Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Speculation: Large New One Coming to Central California along 101?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RE the permits database, last time I checked it did not have permits for outside Monterey the town... has that changed? If so I would like to look up the Canal street EV charging station in King City to find out more about that permit. Getting information from King City has been like pulling teeth which leads me to believe it's Tesla but they've been told not to tell anyone that.... not sure why these SC's are such a secret. There are also superchargers (e.g. Novato, CA) that are in final stages of construction but still don't even show as coming soon on the 2020 Supercharger map on Tesla's website.

I found the Big Sur supercharger through the Monterey County database, and it does have permits for King City. I have no idea if the database is comprehensive, however, so not finding a permit doesn't necessarily mean .there isn't one.

Are people confident that Paso Robles will be the "large new one"? If so I guess this thread would be about that one and the others would be split out.
No knowledge one way or another but I bet my imaginary dollar on the “big” station, if there is one, being in Soledad, and the Paso station being a conventional “Target parking lot” sort of station that we see a lot of in Central California.

Reactions: goldengate
When do we split this thread out into separate ones for Soledad, Paso Robles and Pismo Beach?
There is no need to split this thread. Those locations are all brand new grey pins on the Tesla Find Us page map. Please keep in mind that we do not know when permit applications will be filed for them (maybe in 2020, but maybe later), when construction will start, and we cannot be certain that Superchargers will even be built in those locations. Sometimes a grey pin never becomes reality. Those pins are “aspirational”. They are goals, not reality. After over six years of watching the Supercharger network build out I can tell you that is the way the Find Us page map works.

If someone finds a Supercharger permit application, approved permit, or signs of Tesla construction at any location they are welcome to start a new thread. In the meantime, it is always fun to speculate.

Paso is decent, but perpetually congested, expensive, and there aren’t a lot of great places to put a big station with easy freeway access. It’s also relatively close to Kettleman City for east/west travelers, and there are several existing options not too far south with Atascadero, SLO, and Buellton.

It’s a veritable desert to the north, with nothing until Salinas. I’d probably pick King City if I were stabbing at a map. Lots of cheap land, easy freeway access, and it fills a substantial gap.

It should be possible to get good undeveloped property in Paso that is close to the freeway for $100k/acre.

In the meantime, it is always fun to speculate.

Speculating is fun and I'm glad this thread is continuing, Since I-5 and the 101 are the primary North/South routes for travelers and commerce in California, discussion about building up the Supercharger infrastructure in these corridors is more meaningful since they address the last big hurdle for electric vehicles - long distance travel. These sites serve the traveller more so than the local resident looking to use it as their primary charging means.

A new larger Supercharger station located along the 101 should also be a snapshot into the future and consider Tesla's upcoming vehicles - namely the Semi and CyberTruck. Where will the first Tesla Semi Megachargers be located along the I-5 and 101? Kettleman, Paso Robles? Are there any Supercharger stations that can accept the width and length of a CyberTruck with a 5th wheel or other trailer attached? I know if I see a big CyberTruck in a Supercharger stall, I would rather park next to a smaller Model 3 and give myself some space. It will be interesting to see a Megacharger Station supporting all the different Tesla vehicles in one location,

In 2020, I would expect Tesla to show a glimpse into the future on how they will address these issues. The 101 and I-5 are the most likely candidates for such a Megastation.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate
A new larger Supercharger station located along the 101 should also be a snapshot into the future and consider Tesla's upcoming vehicles - namely the Semi and CyberTruck. Where will the first Tesla Semi Megachargers be located along the I-5 and 101? Kettleman, Paso Robles? Are there any Supercharger stations that can accept the width and length of a CyberTruck with a 5th wheel or other trailer attached? I know if I see a big CyberTruck in a Supercharger stall, I would rather park next to a smaller Model 3 and give myself some space. It will be interesting to see a Megacharger Station supporting all the different Tesla vehicles in one location,
It would be great to have such a Supercharger on 101 midway between SF and LA but I’m not expecting it. Currently only a small fraction of all US Superchargers have stalls that can handle an X with just a 17 ft trailer attached (like mine) and even then the trailer takes up a stall (which is why I almost always unhitch when charging). And note that the Cybertruck is 3 feet longer than the X. It will stick way out of any Supercharger stall; the X just fits into a stall without protruding into the lane. Charging Cybertrucks are going to be a problem. And if Tesla starts making some charging stalls longer specifically for the Cybertruck that won’t be a solution because S/X/3 owners will take those stalls if they need to charge.

I would really like to see a Supercharger at King City. I can currently manage the Salinas/Atascadero gap when towing at 55mph but it would be nice to have more choices.

Reactions: Axtrader
And note that the Cybertruck is 3 feet longer than the X. It will stick way out of any Supercharger stall; the X just fits into a stall without protruding into the lane. Charging Cybertrucks are going to be a problem.

Interesting thought. While there has been talk about "more pull through" format stations (just like Kettleman City) the speculated Paso Robles site in its current layout is 100% single stalls. (and full disclosure for those who haven't followed past posts, there is no evidence that this will be a supercharger site, just speculation)

There is nothing stopping Tesla from using a charge post layout which places the post parallel to the vehicle on the side of the stall (as opposed to perpendicular at the back of the stall) in a reverse-in style, this only allows for vehicles with small loads (bike racks, spare tyres) - not those that are not towing.

More on the River Lodge Motel site:

I found the permit search for PR is here: Accela Citizen Access

It needs a login but it's free and doesn't require local info so I signed up.

No building or permit results, but it does let you look up generic property information:

upload_2020-1-4_10-35-59.png

Sadly it's not Tesla, but google for "Zen Paso Robles LLC" suggests it is a trading name of the previous owner - so it just might not be updated yet!

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
It would be great to have such a Supercharger on 101 midway between SF and LA but I’m not expecting it. Currently only a small fraction of all US Superchargers have stalls that can handle an X with just a 17 ft trailer attached (like mine) and even then the trailer takes up a stall (which is why I almost always unhitch when charging). And note that the Cybertruck is 3 feet longer than the X. It will stick way out of any Supercharger stall; the X just fits into a stall without protruding into the lane. Charging Cybertrucks are going to be a problem.

The Cybertruck fits a greater working demographic in the Midwest but Tesla has a history of introducing everything first in California - a larger Supercharger stall with pull-through that can accommodate the Cybertruck will likely happen in California somewhere this year. Maybe 101, I-5 or East/West I-80 along the gateway to Lake Tahoe and Reno(Gigafactory).

Maybe the new Supercharger build locations should start increasing their stall sizes by 25% or at least build a pair of stalls larger at each location. I can see the handicap/ADA stalls being the only way to accommodate the Cybertruck if TESLA does nothing.

Wouldn’t it be funny if Electrify America built a larger pull-through stall for Rivian or Ford Electric F-150 first?... not really.

I really think Elon will want to pull this off first and have a great social media PR campaign behind it.

According to supercharge.info it seems 12 stalls now under construction at Goleta.
And 8 stalls planned for Santa Barbara by State St.
While this helps southern 101, I’m in agreement for a King City SC mega-complex ala Kettleman City style
to fill in the gap between Salinas and SLO.
Interesting the permit for goleta shows 12 stalls...the location that people have been speculating about (there's a green construction fence up in the parking lot at Camino real shopping center) doesn't look big enough to have 12 stalls, but maybe it's just a temporary fence and is not covering the whole site yet.