Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - South Hill, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the way home, it might make more sense to just direct hop from Glen Allen to Burlington in her P85. That would bring her right past South Hill.

I've done this... 5x now? Pretty easy in the nice weather. I didn't even bother to watch my range at all the last couple of times (after almost max charge... maybe 97%). Comes in pretty close in the cold, but doable with a range charge (South Hill will help in the cold).

Passed through South Hill today. The site looks essentially done except for setting the transformers, final wiring, and hanging proper doors on the electrical cage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit: I couldn't get a good photo of the inside of the cage, but the three Supercharger cabinets are inside already. It's just missing the transformers on the service side.

Last edited:
Passed through South Hill today. The site looks essentially done except for setting the transformers, final wiring, and hanging proper doors on the electrical cage.

This could be a new record for fastest Supercharger construction! If you look at the first post on this thread, it was only 14 days ago that this site got approval and was waiting for the permit to be picked up!!!

Anyone driving through please post a picture of the utility/transformer pad. If, by chance, the utility transformer is in place already, this location will be live in record time!! Distribution cabinets...... Utility transformer...... pull wires.... connect.... test....... DONE!!! Let's hope it continues to progress quickly.
thank you!!

Anyone driving through please post a picture of the utility/transformer pad. If, by chance, the utility transformer is in place already, this location will be live in record time!! Distribution cabinets...... Utility transformer...... pull wires.... connect.... test....... DONE!!! Let's hope it continues to progress quickly.
thank you!!

None of the shots I tried to get through the fencing came out well enough to post, but there's empty space on the right side inside the cage next to the three charger cabinets for the transformer and distribution cabinet, they haven't been installed yet.

Update from someone that works at South Hill.

"I do not have any firm dates. My code Compliance Official is out this week, but he mentioned last week the site may be ready for final inspection next week. I understand the electrical work is the big item remaining. "

Stopped in around midnight last night. Weather was crappy. Looks like a 750 kVA transformer is installed behind the dumpster and all equipment is in place in the caged area.

Guess its just waiting on inspections and such. Was not energized.

Took some pics but they came out poorly. I'll touch up and post later.

Maybe it will be live for my return trip next Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll just note, out of all of the superchargers I've stopped at this is probably one of the easiest and quickest to get to off of the highway. Jump on RT 1, go about 1/4 mile and its there. Same to get back to I-85. Piece of cake.

- - - Updated - - -

20140801_235203.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2014-08-02 11.33.51.jpg
2014-08-02 11.33.00.jpg
2014-08-02 11.32.03.jpg
2014-08-02 11.31.08.jpg
20140801_234956.jpg
20140801_234950.jpg

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec