TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Southlake, Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by bollar, Aug 14, 2017.

1. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Tesla has applied to install a ten pedestal Supercharger at Southlake Town Square. This installation requires a Specific Use Permit. The hearing schedule is as follows:

Planning & Zoning: Thursday, August 17, 2017

If all goes well, it goes to City Council on Tuesday, September 5, 2017.

Again, if all goes well, there will be a second City Council hearing on Tuesday, September 19, 2017, at which point a vote will be held.

The City Council has been consistently in favor of electric car charging and I expect they will also support this application. They are an inquisitive group, though, so I expect much discussion from them at the public hearings.

• Like x 8
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

This is a good example of why it takes so long to install superchargers after Tesla identifies a site and comes to agreement with the property owner.

• Like x 1
  3. larmor

larmor Active Member

This is a great site, and will be a win-win for the businesses there. Parking can be hard there, but i suspect the SCs sites won't have a chance to get ICE'd with tesla's popularity...

4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Not sure if that location really helps long distance travel. It is not on the path of connecting Dallas to any other major city/destination. Anywhere on I35W near Forth Worth is a good choice.

But there is one thing going for this location - excellent choice for food.

5. bollar

Being able to take SH 114 to US 287 via Wichita Falls & Childress to Amarillo and beyond on I-40 lops 2 1/2 hours off the trip through OKC. It's also the route Google Maps recommends between the Southeast and Denver, Albuquerque and points in Northern California, so I'd say a NE Tarrant County has some utility for long distance travel.

Since it would be the first North Texas Supercharger with Hotel, Shopping, Restaurant, Grocery and etc., I think it will be quite popular with people who don't have charging at home who would come once or twice a week, and long-distance travelers who don't want to stay at a Holiday Inn Express or eat at a Collin Street Bakery or Denny's.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  6. bollar

The spaces in question are almost always empty. I'd expect potential problems only during Art in the Square (April), Independence Day Fireworks and Oktoberfest. These events tend to fill the parking lots.

• Like x 2
  7. TexasEV

This emphasizes the need for the Wichita Falls supercharger. What's happened with that? When Childress opened I assumed Wichita Falls wouldn't be far behind-- otherwise Childress is kind of orphaned out there as it's too far from DFW area (uphill and against the wind) for all but perhaps the largest batteries. Are there nefarious forces at play in Wichita Falls as we've suspected with the long delay in Ft. Stockton?

• Like x 2
  8. bollar

I expect the issues at Wichita Falls are different than Ft. Stockton, if only because WF is a much larger city. Plus there are other potential locations, like Vernon, just a few miles up the road. My opinion is that the favored locations weren't interested and nobody has had time to resurvey the town.

• Like x 1
  9. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Well.. Denton SC exactly fills the void for the travel you mention to Wichita falls and beyond. And Denton location also has great eating places and shopping. I am for as many SCs as we can get, but this one is not filling any specific long distance void. Just adds to the count.

Regarding folks with no garages, while that is true anywhere, Southlake and near by areas are one of those suburbs where 3 car garages are the norm.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. TexasEV

Denton to Childress is 210 miles. It most certainly does not fill the void of the long-planned Wichita Falls supercharger. Heading west that's 210 miles uphill and often against a strong wind.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Google-wise Denton, TX is a significant diversion from the fastest route SE USA to Amarillo, TX and points west. So, really, it is filling a long-distance void.

• Like x 3
  12. bollar

13. TSchaefer

TSchaefer ~~~Model S Owner~~~ Model 3 Reservation Holder

Southlake is an excellent location. Any kind of food you want within a half mile, from fine dining to bistro, and pretty much every retail opportunity one could hope for. Plus a nice movie theater! It will be good to have one in NE Tarrant County. Many people coming through there call the local Plug Share contact for a little charge to get them to their destination. This is exciting news and it is great to see the expansion of the Tesla charging network. I remember when Texas was an island.

• Like x 1
  14. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Go Southlake!
    Go Wichita Falls!! ...or Vernon!!

I am currently looking for best driving route(s) to NorthWest U.S. for Total Solar Eclipse viewing in Idaho (cloudy weather fall-back viewing location is Western Wyoming).
    Thinking I may have resolved the issue with a little bit of "extra-stop charging" using Existing Superchargers Strategy.

