Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Snoqualmie, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I spoke with the Mayor of Snoqualmie and asked him if he knew where the supercharger location in Snoqualmie, WA (25 miles east of Seattle) would be placed. I assumed it would likely be at the new Safeway that is going in or at the new hotel nearby, he said that it will be located within the Safeway parking lot. I am an early model 3 reservation holder and live in a detached condo without a driveway or garage and likely won't be moving until next year, so this location 5 minutes from home allows me to make this work fairly easily!

I drive from Cle Elum to Snoqualmie as a commute every day in my P85. While I can make the round trip without charging, it would be nice to have a Supercharger here in case I do a lot of west-side city driving before heading back home to Cle Elum. I looked at the parking lot of the new Safeway and while there is some new construction for a gas station going on, I don't see a convenient place where Tesla could put the large charger equipment cabinets (and surrounding security fence) for the Superchargers stalls themselves. There are some places in the (rather smallish) parking lot for actual stalls. Maybe they will put the equipment in the area that is currently closed off for the gas station build (I circled the potential supercharger area in a planning picture I found online of the Safeway lot.)

Attachments

• Snoqualmie Supercharger.png
    Snoqualmie Supercharger.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
Looks like the Supercharger will be in Issaquah, not Snoqualmie. See the attached screen capture from supercharge.info. I've gone by the construction site, there were Tesla-branded large equipment crates there. My guess is at least 4 weeks until completion (Christmas.)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    254.8 KB · Views: 89
Looks like the Supercharger will be in Issaquah, not Snoqualmie. See the attached screen capture from supercharge.info. I've gone by the construction site, there were Tesla-branded large equipment crates there. My guess is at least 4 weeks until completion (Christmas.)
It does seem unlikely at this stage of SC build out that Tesla would put two installations this close together without other main highways around.

Perhaps when Issaquah goes live and the Tesla SC map is updated we will have more information -- if the Snoqualmie dot disappears and the Issaquah dot takes it's place as an active SC, we'll know.

It does seem unlikely at this stage of SC build out that Tesla would put two installations this close together without other main highways around.

Based on Issaquah SC thread, it looks like there will be only 8 urban chargers - which would not be sufficient to handle peak traffic[1]. I think Snoqualmie SC will also have small/fair number of chargers to handle cross Cascades traffic.

[1]: it's major waypoint to 2 popular ski areas in Cascades. It's also heading for Sunrise at Mt Rainer National Park

Based on Issaquah SC thread, it looks like there will be only 8 urban chargers - which would not be sufficient to handle peak traffic[1]. I think Snoqualmie SC will also have small/fair number of chargers to handle cross Cascades traffic.

[1]: it's major waypoint to 2 popular ski areas in Cascades. It's also heading for Sunrise at Mt Rainer National Park
Who exactly would be going through Snoqualmie to get to Sunrise?

This is an even stranger path than your route to Whistler via Surrey.

Reactions: alpacadom
Who exactly would be going through Snoqualmie to get to Sunrise?

This is an even stranger path than your route to Whistler via Surrey.

I meant... Sunrise traffic will still use Issaquah SC, but cross Cascades traffic needn't stop by there.

without Snoqualmie SC, Issaquah will handle Sunrise + Crystal Mountain + Snoqualmie + Cross Cascades
with Snoqualmie SC, Issaquah will only handle Sunrise + Crystal Mountain

Darn, I was hoping for real information on the Snoqualmie SC. Anyway, this is a great location, nearby the intersection of 18 (south to Tacoma, a road I just used today and would have stopped to use the SC if open). Also, North Bend and Snoqualmie are near highway 203, a great cutoff route north, skipping all the I-405 traffic. I use both of these routes on my travels from eastern WA, so that I miss the interstate traffic. I hope this one is added soon, and in North Bend, not Snoqualmie.

Even with the recent addition of the Issuquah Supercharger, and now the Cle Elum one, the official Tesla map still notes one coming to Snoqualmie. With the comment from Elon that they "plan to double supercharger capacity in 2019," I'm still holding out hope that we get one in the area - even though it clearly won't be "coming in 2018" as targeted. The Ridge Safeway is not immediately convenient from I-90 but I think it would be a good location for one in the long run.

Screenshot from 2018-12-10 15-07-51.png

If I could site a location near Snoqualmie I wouldn't actually put it in Snoqualmie I would put it in North Bend between Shell and Los Cabos.

There is a Starbucks, 4-5 fast food restaurants, the outlet mall across the street and it's practically on the freeway. And the lot behind the shell is far enough away to avoid being ICEd while still be easily accessible to everything. They would need to add though a sidewalk across the "creek" to Safeway.

I definitely wouldn't complain about having one in North Bend as that's where I live - nice in a pinch to have one locally. The area you suggest is definitely not a bad place with all the local shops and food especially as "the last big stop" before going over Snoqualmie Pass. I'd guess the Snoqualmie location is likely to resemble the one in Issaquah, which I believe are the Urban style chargers at only 75kw each, and appear to cater more to locals than they do drivers on trips. I only say this because of the housing density on the Ridge and Safeway's distance from the arterial roads. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Tesla ends up dispersing the Urban and Superchargers.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy