Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC - Toringdon Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EarthFare has reopened at this location! One of my favorite grocery stores, and a DECENT place to stop along my trip from Myrtle Beach to Mooresville.

Now if we could just get a Supercharger in Mooresville.
Awesome! This location didn’t have much else around. There’s all the little shops but they were stuff I’d never go to. Glad they reopened! Hopefully they stay open!

11/12 slots in use when I was there today

Attachments

• 89103574-D68B-4B83-91A8-AAF5B7A041C5.jpeg
    89103574-D68B-4B83-91A8-AAF5B7A041C5.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: PStewart
Just stopped here 3 times over the Holiday weekend, pretty busy location with it always being more than half full of Teslas. I wish all SuC locations could be v3 250 kW without splitting the charger rate. Nothing much new or exciting to report but it appears that the small Christmas trees in front of the Supercharger cabinets are now gone. Earth Fare is open but it wasnt busy at all.

1638051141278.png

Reactions: DavidAsheville
Care to explain further please? Thanks

I think he's talking about this behavior, from the excellent Supercharging reference at TeslaTap ( Supercharger SuperGuide – TeslaTap , scroll down to V3 section)

--- begin quote ---
V3 Stall Limitations

The V3 Supercharger has a maximum grid power input of 350 kW and local battery storage input of 575 kW for a combined maximum input of 925 kW. Assuming a 5% conversion loss, this means 878 kW is available to four stalls. Now that assumes the battery has not been depleted. There could be a heavily used situation where the battery has been depleted, and then only the AC input is available, for a 350 * 0.95 = 332 kW that is available for the four stalls.

So you could have three Model Y cars charging at 250 kW, and a forth Model S 75 charging at 120 kW. It is unlikely four cars would converge on four stalls at the exact same time with very low SOC that would limit the power to one or more cars. In most cases, every car will get the maximum power they need.
--- end quote ---

I think he's talking about this behavior, from the excellent Supercharging reference at TeslaTap ( Supercharger SuperGuide – TeslaTap , scroll down to V3 section)

--- begin quote ---
V3 Stall Limitations

The V3 Supercharger has a maximum grid power input of 350 kW and local battery storage input of 575 kW for a combined maximum input of 925 kW. Assuming a 5% conversion loss, this means 878 kW is available to four stalls. Now that assumes the battery has not been depleted. There could be a heavily used situation where the battery has been depleted, and then only the AC input is available, for a 350 * 0.95 = 332 kW that is available for the four stalls.

So you could have three Model Y cars charging at 250 kW, and a forth Model S 75 charging at 120 kW. It is unlikely four cars would converge on four stalls at the exact same time with very low SOC that would limit the power to one or more cars. In most cases, every car will get the maximum power they need.
--- end quote ---
Thanks for the insight. I found the article on TeslaTap as well and learned something new.

I did not know the max you can pull from the "grid" is 350 kW and that Tesla uses their own local battery storage of 575 kW. This is presumably to supplement the SC site and provide more power since you are limited by the max grid output of 350 kW. I always wondered what the cabinets were for but didn't really know.

and local battery storage input of 575 kW
I'll also add to this - it's DC input - which can be from solar, battery, but can also be from other cabinets. So even on sites without batteries, say a 2 cabinet, 8 stall site, each cabinet can get 350 kW from the grid, and if one cabinet is completely empty it can "send" its 350 kW to the other cabinet - making 700 kW available for the four vehicles there to share (average 175 kW each). If all eight stalls are full it's effectively 700 kW split evenly between the eight stalls (average 87.5 kW each).

Thanks for the insight. I found the article on TeslaTap as well and learned something new.

I did not know the max you can pull from the "grid" is 350 kW and that Tesla uses their own local battery storage of 575 kW. This is presumably to supplement the SC site and provide more power since you are limited by the max grid output of 350 kW. I always wondered what the cabinets were for but didn't really know.

