Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Skowhegan, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Town of Skowhegan, Regular Selectmen's Meeting, 2018-10-09[pdf]
The Tesla car company is putting in eight charging stations at Hannaford.
Skowhegan EDC Regular/Planning Meeting, 2019-05-01[pdf] Re: Electric Car Charging Stations
--We do already have a charging station that will be in the Hannaford Parking lot that is for Tesla.
--The Planning Board has approved the Tesla Charging Station at Hannaford and that should be starting soon
What: New 8 stall supercharger to be installed at Hannaford Supermarket. Already has Planning Board approval, but no news on building permits.
Where: 496 Madison Ave, Skowhegan, ME 04976
GPS (guess): 44.779841, -69.728110 (but really, it could go in lots of possible places in the very large lot)

Unsurprisingly, given their prior hosting of Tesla superchargers, this one will go at the Hannaford at the fairground marketplace. I recall from reading in other Maine supercharger threads that this was pretty much what everyone was expecting. Assuming the info in the later Economic Development Corp. meeting was accurate, the fact it had already received planning approval at the end of April means it might still have a chance to get built in this calendar year.

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

I don't generally have much (or any) reason to visit Skowvegas (I generally travel in the opposite direction), but I can check this one out.

I note the mention in the meeting notes of other charging stations related to the electric corridor planned to go up US-201 to Quebec.

I won't have much reason to visit until it's open. But this will open up some of the "wild frontier" of northern Maine for day trips.

Will help open up the Sugarloaf, ME area for people who think that winter isn't cold and snowy enough already, as well as other outdoor areas.

If Tesla is also talking to Jackman (see the West Forks thread), this and Jackman, ME would open up the US-201 route to/from Quebec as well.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Will help open up the Sugarloaf, ME area for people who think that winter isn't cold and snowy enough already, as well as other outdoor areas.

If Tesla is also talking to Jackman (see the West Forks thread), this and Jackman, ME would open up the US-201 route to/from Quebec as well.

We have a place in Norway, about 1/2 hour south of Bethel (which is still awaiting construction). With this one and Bethel online, I won't have any issues going off into the wilderness......except for all the dirt roads up there.

But we'll DEFINITELY be all set in a few years when the wife gets the pickup. :D

Reactions: chjch
We have a place in Norway, about 1/2 hour south of Bethel (which is still awaiting construction). With this one and Bethel online, I won't have any issues going off into the wilderness......except for all the dirt roads up there.

But we'll DEFINITELY be all set in a few years when the wife gets the pickup. :D

LOL.

I'd also note that Jackman, ME will be close to the center of the April 8th 2024 solar eclipse path.

I definitely am eager for this one as then I can get to Bangor from Magog without a super long charge or having to go slow or having to go to Augusta.

I assume you know this, so this post is mostly for the interest of others who have never driven this route and might be nervous based on your post.

You definitely do NOT need to go slow or to Augusta to get from Magog to Brewer in the summer, unless you're driving Leaf or something.

In the summer, even with a Model S 75D, it is easy to get FROM Magog to Brewer--it's downhill after you get into Maine. I just did it a few weeks ago (and a few other times in the past) and the 352 km shortest route (highway 27) left me with about 160 km of theoretical range left in the battery when I got to Brewer. There was no real need to charge fully before leaving Magog.

This is despite the fact that there is a significant uphill portion from Magog to the US border (from about 735 feet elevation to around 2,000 feet elevation at one point). This is because Brewer is barely above sea level (141 feet) so the net downhill is 600 feet.

Going Brewer to Magog is a different story with the greater uphill on the way up to the US border and into Canada.

And, of course, the winter is a different beast with winter tires, snow on the road, and cold temperatures.

So Skowhegan would be a welcome stop on this route for those of us that like to cut 100km off the trip (and add only 10 minutes) from Montreal to Moncton by going through Maine.

Magog to Brewer: 352 km
Magog to Skowhegan: 261 km <--doable even in the winter.

Skowhegan, ME

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-2, US-201
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-2:
To: Brewer, ME (US-2, I-95, I-395, US-1A) - 56.7 miles

To: Baileyville, ME (Construction) (US-2, I-95, I-395, ME-9) - 142.6 miles

US-201:
To: Levis, QC (US-201, QC-173, QC-73) - 172.5 miles

From: Magog, QC (QC-10, QC-610, QC-112, QC-253, QC-212, QC-161, ME-27, ME-16, US-201A, local, US-201) - 161.9 miles

Tesla owners of Quebec City, QC will now find it a bit easier to get down to Old Orchard Beach, ME.

Being within good range from Magog, QC, this also helps build a shorter route from Montreal, QC across to Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

This will be another Hannaford-hosted Supercharger.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EdA
I assume you know this, so this post is mostly for the interest of others who have never driven this route and might be nervous based on your post.

You definitely do NOT need to go slow or to Augusta to get from Magog to Brewer in the summer, unless you're driving Leaf or something.

In the summer, even with a Model S 75D, it is easy to get FROM Magog to Brewer--it's downhill after you get into Maine. I just did it a few weeks ago (and a few other times in the past) and the 352 km shortest route (highway 27) left me with about 160 km of theoretical range left in the battery when I got to Brewer. There was no real need to charge fully before leaving Magog.

This is despite the fact that there is a significant uphill portion from Magog to the US border (from about 735 feet elevation to around 2,000 feet elevation at one point). This is because Brewer is barely above sea level (141 feet) so the net downhill is 600 feet.

Going Brewer to Magog is a different story with the greater uphill on the way up to the US border and into Canada.

And, of course, the winter is a different beast with winter tires, snow on the road, and cold temperatures.

So Skowhegan would be a welcome stop on this route for those of us that like to cut 100km off the trip (and add only 10 minutes) from Montreal to Moncton by going through Maine.

Magog to Brewer: 352 km
Magog to Skowhegan: 261 km <--doable even in the winter.

So yes I should have given more detail. In the car with nothing being towed or on the roof in the summer I can make that run and I have Once. As soon as we have the snow tires on or the temp drops or I am towing or hauling stuff on the roof I have to slow down or slow charge or do Augusta. I have been doing this run for years. Before Magog and Brewer were in. Plus my range has dropped over the years. All in all this will be welcome for me when hauling stuff or towing or the colder temps.

Efficiency Maine VW Settlement CCS/CHAdeMO units are apparently being installed at this location as well. Someone added them as "Coming Soon" on Plugshare with the mention that Tesla Superchargers are also installed [past tense].

No picture provided as verification.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Yes. The user also sent me the document in which it is all mentioned: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/Electric_Vehicle_Supply_Equipment_Working_Plan.pdf

In there, it is mentioned that there will be some fast chargers at the W. Gardiner Service Plaza. This would seem like a good place for Superchargers. Thoughts?

Yes. The user also sent me the document in which it is all mentioned: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/Electric_Vehicle_Supply_Equipment_Working_Plan.pdf

Did he add these units to Plugshare based on documents or on seeing installation in progress?

In there, it is mentioned that there will be some fast chargers at the W. Gardiner Service Plaza. This would seem like a good place for Superchargers. Thoughts?

Discussed in Supercharger - Augusta ME

The consensus is that there will not be Superchargers going in there anytime soon.

Skowhegan is under construction. Photos by Scott on PlugShare. 8 Superchargers, 2 DCFCs and 2 J1772s on site

6F259A79-1F1C-4F37-A0DE-A11723079775.jpeg
92C398FB-DEFE-448B-9AFB-CDC12BAAEBD9.jpeg

Green pin is where the Superchargers are located.
ACFFAC8D-39A0-4669-B322-15980FFD6BF5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: