Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sonora, CA (under construction Feb 2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did see someone’s comment about the “slug” in another thread. However I know here in the Bay Area a number of SCs popped up already under permit or when someone discovered them by accident while driving past while not being listed on the map at all, so not sure that’s really any indication. Who knows how thorough they go through the webpage listings when time to update. Could be someone saw a listing not used yet and saved some design time by using it figuring another could be created later. I kind of think that’s a more logical assumption. Jackson’s in Amador County so not even in the same county as Sonora (Tuolumne).

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
Highway 88 is a moderately popular trans-Sierra highway to avoid the crowds at South Shore, hike/fish/ski around Kirkwood and Alpine County, or to veer to US395 through Markleeville and Monitor Pass. It is also open year-round (barring the occasional temporary closures for avalanche control.)

Highway 108 leads across the Sierra over Sonora Pass that is closed from late November-early December through mid-to-late spring. Dodge Ridge Ski Area is along the highway, and there are the usual outdoor activities, but my feeling is that there is much less traffic on this highway than highway 88.

I think eventually a Supercharger would be nice to have in Sonora or Jamestown, but for the nonce it probably is not that urgent.

Well just to wake this thread up a little bit to see what has changed.

Tesla site now says 2022 for Sonora California. It also says a "Target" store is going in but not sure of the exact location..
If Tesla hadn't actually partnered with Target Corp. for hosting superchargers at a lot of locations, fewer people might make this same mis-inference. But as Bruce points out, Tesla's use of "target" on their map is referring to the date they are targeting to have the location open, every "coming soon" pin with a date listed says the same thing and they definitely aren't all going at Target stores.

Reactions: 1100MCM
If you got a first here, Bruce, can we move the word 'speculation' out of the title? Sadly we are up at the cabin, so I missed the notice that it even opened, so I cannot join you here.
I think it was the Sonoma supercharger that opened today and not the Sonora one unfortunately. Funny how a single letter can cost you an extra 140 miles of driving lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Link?

We are coming up on two years since Tesla submitted plans to Alameda to add a Supercharger here and they have gone absolutely nowhere since that moment:

Yeah, avoid the Bozo association and post some concrete info. You don't want people blocking you as an unreliable narrator.
IMG_4361.jpeg

Coming to the “Lower SaveMart”. Sonora locals will know where that is…