TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - South Hill, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by techmaven, Jul 5, 2014.

1. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I spoke with the town manager of South Hill and he confirmed that the town has approved Tesla's plans for a Supercharger. They are waiting for Tesla to select subcontractors and apply for the necessary permits. The location, assuming no changes, is going to be at:

Kahill's Restaurant & Bar
    1791 N Mecklenburg Ave
    South Hill, VA 23970

https://goo.gl/maps/HDpa9

I stopped by there on the way home to Richmond and took these pictures:

IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1723.JPG
    SouthHillPanorama.jpg

2. linkster

linkster Member

Thank-you much for this scouting report !

3. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Very nice. This might get me to stop my range charges in Glen Allen, VA when heading to Burlington, NC... although depending on the time of day, if I'm eating in Glen Allen I'd probably end up skipping this stop. Glen Allen to Burlington used 250-ish rated miles (using I-85) when it was 30F outside, so, probably a good winter stop.

4. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

A little different from the typical Supercharger hotel/strip mall location. What's the restaurant like?

5. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

This will be similar to Santee. When I communicated with the Town Manager back in May, she indicated that they were planning on 6-8 stalls. Not sure if anything has changed as they've been waiting to progress through to the next phase.

6. jandkw

jandkw Member

This is great. Last time I traveled from Cary NC to NJ using i85 first leg, and didn't make it with my S60 (180 miles apart) so on the way back, I have to stop by Rocky Mount SC which is a detour. Now I'm all set with South Hill. Thanks techmaven for the info.

7. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Definitely a needed winter stop between the two. I found myself below the speed limit of 70mph to bridge the gap during November and April (more a headwind and rain issue in April).

8. callmesam

callmesam Member

This is a great spot and will really help in opening up central virginia and north carolina. Heading from Norfolk/VA Beach to points south will be helped since having to choose between 85 and 95 has been not too convenient.

9. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I didn't stop in. Looks nice enough from the pictures on Yelp. We were already full from our stop in Burlington (range charge) and we were a bit anxious to get home.

If you are talking about Kim Callis, the town manager, he's a guy. Apparently the confusion is common when I spoke to him. He was very enthusiastic about having Tesla's Supercharger in his town. Here's part of what I shared with him back in May to hopefully help with the planning process:

10. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Thanks for the correction. Definitely thought Kim was a she, but was only communicating through email. Thanks for all the updates.

11. JST

JST Active Member

Looks like a good spot to stop on the way to VIR.

12. dandodson

dandodson Member

Fantastic news and a great location for a 60kWh owner who travels from Trenton to Winston-Salem.

Going to Sevierville TN this weekend with the family and wish I could take the Tesla but just can't make it on Superchargers.

13. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

This is exactly what I was thinking! This will make towing the motorcycle to VIR that much easier in the Model S

14. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Location is under construction. I doubt we have any owners in the area to take pictures or am I wrong?

15. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I'll pass through here in a couple of weeks. Not close by, but I end up in that direction every other month or so.

16. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

I imagine our intrepid @techmaven will swing by there...he's local to Richmond.

17. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Not sure when I'll be heading back down that way... but Leilani Munter might be! :smile:

18. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

19. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

On the way home, it might make more sense to just direct hop from Glen Allen to Burlington in her P85. That would bring her right past South Hill.

20. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I've done this... 5x now? Pretty easy in the nice weather. I didn't even bother to watch my range at all the last couple of times (after almost max charge... maybe 97%). Comes in pretty close in the cold, but doable with a range charge (South Hill will help in the cold).