Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Southampton, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
Supercharge.info has a new construction cone in Southampton, NY at 850 Southampton Bypass. There isn't a discussion link there yet, and I can't find any other info out about it. I'm not sure how they found out about it, maybe someone saw it and contacted them directly. Anyone in the area able to grab some pics?

I wish I had seen this message yesterday.. I was in Southampton yesterday and drove right by this location. I have a 100 amp Clipper Creek in my summer home out in Quogue but I occasionally rent it out in the summers and stay with friends or AirBnB a place for a weekend so a supercharger will come in handy to get me back to the city in these instances.

I am looking at supercharge.info as I type this in another tab, but rarely bother to look at the Northeast region anymore so I missed this.

what we need now is a Harrisburg, PA supercharger.

Ok, please explain to me how a supercharger in Southampton could be anything other than a local supercharger. Unless one is taking the ferry to CT (which I might well be inclined to do), this hardly seems on the way to anywhere. Honestly, the development priorities here seem baffling to me. Meanwhile, I-86, I-80 and I-76 are languishing.

upload_2016-4-5_16-47-24.jpeg

Ok, please explain to me how a supercharger in Southampton could be anything other than a local supercharger. Unless one is taking the ferry to CT (which I might well be inclined to do), this hardly seems on the way to anywhere. Honestly, the development priorities here seem baffling to me. Meanwhile, I-86, I-80 and I-76 are languishing.

On the way from NYC to block island
On the way from CT/NYC to the south fork

Reactions: bhzmark
Easy to drive from the city to the Hamptons and back, but you wont have much juice to do anything else. Aslo - it will take a strain off of Syosset, where they only have 4 stalls. Most cars would make it back without a Syosset visit. Overall, a great, and much needed location.

. Ha - are you familiar with the Hamptons? This is a playground for Tesla demographic. Location is perfect for weekenders coming from CT, the City or Jersey. Makes perfect sense.

Reactions: bhzmark
. Ha - are you familiar with the Hamptons? This is a playground for Tesla demographic. Location is perfect for weekenders coming from CT, the City or Jersey. Makes perfect sense.

Well, I'd love a supercharger next to my summer playground too (Cape Elizabeth ME), but on the merits, I don't think it will happen. Southampton sounds like a perfect place for a bunch of HPWC destination chargers. Having driven out there, wouldn't you want to stay a few hours?

Well, I'd love a supercharger next to my summer playground too (Cape Elizabeth ME), but on the merits, I don't think it will happen. Southampton sounds like a perfect place for a bunch of HPWC destination chargers. Having driven out there, wouldn't you want to stay a few hours?

As someone who lives in the Hamptons year-round, I've driven into NYC and back on a single charge many times, and usually end up with about 20-30 miles of range left. But unlike summer weekend visitors, I don't have to sit in traffic both ways, which can cut down on range significantly, especially if you're blasting the AC while sitting in that summer traffic. And Montauk is a good 25+ miles east of me, so add 50 miles to anyone heading out there.

There are some destination HPWCs already in the Hamptons, but it's not like they're at the beach! We've had our HPWC listed on PlugShare for almost three years, and while I'm sure the many people that have stopped to charge there appreciate it, I'm also pretty sure that they would rather be doing any number of things rather than sitting in our driveway for a couple of hours ;)

And, as HollywoodNY mentioned, the Hamptons summer visitors are definitely part of Tesla's target audience, which is why they host/sponsor many events in the Hamptons...So, while a Supercharger out here will certainly be useful, I think it's just as much of a marketing/promotional opportunity from them as well (and, I've had the Tesla guys charge at my HPWC more than a couple if times) Is it essential? Is it a top priority? Probably not. Which is probably why they waited almost four years to install one out here.

We've had our HPWC listed on PlugShare for almost three years, and while I'm sure the many people that have stopped to charge there appreciate it, I'm also pretty sure that they would rather be doing any number of things rather than sitting in our driveway for a couple of hours ;)

And, as HollywoodNY mentioned, the Hamptons summer visitors are definitely part of Tesla's target audience, which is why they host/sponsor many events in the Hamptons...So, while a Supercharger out here will certainly be useful, I think it's just as much of a marketing/promotional opportunity from them as well (and, I've had the Tesla guys charge at my HPWC more than a couple if times) Is it essential? Is it a top priority? Probably not. Which is probably why they waited almost four years to install one out here.

TheAustin - I still have it on my list to visit your location, and pick up a few Joules, who knows, maybe I will see you at our newest Supercharger! (we havent met, but you know me) Anybody have a time frame for it's completion?