hose" would be on the right side--kind of awkward and wouldn't want to scratch the car. So I'm thinking it would make more sense to have this be a back in as well as the other 9 there. Sure we'll get more photos soon. I am interested to see the chargers uncovered. Sounds like a nice charging location and first urban chargers for me.

The left pull-in stall is not in the middle mirroring the other; it's at the far end of the left side hidden by the green garbage bin in the one picture.

Reactions: SMAlset
Here are some pictures I got today.

Attachments

• PANO_20180108_153345.jpg
    PANO_20180108_153345.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180108_153337.jpg
    IMG_20180108_153337.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20180108_153325.jpg
    IMG_20180108_153325.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20180108_153308.jpg
    IMG_20180108_153308.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: SMAlset
I had a feeling they would try and get this done (less Tesla check) this week while the temps are high; up to ~50F on Thursday. Sure enough I drove by today and there was a crew out running a bunch of cabling between the equipment. Pretty sure this is the first work done since before Xmas.
You would be correct. Outside temperatures have been consistently in low teens or single digit which is lower than the tolerance for pulling the conductors. Besides becoming very rigid and making it difficult to work with, there is risk of damaging the outer insulation.

• Informative
Reactions: jgillispie