Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Southlake, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome work Rick. I mentioned to my wife I thought it was great everyone was mentioning you as the SME (by first name no less). While we are up here in the OKC metro, this SC location will be particularly convenient for us as we have a large contingent of family in NE Tarrant County (my wife and I are from Flower Mound and Colleyville, respectively).

Thanks again for taking what sounds like a good amount of your personal time to furthering this proposal.

Reactions: arcus and CarlS
Awesome work Rick. I mentioned to my wife I thought it was great everyone was mentioning you as the SME (by first name no less). While we are up here in the OKC metro, this SC location will be particularly convenient for us as we have a large contingent of family in NE Tarrant County (my wife and I are from Flower Mound and Colleyville, respectively).

Thanks again for taking what sounds like a good amount of your personal time to furthering this proposal.
That's kind of you.

Southlake is a small town and we all know (or at least know of) each other. Although Tesla Owners Club of North Texas members do a fair amount of work helping legislators understand all things Tesla, It's true that I take this Supercharger (and the Gallery) personally. Helping my home town legislators understand the benefits is almost "fun."

A special thanks to Rick Bollar on his excellent presentation and assistance on helping this measure pass. We have driven our Model S 90D 52,000+ miles in the past 15 months and have visited over 105 different Superchargers in 24 different states from our home on a ranch 50 miles southeast of Denver. Having 10 superchargers at this location will probably be a minimum as the huge number of Model 3s start showing up. WHERE were the Tesla People who are going to be running the store? It sure seems that those people should have been there to "assist" the poor lady from Black and Veatch. She sure needs some education on what she is representing.

A special thanks to Rick Bollar on his excellent presentation and assistance on helping this measure pass. We have driven our Model S 90D 52,000+ miles in the past 15 months and have visited over 105 different Superchargers in 24 different states from our home on a ranch 50 miles southeast of Denver. Having 10 superchargers at this location will probably be a minimum as the huge number of Model 3s start showing up. WHERE were the Tesla People who are going to be running the store? It sure seems that those people should have been there to "assist" the poor lady from Black and Veatch. She sure needs some education on what she is representing.
Thank you.

Supercharger strategy is apparently one of Tesla's deepest secrets and basically nobody in the company is authorized to discuss it -- definitely not Gallery / Store staff. I agree with all of you that having someone from Tesla who is authorized to discuss Supercharging would be great.

The applicant was much better versed on her second appearance and had taken initiative to learn more about Supercharging. I'm sure she'll be fine at future hearings.

Reactions: CarlS
I used the Tesla chargers behind the store last week... IMHO, it is a shame that they took so many precious parking spaces to make this Supercharger station - there is lots of dead space between the stands and the store. But it IS nice to have dedicated Tesla charging in addition to the two other places to charge your Tesla for free in Southlake Town Center. Based on the area demographics, dont expect any of them to be available during busy periods

I used the Tesla chargers behind the store last week... IMHO, it is a shame that they took so many precious parking spaces to make this Supercharger station - there is lots of dead space between the stands and the store. But it IS nice to have dedicated Tesla charging in addition to the two other places to charge your Tesla for free in Southlake Town Center. Based on the area demographics, dont expect any of them to be available during busy periods
Demographics - people with the money to charge at home, but would spend hours charging elsewhere to save a few $$.

:D

If I recall correctly, Tesla has offered their Supercharger infrastructure to other manufacturers. As recently as June this year I read "Tesla is ‘actively talking to other automakers’ about opening up its Supercharger network, says CTO JB Straubel".

Listening to the council members (or maybe P&Z), I had the impression that the "only for Tesla" or "Tesla vehicles only" seemed somehow distasteful (notwithstanding the fact that Tesla is so far out in front of everyone else on EVs and charging infrastructure.

Seems the point that Tesla, as the leader, has made, and continues to make the offer should be a big plus to the argument in front of the council. The fact that none of the other EV manufacturers have caught on, or woken up, shouldn't be held against Tesla.

Reactions: CarlS and bollar
Congrats on the City Council approval for the Southlake Supercharger.
Well, there is one more City Council meeting on Tuesday, October 17 where the final vote will happen.

Today's meeting was straightforward. The City Council's questions were easy for the property manager and the applicant to deal with and the overall mood was quite positive.

Actually, you're correct and I misunderstood the legislative process. This Supercharger is approved!

Now Sweet & Sassy will have to find another place to park their pink limo... hopefully... Or it will ice about 5 stalls.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 11.32.01 PM.png

I just collected, for each of the 32 current (or near complete) Tesla Superchargers in Texas, the restaurant/cafes that are within 500 m of the (proposed) Supercharger site. Southlake is second only to Denton in the number of places at which to dine. Throw in the bookstore, Apple Store and Tesla store, and it is going to be the premier stopover in Texas:

Southlake:
Mi Cocina
Corner Bakery Cafe
Bonefish Grill
Rockfish Seafood Grill
BRIO Tuscan Grille
Five Guys
Copeland's of New Orleans
Truluck's
Coal Vines
Sushi Zushi
Snuffer's Restaurant & Bar
Cafe Express
TruFire Kitchen & Bar
Jamba Juice Southlake Town Square
Pure Cafe
Del Frisco's Grille
RA Sushi Bar Restaurant
Taverna Rossa
Luna Grill
Modern Market
Starbucks

The data, above, was pulled up from the Google 'nearby' API. I note, that there are many more restaurants that extend beyond the fringes of the 500m radius.

I just collected, for each of the 32 current (or near complete) Tesla Superchargers in Texas, the restaurant/cafes that are within 500 m of the (proposed) Supercharger site. Southlake is second only to Denton in the number of places at which to dine. Throw in the bookstore, Apple Store and Tesla store, and it is going to be the premier stopover in Texas:

Southlake:
Mi Cocina
Corner Bakery Cafe
Bonefish Grill
Rockfish Seafood Grill
BRIO Tuscan Grille
Five Guys
Copeland's of New Orleans
Truluck's
Coal Vines
Sushi Zushi
Snuffer's Restaurant & Bar
Cafe Express
TruFire Kitchen & Bar
Jamba Juice Southlake Town Square
Pure Cafe
Del Frisco's Grille
RA Sushi Bar Restaurant
Taverna Rossa
Luna Grill
Modern Market
Starbucks

The data, above, was pulled up from the Google 'nearby' API. I note, that there are many more restaurants that extend beyond the fringes of the 500m radius.

There's still more:

Gloria's
Malai Kitchen
Steel City Pops
Howard Wang's
Cafe at Central Market

Outside 500m? The pop up so quick its hard to keep track.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
Not to mention the Hilton!

The city approved the permit application on Monday, October 16, so construction can begin whenever Tesla's ready.