Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Southampton, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it's going to be helpful when driving home from visiting my daughter at UD as I have a NEMA 14-50 in my garage. On my drive home from NJ if I haven't had enough time to charge at the hotel, I usually have enough to get to Syosset. The location isn't bad for people heading to the Hamptons for the weekend and have enough charge. There is a NEMA 14-50 in Sag Harbor at The American Hotel (secret location); A J1772 ChargePoint in Southampton closer to the village; a J1772 behind the East Hampton Town Hall..... It will be nice to have the Supercharger closer than Syosset as a year round resident:)

As someone who lives in the Hamptons year-round, I've driven into NYC and back on a single charge many times, and usually end up with about 20-30 miles of range left. But unlike summer weekend visitors, I don't have to sit in traffic both ways, which can cut down on range significantly, especially if you're blasting the AC while sitting in that summer traffic. And Montauk is a good 25+ miles east of me, so add 50 miles to anyone heading out there.

There are some destination HPWCs already in the Hamptons, but it's not like they're at the beach! We've had our HPWC listed on PlugShare for almost three years, and while I'm sure the many people that have stopped to charge there appreciate it, I'm also pretty sure that they would rather be doing any number of things rather than sitting in our driveway for a couple of hours ;)

And, as HollywoodNY mentioned, the Hamptons summer visitors are definitely part of Tesla's target audience, which is why they host/sponsor many events in the Hamptons...So, while a Supercharger out here will certainly be useful, I think it's just as much of a marketing/promotional opportunity from them as well (and, I've had the Tesla guys charge at my HPWC more than a couple if times) Is it essential? Is it a top priority? Probably not. Which is probably why they waited almost four years to install one out here.

I think you are spot here in your third paragraph. Because the fact that going somewhere in your Tesla causes you to return home with an empty battery is no justification at all for putting a supercharger at your house!

Just drove by yesterday morning...Eight stalls, looks very promising, although but I don't see the generator/transformer unit on site yet. So I don't think this will be open any time soon...I'm guessing they've got a Memorial Day target anyway.

IMG_9135.JPG
IMG_9137.JPG
IMG_9138.JPG
IMG_9139.JPG
IMG_9140.JPG

I think you are spot here in your third paragraph. Because the fact that going somewhere in your Tesla causes you to return home with an empty battery is no justification at all for putting a supercharger at your house!

Well, for better or worse, it's going in...And we don't get to decide where they go anyway. So, I'm not going to lose sleep over it...Tesla has managed to build a pretty decent network of Superchargers across the country so far, and continue to grow it week-to-week. At this point, I'm going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt and let them decide where they think they need to install Superchargers ;)

Reactions: HollywoodNY
=" Because the fact that going somewhere in your Tesla causes you to return home with an empty battery is no justification at all for putting a supercharger at your house!
I agree, but you don't have to be arrogant, just because someone else is getting a helpful SC somewhere near their playground. You mentioned you wanted one near YOUR playground right? So you have the same hopes as the Hamptons Folks. End of story.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt and let them decide where they think they need to install Superchargers ;)
HEAR HEAR!! FWIW, every time I visit Syosset, I stop in, say hi to the sales force, and remark that it is pretty amazing that their are only 4 SC stalls for all of Long Island, the waiting queue there can be ridiculous, (and the SC at JFK airport I dont count, as it is WAY out of the way for almost everyone, unless they have business at JFK airport). They always agree, and have told me the Supercharger teams have been searching for some time, and still had not found a suitable place. This looks to be their decision. Since we live on a 118 mile long sandbar, it does make sense to put a SC location somewhere on the East end. As I stated earlier, it will take a massive load off of Syosset SC, as it would be simple to make it back to NYC or New Jersey. And for what it's worth ... I have only supercharged THREE TIMES in 18 months of ownership, all 3 times I had to wait my turn.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TheAustin
Its very variable, as that one picture doesn't show much. The actual bay looks about 1/2 done. What we can't see is the AC Cabinet, the DC cabinets, the transformer pad, the illumination (street light) poles, and any work on the 'fencing' if any. It looks at least 2 weeks away, but it's hard to tell based on that picture.