After I leave Denton, I plan to drive to Ardmore, get a nice (nearly full) charge while having dinner, then head West to Childress.
    While it is still 188 miles (Google Maps), which (driving uphill and against the wind) is no small feat, but easy (probably) does it.
    That is 22 real and rugged miles LESS than direct from Denton to Childress.

I made the drive from Childress to Denton in October '16.
    And can certify the wind plays havoc with your range, even taking it easy most of the way (not all winds are tailwinds).

A Supercharger in either Wichita Falls or Vernon would be nice, but neither will transpire in the immediate future.
    My driving strategy, in order to work around "the East to West void", is to utilize the current Supercharger locations the best way I can.

• Like x 1
  15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Very cool! The project details are, well, detailed...as @larmor said, it's sometimes easy to overlook the planning effort that has to go into these things.

• Like x 1
  16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Southlake, TX

Along Interstates: None
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5 mi): None
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

Neighbors:
    Catoosa, OK (TX-114,TX-121/SRT,US-75,US-69,OK-INT,US-75,I-44): 276 miles
    Dallas, TX (TX-114,TX-121,I-635,US-75) : 28.2 miles
    Arlington, TX (TX-114,TX-121,TX-360,u): 17.6 miles
    Childress, TX (TX-114,US-287,I-44,US-287): 221 miles
    Denton, TX (TX-114,I-35,u): 26.9 miles

Key value seems to be being on the Google-fastest route from the Southeast to Amarillo, TX and points west.

• Like x 1
  17. bollar

I'm curious -- how are you choosing the neighbors? Catoosa seems like an outlier compared to some others that are closer and didn't make the list.

[ This isn't a reply to @ItsNotAboutTheMoney ]
    Although Southlake is an important Supercharger for the route to Amarillo, I think the key values of these new (sub)urban Superchargers are the amenities that aren't available at rural Superchargers. I drove 4K miles this summer and the Superchargers were primarily at economy hotels and truck stops, plus an occasional outlet mail and Applebees. I would have valued an occasional Supercharger where I could have had my choice at any price point for a meal, an upscale hotel, a grocery store, shopping, parks & recreation, and so on. Southlake is regionally the first like this, and it won't be the last. the Dallas Supercharger at Treehouse will have some of these features and the unknown Supercharger in Plano will likely be the same.

And of course, for the increasing number of people who don't have charging at home, the amenities at Southlake & probably Plano are significantly more varied than Arlington (a hotel down the street, a great view and a nice walking path) and Denton (Walmart, Petco, Cowboy Chicken & JoAnn Fabrics). They're places you could go weekly to get your errands done or even choose between Superchargers as your schedule / needs allow, making an electric car viable for this demographic.

• Like x 1
  18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

The "Neighbors" are Superchargers where the Google-fastest route from the origin Supercharger to the destination Supercharger is direct, in that:
    - there is no nearer Supercharger within a 20 minute and 10 mile diversion of the fastest route
    - or the only nearer Superchargers within the 20/10 diversion limit are also within 20 minutes or 10 miles of the origin Supercharger. (This additional rule means that close "pairs" of Superchargers aren't their only neighbors.)

The idea is that in the long term Tesla doesn't just need to enable intercity trips, it needs to make all trips as convenient as possible, no matter where you start or end. At this point, I'm fairly generous with the diversion limits. Ideally, you would expect charging locations the same way you would expect gas stations: just off your route.

If you look at the fastest route from Southlake, TX to Catoosa, OK, it clearly doesn't pass anywhere near another Supercharger.

19. bollar

That's cool!

The Dallas, Denton & Arlington Superchargers confused me. :D

20. bollar

We spent a lovely hour with Southlake's Planning & Zoning commission this evening and had the application deferred because questions relating to landscaping, building materials for the Supercharger enclosure, impact to the neighborhood across Carroll Avenue and other questions related to Supercharger experience couldn't be adequately answered.

The application was tabled to the next regularly scheduled P&Z meeting September 7

A representative from Black & Veatch was on at 12:25. I wound up getting called up at 39:00 ish.

August 17, 2017 Planning and Zoning Commission - Southlake, TX Item 9