Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Somerset, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Yobig, sent him Newscutter's money shot...we were the first car to charge at Somerset besides the Tesla test vehicle.

u5e9y7un.jpg

The Must-Do Detour:

Regardless of which direction you are headed on the PA Turnpike, do yourselves the favor of getting off from Bedford to Somerset (or vice versa). This is the leg of the Supercharger Highway between Hagerstown, MD and Somerset, PA. Basically you're going to divert on the old Lincoln Highway (Route 30) and follow that instead of the boring old Turnpike.
Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 44624 PM.bmp.jpg

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 34812 PM.bmp.jpg

The detour will add only about 5 miles to your trip-- but you will be climbing a sizable mountain so allow for maybe 15 miles additional range to be used. Additional driving time will vary depending on whether or not you stop for pictures or to see the Flight 93 Memorial itself.

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55105 PM.bmp.jpg

The Memorial is well off the main road in a newly constructed park, there is really nothing to see without exiting your car and walking to the crash site. Once there, it is quiet and difficult to imagine a huge jet-- inverted and traveling at 563 mph-- shattering this otherwise windswept hilltop.

Other cool sights are marked on the map-- and include a really cool Barn Mural of how road trips USED to be done, an breathtaking overlook/view from the mountaintop, and a windmill farm you'll LITERALLY drive right through the middle of. Quite a few photo opportunities for such a short detour!

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55017 PM.bmp.jpg

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55026 PM.bmp.jpg

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55509 PM.bmp.jpg

Please note!
Westbound drivers will have the best chance of not missing the Barn Mural while Eastbound drivers have the best chance of not missing the Overlook (it is very small!) These two sights are easy to whoosh past if you're not paying close attention!

I'm including some pictures here to give you an idea of what you're looking for and will be writing this up on my blog in the next week or so-- with many more pictures and details.

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55052 PM.bmp.jpg

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55123 PM.bmp.jpg

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55523 PM.bmp.jpg

If you need to really stretch your legs, walk the trail around the lake at Shawnee State Park (right near the Barn Mural). The park is gorgeous and has a sand beach, canoes and sailboats to rent, etc.

Chrome Legacy Window 7152014 55144 PM.bmp.jpg

Would love to see all folks make a little time to enjoy our Pennsylvania scenery and post your own pictures here! Enjoy!

UPDATE: As was pointed out to me by several people-- the area I marked as a mere "overlook" is in fact the former location of a well-known landmark, The Ship Hotel. It was an icon of the Lincoln Highway and burned to the ground shortly after the 9/11 attacks. You can see what it used to look like and read about its history in this article: Ship Hotel has sailed, but a jaunty new book honors its history and heyday - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last edited:
As I was writing that up I was wondering if there was a better place to gather these (more or less) range-neutral side trips.

Since we're all a little bit beholden to whatever highway the Superchargers are on it would nice to find ways to change up the trips and/or explore without dramatically altering time/range. This example is just ideal-- I think-- because of the photo ops, history/current event lessons (especially with kids along), etc.

Best place I could come up with putting it was under the Supercharger page, but would a typical traveler look here months after a Supercharger location was alive and well? I don't think so...

Anyway-- Maybe we need a new "Side Trips" sub-forum or something??

Just thinking out loud.... on the internet...

"Fun curves!"

LOL! :)

Anyway-- Maybe we need a new "Side Trips" sub-forum or something??

Just thinking out loud.... on the internet...

Always dangerous. ;-) I like this idea, though I am a "go directly to X, do not pass GO" kinda person usually). I'm not sure a new sub-forum makes sense; I doubt there's be a ton of posts. Probably threads in the regional forums makes sense (i.e., here, just a new thread for each side-trip, versus posting the main info into an existing thread about a particular supercharger). Just my take on it.

Anyway, thanks for posting this!

Interestingly enough Google Maps is suggesting another route from Hagerstown to Somerset via Cumberland, MD, which looks like it could be fun and is actually 6 miles shorter in distance. The only point of caution on that is going to Cumberland is quite mountainous and I have never gone north of Cumberland up into Pen.

Not sure if there is a better or more recent thread on this supercharger. If so, it is a little hard to search for it using my phone.
Just stopped at the Somerset Supercharger this morning. Stall 3B has degraded service. Cycles between 6 Kw and 15 Kw or so. My SOC upon arrival was about 15%. Moved to Stall 2B and that worked fine.

Called Tesla supercharger team. On hold for about 20 minutes, but got through and reported it. They seemed aware of power problems.

Reactions: jthompson