Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Philadelphia, PA - Penrose Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed a Wawa exec about the new Wawa being put at the corner of Frankford and Academy, literally at the I-95 ramp. Sadly he didn't get back to me. But I can't imagine a more perfect location other than actual highway rest stops.

But if I'm being totally honest, the new Jim Thorpe locations are way more important to me than any in Philly. Here I charge at home, but my round trips to Wilkes-Barre are now complete and perfect convenience, even if we want to do a quick turnaround in winter (in the old S), which had previously been a no go. Now we could opt for the way there or the way home, depending on the kiddo's napping needs. Perfection!
I thought all new Wawa location were supposedly putting in SuperCharging?
I guess there are going to be exceptions to that rule within the city limits...
At least the V3 at Royal Farms isn't far from there.

I've been emailing supermarket management and city council members trying to get more sharging installed in supermarket lots in South Philly. Little luck so far. The new Giant going in at Columbus and Reed will probably have free Volta chargers like the one at Riverwalk at least. It's good for a few % while you do regular shopping.

I've been emailing supermarket management and city council members trying to get more sharging installed in supermarket lots in South Philly. Little luck so far. The new Giant going in at Columbus and Reed will probably have free Volta chargers like the one at Riverwalk at least. It's good for a few % while you do regular shopping.
I did read an article mentioning that Wawa planned to expand/add more Tesla superchargers, but wasn't aware that they were going to add them at every location. But I'm not complaining if it is a future endeavor, but like you said it is not too far away from the Aramingo Royal Farms or the Wawa in Bensalem. I wish there were more J1772 chargers around so I don't have to solely rely on the superchargers all the time (I live in an apartment).

I would direct efforts to Councilmembers Oh and Squilla. They were part of the EV charging task force that was convened a few years ago to recommend policy to follow the end of the reserved parking curbside for personal EV charger installations. I was actually on the task force too! Quite an honor but really disappointing that the policy paper is as far as it got before being placed on a shelf to never be spoken about again.

Reactions: Lanny
It works! All by my lonesome.

Attachments

• C5BB2C0E-8EAA-4827-8177-F65A1C1EA038.jpeg
    C5BB2C0E-8EAA-4827-8177-F65A1C1EA038.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 150
  • 24896F18-B865-49A0-AB40-AD86678ADF09.jpeg
    24896F18-B865-49A0-AB40-AD86678ADF09.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 112
@MarcoRP - If you want to edit the original message to bump some directions, I found it a little tricky to access from I-76 from Center City.

From I-76 East, you take the Penrose exit but despite potentially spotting Wawa through the trees on your right, you don't turn right toward the airport. This will result in being on the wrong side of Penrose Avenue, which is divided at that point, and your only option is taking a ride across the Platt Bridge and making a u-turn 2 miles later. From that exit, I hope the nav will properly direct you straight onto 26th Street toward the Navy Yard for a service road that gets to the Wawa.

Similarly, if you're coming from anywhere other than the Philadelphia airport, you'll need to turn before the actual Wawa.

Anyone else tried it? I did a 15min charge this week on the way to the Navy Yard and only got 70kW at stall 3A. I was all by myself except for the UPS 18 wheeler cab that stopped in the first 3 stalls to grab his food. ;) Don't turn right out of Wawa, that road just goes under the Platt bridge... I did not preheat for supercharging, but did drive the car over 45 min in to philly before charging, so not sure why I was seeing 70kW. Will have to try again and check out some other stalls.

Anyone else tried it? I did a 15min charge this week on the way to the Navy Yard and only got 70kW at stall 3A. I was all by myself except for the UPS 18 wheeler cab that stopped in the first 3 stalls to grab his food. ;) Don't turn right out of Wawa, that road just goes under the Platt bridge... I did not preheat for supercharging, but did drive the car over 45 min in to philly before charging, so not sure why I was seeing 70kW. Will have to try again and check out some other stalls.
That 45 minute drive isn't going to do too much without preheating.

• Helpful
Reactions: cobra

When you say you did not preheat, do you mean that you didn't navigate to the Supercharger, and why?

When you say you did not preheat, do you mean that you didn't navigate to the S
I have used this charger multiple times and was able to get over 200kw. Some with preheating and the others
599E1C01-AFB2-442D-A4E3-30BD4A4DCE28.png
without preheating but only a 20 minute drive from New Castle, DE. What was you SOC when you arrived?

Attachments

• BA62442A-CE48-42B7-A87B-EA45156E1C69.png
    BA62442A-CE48-42B7-A87B-EA45156E1C69.png
    569.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: cobra