Tesla CAN use local battery storage, but that doesn't mean they do at every site. In fact, I don't believe that many sites even have local storage. The cabinets that I think you are referring to contain the AC/DC and DC/DC converters, not batteries.

I was here again over the past weekend and it was rather busy still. Stalls 1A and 1B appear to be capped to 70 kW for some reason. I reported it to [email protected]
1655304396754.png

I found it odd that when a Model 3 pulled up and plugged in next to me they "stole" my power as my charge rate dropped from 90 kW to 55 kW. I think the 150 kW split the 90 to them and the 55 to me even though I was plugged in first. I wonder if Tesla is giving the paying customers higher priority over the free SuC users like me. I thought the person who plugged in first always got the priority rate 🤔

I found it odd that when a Model 3 pulled up and plugged in next to me they "stole" my power as my charge rate dropped from 90 kW to 55 kW. I think the 150 kW split the 90 to them and the 55 to me even though I was plugged in first. I wonder if Tesla is giving the paying customers higher priority over the free SuC users like me. I thought the person who plugged in first always got the priority rate 🤔
I've had that happen before in the Y. I think it varies by supercharger as to whether the first to arrive gets priority.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I was here again over the past weekend and it was rather busy still. Stalls 1A and 1B appear to be capped to 70 kW for some reason. I reported it to [email protected]
View attachment 816885

They give priority to those with lower SoC on V2's. That is not unusual and has been the norm for awhile. At least that's my understanding.

Also per TeslaTap below:

1655307596138.png

Based on your graph it looks like your SoC was at or above 50% when the other car plugged in next to you (but I could be reading it wrong).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
They give priority to those with lower state of charge on V2's. That is not unusual and has been the norm for awhile. At least that's my understanding.
Perhaps, but my understanding was that it gave priority to the first plugged in to get them finished charging and gone quicker. If the lower SoC person gets priority even though they arrive later then it seems to me that both stalls will be occupied longer instead of cars flowing in/out but maybe my back of the napkin math is wrong.

Tesla has all the data and I'm sure they know what works best (I hope) for SuC speed/usage. But then again they could be catering towards a good impression for user experience instead of overall speed. Imagine if you were that model 3 with 10% SoC and pulled next to an existing car and plugged in to only get 60 kW (or less) with an estimated charge time of 45 minutes, probably mad at Tesla and the experience if you were expecting a 20 minute charge time. So they shuffle the power to the model 3 to get 90 kW instead of 60 kW and now you are seeing a 30 minute charge time and not quite so upset and the car that was there first doesn't hang around as long since they might be able to make it to the next destination with an adequate energy buffer 🤷‍♂️

Either way, more v3 SuC locations please 😁

Perhaps, but my understanding was that it gave priority to the first plugged in to get them finished charging and gone quicker. If the lower SoC person gets priority even though they arrive later then it seems to me that both stalls will be occupied longer instead of cars flowing in/out but maybe my back of the napkin math is wrong.

Tesla has all the data and I'm sure they know what works best (I hope) for SuC speed/usage. But then again they could be catering towards a good impression for user experience instead of overall speed. Imagine if you were that model 3 with 10% SoC and pulled next to an existing car and plugged in to only get 60 kW (or less) with an estimated charge time of 45 minutes, probably mad at Tesla and the experience if you were expecting a 20 minute charge time. So they shuffle the power to the model 3 to get 90 kW instead of 60 kW and now you are seeing a 30 minute charge time and not quite so upset and the car that was there first doesn't hang around as long since they might be able to make it to the next destination with an adequate energy buffer 🤷‍♂️

Either way, more v3 SuC locations please 😁
The whole power sharing thing sucks in general, but the flip side could also be true for the person that arrives with a 10% SoC and it says 1 hour to get to 80% for example. In theory, the first car has been there the longest and has been receiving "good power" so the new car arriving would then receive the "good power" as the first car has begun to taper anyways due to a higher SoC. I realize you could look at this a thousand different ways and the only correct answer is that power sharing sucks :)