TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - South San Francisco (LIVE 14 Feb 2020, 20 urban stalls)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by domorobigato, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DMagic

DMagic Member

This morning when I drove by it looked like the fencing was down around the outside of the site, too. There were cars parked in some of the spots, but I don't think the chargers are active, as some of the infrastructure still looked like it was missing (whatever goes in the two locations surrounded by the red pylons).

IMG_20191121_164245.jpg

The picture is from last week.

For what it's worth this is a pretty crummy location (though understandable given the local area). The only amenities are whatever the hotel has and the 711 across a pretty busy street. The surrounding area is basically biotech land, where a lot of the companies probably have their own chargers, and no one really lives out there. It does fill in a big gap between the tiny, overcrowded San Mateo location and Daly City, though.

• Like x 1
  2. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

That's where the supercharger cabinets will go.

• Like x 1
  3. mlambrinov

mlambrinov Member

How much longer do you think it will be till this location is up and running?

Also what do think the rate is going to be? I expect it to be 28c/kWh like @ the urban super chargers in Daly City

4. domorobigato

domorobigato Member

Slightly higher (1 or 2 cents) to keep incentivizing people to go to Daly City, since they have 40 stalls.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Helpful x 1
  6. beagletime

beagletime Member

Still missing cabinets as of this afternoon 12/17. Is there a hardware shortage or is something else holding this up?

7. 21five

21five Member

Same is true for Lincoln, CA; over a month with no progress (and just awaiting cabinets). I’m assuming a hardware shortage, perhaps because other locations had priority (trans-Canada being a likely suspect).

8. DMagic

DMagic Member

It looks like there has been some activity here recently, though some of it may be hotel related. There are a bunch of containers and waste bins that look unrelated to the chargers.

I saw some more Tesla equipment at the site today.

IMG_20200109_110418.jpg

IMG_20200109_110419.jpg

One of the cabinets was uncovered, and a few of the charger stalls had their covers off, too.

All this other junk makes the site a little bit unaccessible.

IMG_20200109_110358.jpg

• Like x 2
  9. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

The tall cabinets on the pallets in the second picture are the superchargers. They are what's going to get installed in the area of the first picture showing the conduit and wiring.

• Like x 1
  10. beagletime

beagletime Member

Supercharger cabinets installed as of yesterday evening Friday 1/10/2020. Covers over the chargers still and construction blocking the parking spots. Anyone know how long it usually takes to go live after all hardware has been installed?

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

There is no way to predict whether it will be days or weeks or months because the final steps are outside of Tesla’s control. It will depend on PG&E installing the transformer and connecting to the grid and sign-offs by the city and...

12. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

I drove through here last night, there were no covers on the pedestals and no cones in the spots. There were cars parked in the spots, some of them Teslas, but I didn't notice whether they were plugged in or just parked there. I unfortunately have a rental car so I can't plug in and find out, but aside from a lot of construction in the immediate area this location looked open to me. (I didn't check for transformers, the actual Supercharger units, etc -- just saying that visually I'd have guessed this was a functional site as of last night's drive through if I didn't know any better.)

• Like x 1
  13. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

578FEF57-DA2D-4605-B64E-8265E8AF3AE4.jpeg
    2072FD59-C802-4B6D-9CD7-7DF77953E08C.jpeg

Bird’s eye view, looks like the chargers themselves are in place too. The boxes at the bottom look to be part of the renovation of the top two floors of the hotel (bathtubs/etc).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  14. DWdrum

DWdrum Member

Thanks for sharing this. Question, I've never seen the smaller form factor of the chargers....is this new for Tesla and do u think it has any effect on being a real super charger relative to max charging capability? Thanks

15. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Them are standard urban chargers from very high up - birds eye view

16. ken830

ken830 Model S 85, Model 3 Performance

#56 ken830, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Wait... From the photos, there are 21 stalls visible. So, there are likely more. It also seems like 10 cabinets on the left and possibly either 3 or 4 cabinets at the far end. Maybe we're looking at a 24- or 26-stall location, not the 20-stall that the thread title suggests. Anyone on the ground that can just do a simple count or get higher-resolution or closer photos?

EDIT: Are some of these just HPWCs?

17. DMagic

DMagic Member

Relative to those pictures, the chargers closest to the viewer are regular level 2 chargers. I'm not sure of the exact count.

There are also 20-30 level 2 chargers (they all look like J1772) on the other side of the hotel.

• Informative x 1
  18. mlambrinov

mlambrinov Member

There was no power today

Attached Files:

19. mlambrinov

mlambrinov Member

Everything looked ready though

20. beagletime

beagletime Member

was the parking gate open or did you have to talk to someone inside?