Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Slowness AP1 2014 85Kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a few threads on this issue already, however many of those never seemed to get to a resolution. Anyone happen to have had their car fixed where supercharging speeds are returned back to acceptable levels?

Below are my supercharging speeds when the car was a few years old, and then the ones below it are the current speeds as of 3 months ago or so. I brought this issue Tesla almost a year ago now, and then multiple times thoughout the year each time they look at it they say its 'ok' however it seems to taper way to fast imo.

Before:
upload_2020-6-9_23-2-0.png

upload_2020-6-9_23-1-0.png

upload_2020-6-9_23-1-34.png

Now:

upload_2020-6-9_23-2-48.png

upload_2020-6-9_23-3-2.png

upload_2020-6-9_23-3-44.png

upload_2020-6-9_23-4-0.png

There is indeed no known or reported solution currently.
When road assist came by a couple of weeks back, I asked about it and his reply was to acknowledge the slowed down speed, to reckon that it also bother them road assistant tech (he was driving a older 85 too), and all he knew was that “they are working on a software solution but don’t know when it will be available”.

It is what it is, I’m also waiting on the restore of the SuC speed.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
When road assist came by a couple of weeks back, I asked about it and his reply was to acknowledge the slowed down speed, to reckon that it also bother them road assistant tech (he was driving a older 85 too), and all he knew was that “they are working on a software solution but don’t know when it will be available”.

It is what it is, I’m also waiting on the restore of the SuC speed.

Sucks here is no real solution besides wait on a update. It seems to me this should be a warranty issue on the battery.

When I first brought this up I had the A/C compressor, loovers, RCCM and other parts to be replaced since that was the 'problem' . Turns out that didnt help at all however. I feel like I have ran this up he chain quite a bit at Tesla, are there really any other options at this point? Seems like with the numbers of cars this has impacted might make sense to collectively try to address this with Tesla?

This is #chargegate there is no solution. Please don’t buy another Tesla, that would send the message that this was OK.

Realistically if I bought a new one, they would just offload my current one to someone else who would inherit the problem compounding the issue. I really have no plans to upgrade this car, however with the way service has been recently I would second guess any additional purchases. Do you have a car impacted by this?

Reactions: InternetDude
It seems to me this should be a warranty issue on the battery.
:rolleyes: Uh, no. It is because of warranty concerns that they did this and are going way overboard cautious to try to avoid failures that would be warranty claims.

There were a couple of spontaneous fires in China while cars were just sitting from some kind of internal overheating runaway. They rolled out these software changes to address it in several ways--slowing charging speeds, running cooling systems for massive amounts of time while the cars are just sitting in people's garages, etc. They went to some huge measures to prevent any more of those from happening so they didn't turn into a big news story and corporate black eye.

So they are keeping the batteries working under a much more constrained "ultra safety" kind of mode. Therefore it's certainly not a warranty claim.

:rolleyes: Uh, no. It is because of warranty concerns that they did this and are going way overboard cautious to try to avoid failures that would be warranty claims.

There were a couple of spontaneous fires in China while cars were just sitting from some kind of internal overheating runaway. They rolled out these software changes to address it in several ways--slowing charging speeds, running cooling systems for massive amounts of time while the cars are just sitting in people's garages, etc. They went to some huge measures to prevent any more of those from happening so they didn't turn into a big news story and corporate black eye.

So they are keeping the batteries working under a much more constrained "ultra safety" kind of mode. Therefore it's certainly not a warranty claim.

I completely disagree with this statement. If I sold you a product, then had to slow it down to 50% of its advertised/sold as speed so it doesn't blow up that is for sure a warranty claim.

I completely disagree with this statement. If I sold you a product, then had to slow it down to 50% of its advertised/sold as speed so it doesn't blow up that is for sure a warranty claim.
There’s a 600 page thread for that where you’ll find plenty of like-minded banter.

Unfortunately, as to the answer to your original question, there’s really literally nothing you can do. This was a deliberate decision by Tesla.

Reactions: sorka and Majerus
That's utter nonsense. A warranty agreement is a legal agreement. The wording is about the device continuing to function, not about how fast it will charge. There have been many devices and pieces of equipment in many different industries, where they have had to slow the performance some to keep them from having a too high failure rate.

• Disagree
Reactions: AmpedRealtor

My software solution was to stay on v8. I still get 74KW at 54% at 114K miles....same as when it was new.

Reactions: lightningltd
That's utter nonsense. A warranty agreement is a legal agreement. The wording is about the device continuing to function, not about how fast it will charge. There have been many devices and pieces of equipment in many different industries, where they have had to slow the performance some to keep them from having a too high failure rate.

Older 85s from 2013 (not the A pack) went hundreds of thousands of miles without losing supercharger speed before their packs had to be replaced. Tesla artificially lowered charging speed to extend battery life so they can avoid having to replace packs before the 8 year warranty is up. Newer 85s that have stayed up to date on software never had the same length of benefit in being able to charge quickly and move onto the next supercharger. Even worse, Tesla is capping the range by preventing the batteries from fully charging.

So glad I'm still on V8...and no it absolutely doesn't void my warranty to stay on that version.

Reactions: lightningltd
Older 85s from 2013 (not the A pack) went hundreds of thousands of miles without losing supercharger speed before their packs had to be replaced. Tesla artificially lowered charging speed to extend battery life so they can avoid having to replace packs before the 8 year warranty is up. Newer 85s that have stayed up to date on software never had the same length of benefit in being able to charge quickly and move onto the next supercharger. Even worse, Tesla is capping the range by preventing the batteries from fully charging.

So glad I'm still on V8...and no it absolutely doesn't void my warranty to stay on that version.

Also tried to get a downgrade, however the service center wouldnt do it. I wanted to do it to show that was the problem. Additionally It would have fixed the jacked up ap.