Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Smithfield, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the design would be similar, but remember that those were all retrofitted. I'm suggesting that there might be a new design that makes a later retrofit much easier. Just to push the theory a bit more, I wonder what kind of connector the Model Y will have. Now that Tesla has bit the bullet by having a "standard' CCS connector on European Model 3's, what do you think the probability that the Model Y might have a CCS connector worldwide (maybe not including China)?

Two key reasons why they changed Europe:
1) Laws were making it harder to use their proprietary plug.
2) AC charging in Europe/Australia/New Zealand was already Type 2 so the switchover wouldn't affect home and destination charging.

Reactions: SigNC

Two key reasons why they changed Europe:
1) Laws were making it harder to use their proprietary plug.
2) AC charging in Europe/Australia/New Zealand was already Type 2 so the switchover wouldn't affect home and destination charging.

Not disagreeing with that at all.

But given that they've now made the change and did the engineering work both in the Model 3 itself and the Supercharger pedestals, maybe Tesla, and the rest of the industry in terms of charging network maturity, has reached they point where they feel that maybe it's time to start transitioning away from its proprietary connector, possibly on the Model Y. Only speculation, mind you...

Not disagreeing with that at all.

But given that they've now made the change and did the engineering work both in the Model 3 itself and the Supercharger pedestals, maybe Tesla, and the rest of the industry in terms of charging network maturity, has reached they point where they feel that maybe it's time to start transitioning away from its proprietary connector, possibly on the Model Y. Only speculation, mind you...

The connector would be CCS Type 1 for North America.
They'd have to update all of the Supercharger sites in North America.
_Plus_ all existing North American Tesla EVSEs and destination chargers would be unusable for the Model Y and all new ones would be unusable for existing Model S, Model X and Model 3.

Things people don't say:
"Other North American charging networks are so much better than Tesla."
"Market share in the North American BEV market is really spread out amongst manufacturers."

IMG_20191005_073100.jpg
IMG_20191005_073408.jpg
IMG_20191005_073422.jpg
Verified, supercharging now at 139kW on stall 1A

IMG_20191007_101826.jpg
Charging again today, getting 145 kW charging so pretty good. All the superchargers were ICE'd and the staff and Pepsi driver were nice enough to move to let me charge, good thing as I want to avoid the Rocky Mount supercharger on my way home to Pennsylvania. Great location at a Sheetz right off I95, Panera is next door along with Waffle House nearby and a Checkers and Ruby Tuesday.

We travel up and down I-95 a lot. Good location probably an 1/8 of a mile off the exit ramp located in a Sheetz. Much more convenient and more facilities than Rocky Mount, NC. The stalls are very close to the store so chances are some will get ICED. Saw a few ICED not in protest or anything like that just folks a bit in a fog from driving not understanding they were blocking fuel pumps. If and when the public starts thinking of them as gas pumps they probably won’t park there. My only advice to Tesla, put chargers as far away from the front door of a business as possible.

If you look at what the signs say at this location you'll notice that half of them are for "10 minute general parking" and the other half are for Tesla use only. That's fairly common at the Sheetz locations...and frankly, I have no issues with that type of setup.

There were two big trucks parked across all the parking spots when I got there, was the regular delivery trucks from Pepsi and some other company supplying the Sheetz store with their products. They were very nice to move one of their vehicles to open up two of the Supercharger spots so I could charge but they wouldn't open up all of them. I don't think people understand what they are for and basically ignore them. At many Sheetz supercharger sites I see people parking in them, sometimes taking up two spots, not necessarily in protest of Tesla or EVs but out of sheer ignorance. It's the south, it's kinda how things are.

Yeah, showing up on abetterrouteplanner as well and PlugShare too. While I was enroute to NC, it showed-up mid-route, and after re-routing I was able to bypass the Rocky Mount SC and per-condition the battery finally for the Smithfield charger. Fully installed and supported by Tesla, awesome news.

Just charged at this location today, all of the stalls were available to be used and not ICE'd and no Pepsi trucks blocking it. I had someone in a pickup truck ask me if "the gas was free at those pumps" as he had a big smile on his face. Fast charging on my old 90D v1 battery pack peaked about 103 kW @ 55ish SOC then trickled down as the battery charged.

Reactions: SigNC
Just a quick update for 2021. The place hasn't changed much since the 1st time I was here over a year ago besides the fact it has gotten busier! Went twice today and all 8 spots were full of Tesla cars! Did some shopping and came back a few hours later and it was about half full. No wonder they built the Goldsboro SC since there are only going to be more and more Tesla car on the road over the next few years.

Sheetz did add windshield squeegee bins every other charging spot but someone had used one of them as a trash bin :mad:

I spoke with someone who parked and then ran across the highway and picked up some Zaxby's chicken and came back quickly. I was curious how he got so much food so fast and he said he ordered online (or the app?) so it was ready for him to pickup as soon as he got there. Seems awfully convenient if you want something other than the Sheetz food so you might try that as a 'pro-tip'.